Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone else all stock?

When I bought my Fiesta ST I wondered if it would be a car that I would want to modify. It seems like a good platform with lots of potential from the turbo motor. But now that I've had it 6 months or so, I really don't see much I want to change. More power is hard to argue with, but really I feel like it has enough in stock form. It has plenty of torque steer and traction problems in 2nd gear already. The handling is pretty good and I don't want to make the ride any firmer. The stock exhaust even sounds pretty good to me, loud enough and no drone.

Really the only thing I've done is plugged the sound symposer. I feel like the car is pretty well balanced as it is. I even finally found tone settings that make the stereo sound acceptable. I could see some better speakers, but they are at least tolerable now.

Anyone else all stock like I am, and planning to keep it that way?

I had an FR-S which I also considered modding but ended up keeping mostly stock. That car was even more balanced in stock form and I felt like changing one thing would only lead to changing something else, all the while making the car worse in many ways.

Chris G

Not all stock, but it did take me 2.5 years to pull the trigger on any power mods...

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Not planning any power mods but I did make minor changes for comfort. Added small underseat powered subwoofer and high pass filters to the full range speakers. It takes up less usable space while giving great lows that are only heard when inside the car. Tinted windows are a given for me.

Also aftermarket shocks, will soon switch to lighter wheels and meatier tires, and motul 300 tranny fluid. May consider a catback system but that is still a maybe because I'm a bit picky on the sound so will probably need to hear one with just the sound I like before crossing that bridge. However I am fine with how it sounds now so I'm not in a rush or going out of my way to find one. Also looking at some shift knobs.

Oh my, what a question...

I think this car is a home run from the factory. I can see remaining stock forever (and I'm NOT that kinda guy!)... but not if you hang out on this forum - the modding peer-pressure is strong here, lol! I see threads all over about this mod and that mod, and I start thinking "well I NEED to have this this and this" before I stop myself and say "why?".

This is my daily driver. I drive at least 75 miles/day. My other car that this one took over duties for is a 2002 crown victoria with 206k miles (and counting), which I bought used in 2009 with 50k miles (about 21k miles/year). I need this car to last, so I don't want to do too much to it to make it "unreliable" (that's a relative term, i know). Aside from visual mods (window tint, some stickers, and LED turn signals), and a sub in the hatch, I have an AP3. I'm using OTS tunes for the simple fact that it has a low boost setting so I can squeeze out as many MPGs as possible on my daily commute, but still being able to switch to performance mode when I want to get on it and have some fun.

I'm trying to stay strong and keep it relatively stock... but I fear a catback is probably in my near future [shameful]

Great Thread, I often thought of starting a why did you bother to mod your fist......

For me my only mods are a knock off BOV adapter (inner 16yr old mod) and I will be switching out my stock summer wheels for 15x7 +35 summer wheels for comfort. I didn't want to mess with the cars balance either it really is perfect out of the box.

I may be looking to add a accessport in the near future but mainly to run the eco tune for winter months and daily commutes

For me it's a personal preference of what I like in want to get out of a vehicle. That being said, my mod list dwindled a bit when I took it home and drove the FiST for a few weeks. I came from a FoST and honestly that car needed a lot of work for what I wanted, I though the FiST would be some what similar (too for the masses) but I was wrong, thankfully.

My first mod was an AP, and I did that within the first week. I could have waited and even with all the RS rumors of low power during the first few hundred miles it didn't really dawn on me that my FiST would get moving, I couldn't even spin the tires in first to give you an idea how underpowered it was. Of course, by the time I was ready to install my protune the vehicle was livening up a good bit but I'm never against more power.

I installed my MAP intake at the same time and honestly that is more for sound then anything. Then again one of my biggest complaints is how the FoST isolated the driver so much, the FiST was an awesome and much needed change. I drive of feel and sound, my eyes are always looking forward, not at the dash, so things like vibrations and engine sounds help in rev matching. I thought I was going to have to replace all 3 engine mounts as well (again needed for the FoST) but just my RMM and no wheel hop along with better traction.

Ford really did an amazing job with the FiST. My whole plan for the past 4 years was to buy the RS but at this point and with the 18"s of snow we just got, I'm glad I didn't. I like raw vehicles, and the FiST is the closest interpretation while still having all the modern touches. I feel like the RS would still have that disconnected feel like the FoST and being heavier would only compound the problem. The FiST is so toss able and lively and perfect for my back-road commute. I never needed or wanted AWD or 400+HP, I want balance and a decent power to weight. When you have a vehicle that is as fun and playful on the limit, not to mention gives the security and confidence to do double the speed in white out conditions, it's hard to argue with how much more you really need. I could've put 10K into my FoST and still wouldn't of been satisfied completely, the FiST to me is about as perfect as a hot hatch can get out of the gate.

I tried, and kept it stock for the first year. Since this car is ripe for modifying, I figure in 10 or 15 years, a well-kept, stock FIST will be like coming across a well-kept stock Mustang that's 10 or 15 years old. Still a canvas for modifications, but easier to sell because potential buyers don't need to like the mods the original owner made to it. I found a bone-stock Fox body LX 5.0, and it was like a unicorn.

I plan to keep the FIST as long as I have kept my previous cars - about 10 years, so it needs to stay reliable, comfortable and fairly bulletproof. I did the Cobb stage 2 - enough to make it a bit quicker, but I like the stock handling so much I don't see modifying the suspension. I put Ford Motorsport wheels on it to give it a little character, but figure I'm "keeping it in the family" as far as OEM parts. Modifying is like a drug, and right now, with the intake, intercooler, and the rest of the stage 2 stuff, I figure I'm at least doing something to the car, and I can feel it. But, every time I think "I just need a downpipe, an exhaust and a more aggressive tune", I have to slap myself and say "NO!". That's crossing the line that requires changing back to OEM parts to pass smog checks, and it's also the line over which it's easier to say "Well, I've already done this much to the car, might as well go further".

Let's see how long I can stay on this side of the line...

I've kept mine mostly stock - did do the basic Mountune air induction upgrade (warranty friendly), Diode Dynamics LED fog lamps assembly/white switchback turn signals/headlamps/tail lights/ backup lights/license plate light; also a dead pedal, and a Boomba shift knob. I've kept all the old parts in case when sold (in the far, far future) bone stock would be more desirable.

Haha, I love how all of the replies are "Well I would have stayed stock, but then I just added X, Y, and Z." If you are the kind of person who just wants to drive the car but doesn't care about getting more out of it, there's not a whole lot of reason to stick around here to be honest.

Personally, I feel like the car handles fairly well stock (though a bit stiff/skittish on rough roads), but it also feels like a bit of a chained beast. You know there is more power there, but it is limited by torque truncation in first and second, and by the tune throughout. The AP, even with OTS tunes, opens things up quite a bit and just makes the throttle feel more responsive and linear. Pro tunes would do even better. Otherwise, the stock parts are fine, unless you plan on hitting the track, in which case I think an intercooler would be highly advisable. Even for longer canyon runs it would make a difference. But to each his own. If the car is enough for you as it is, then you don't need anyone else to validate your decision.

OP
R
Thread Starter #10
I'm not anti-mod, but I tend to evaluate each potential mod as to how it affects the entire car. The Fiesta ST, to me, is one of the rare cars that is greater than sum of its parts. That comes from the overall engineering and balance that has been put into the car. This seems unusual given that it is a hopped up economy hatchback and not a purpose built platform like the FR-S/BRZ.

A mild, warranty-friendly tune might make sense and be a net improvement to the overall car. But a big-turbo, extreme tune (as an example) I think would change the character of the car enough to make it unbalanced. To restore the balance would require more time, money, and mechanical engineering than I either have or care to put into the car. So I may leave good alone for now, and enjoy it for what it is, knowing it really isn't a blank canvas but a highly crafted and engineered balancing act.

I do wonder if this generation Fiesta ST will be seen like the old Sentra SE-R, E30 BMW, S2000. Something that turned out greater than the numbers on paper and maybe even better as a unit than what the engineers had even planned.

Mine is all stock too. There's nothing I want to change badly enough to justify the cost or hassle. It helps that I autocross the car, as any real mods would bump it into a class where it wouldn't be competitive.

Mine is stock other than window tint. I have Mustangs also and they are tweeked and tuned. I really wanted a tune for this car as well but it is my daily driver and will probably go to my son when he starts driving in 5 years. I figure if I keep it stock I won't be te,mpted to thrash the car and it will be in much better shape for him when the time comes. I have found driving my Mustangs in my daily commute is no where near as fun as driving this little pocket rocket. Driving a fast car slow sucks but driving a slow car fast is fun!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The only thing I've done are wider tires with a slightly taller sidewall... basically because I didn't have a choice for the tread pattern I wanted on a snow tire. The car rides like it was specifically engineered for the slightly taller sidewall... much less bounce and an almost normal suspension response for the many road skillets, speed-bumps and craters.

My next set will very likely be 215 45 17 as well.

I'd rather invest my time in oil changes and inspections versus swapping and re-swapping parts while hiring tow trucks for my vehicles. The only time I mod, is to affect a design flaw, such as the rear strut tower issue with my prior vehicle. (gap between body and strut mount traps water, salt, and sediment resulting with excessive rust and premature failure)

I "bought" this car used so there is no 0% financing from ford, any money I would've spent on mods I'm putting into paying the car off this time around. This self-prescribed restraint is making me do a lot more reading on the forums before any future purchases. Anyway, this car is way more enjoyable stock than my previous car (FoST) was in stock form so I'm pretty content.

Having said that..... I have already bought a used Boomba RMM on here (couldn't resist) and a set of aluminum steering rack bushings. Just waiting for some free time and nice weather to install. Next up would most likely be a tint when I have some spare cash; headlights in the rear view mirror is getting annoying. No more mods for a while after that. I swear.

I got mine slightly used. 100% stock. 9000 miles. I love it the way it is. Ill be putting ~120,000 miles on it, and loving it. Adding a catch can, and possibly a RMM.

I had big plans for tax season, but after driving the car more have decided to not add nearly as much as I had originally planned. Currently, only have a symposer delete and am happy with the car.

All I really want to do now is lighter/smaller wheels, K&N panel filter, Accessport with a custom tune, and a blow off valve (only because I've always loved the sounds...mist be my inner 16 year old trying to get out lol). I believe I will be completely happy with the car at that point, but won't be upset if those plans never come to fruition.

My '16 is stock except for a green filter and some leather bits from redline. I'm just cheap and I hate spending money but I'm going to be buying a Cobb AP here soon because the car really deserves to be woken up. My other car is an '02 Z/28 and it's stock except for an intake lid and a ported throttle body. If I can keep a 15 year old car stock, a one year old car doesn't have much chance with me. [biggrin]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
My '16 is stock except for a green filter and some leather bits from redline. I'm just cheap and I hate spending money but I'm going to be buying a Cobb AP here soon because the car really deserves to be woken up. My other car is an '02 Z/28 and it's stock except for an intake lid and a ported throttle body. If I can keep a 15 year old car stock, a one year old car doesn't have much chance with me. [biggrin]
I dunno...after all these years I never modded a car. Always kept them stock. This is the first I've ever modded one. Originally I was just going to make minor adjustments...I added a subwoofer, shocks, lowering springs, and a few minor things here and there. But now I'm already considering a custom tune. This car is just too easy to mod that you almost can't help catching the mod bug and this forum is feeding it like Thanksgiving, lol.

TL;DR:
Stock is great. But since it's your car, nothing wrong with individualize the look to fit the extension of your personality. People might judge me or my taste, but that's just the way our society is.

My car is still bone stock. Then again, I've only had my car for 10 months. The stock stance is pretty aggressive, so visually speaking it's pretty cool. I do get some asking what my car is lowered on, and usually followed by some look of disbelief, if not disgust, when I said it's stock.

Power-wise, I think I am good with what the car has to offer. It's a small motor, front wheel drive, with already some torque steer when pushed, so I'm happy with the zippy mid range power that gets me through traffic. And this is coming from someone who had a 600+ hp AWD car. I think I am just getting old, and enough was enough.

So my mods are gonna be primarily cosmetics, just to differentiate the car a bit from other owners'. So far, I've bought Mountune springs, Mountune panel filter, Garage Line spacers, wing riser kit, flashing brake light unit, and a bov spacer (unsure about installing this one). The mods aren't installed yet, and I am already planning for some Turbomac wheels when the next sale pop up. So... I guess, I am really planning to go all-in at once? I think some LED bulbs are in my future plans, too.

Lastly (for now), I plan to do the resonator-delete, so when careless drivers don't check their blindspots carefully, at least they can hear me.