Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big Power, Torque Steer, and You

AzNightmare

Question: Do you guys drive with one hand or two hands on the steering wheels?
I usually feel a bit of torque steer, but I also drive with only one hand on the wheel in the 6 o'clock position, cause my other hand is always resting near the shifter.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Also the smaller displacement of the engine made it easier to control as small displacement engines tend to produce less low end TQ and usually higher in the rev band. The FoST is a larger displacement engine. There is a reason that in drag racing the phrase there is no replacement for displacement. I.E. More engine more HP and TQ.
I have 350tq at 3000rpm. It torque steers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Lol,no one is jumping down your throat. You made some broad unsubstantiated statements that most of us do not agree with. So it begged us to question.
Do you have 25-30 plus years of driving experience? Your Z is a RWD car which have no TQ steer using it as example is absolutely ludicrous. It also shows your possible inexperience in driving a lot of FWD cars and really experiencing bad TQ steer. Lol

I have owned and driven V8 Mustangs, Datsun 510's built,engines and SSS powered, 240Z's, fully built SR powered and RB powered 240Sx's. Several BMW M3's. Honda's Original Fiesta's I.e. 79's , Inifiniti G20's aka P10's and P11's. Most likely left some out and yes a RB powered 240sx putting out 300whp.

The RWD cars do not matter but in the list you will see FWD experience. Experience I can draw from and seriously the TQ steer in the Fiesta ST is far from dangerous in my opinion. Like I said before if you think the TQ steer on the Fiesta is bad you should go drive a FoST if you want to see what noticable TQ steer looks and feels like otherwise..... Beg to differ on your opinion and have stated experience to back up my opinion.
Get over yourself.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Where did I say I couldn't handle it? The Fiesta ST torque steers. Period.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have 350tq at 3000rpm. It torque steers.

Of course it does , it has a bigger turbo strapped on and your pushing much higher numbers than stock. You have conveniently dismissed the fact that we were talking stock not modded. Lol

Nice a abstract comment on your part.

Get over yourself.

Lol I was merely stating my experience with a lot of cars to back up my statement. oh and since we are on the subject of getting over ones self I could say the same for your HP TQ statement. Lol

Oh and I was commenting to the point of people talking about the stock setup having excessive TQ steer. Which it does not, maybe a little but like I said before drive a FoST or even your car and it will night and day from the stock FiST you cannot deny that nor would I think you would.

Have a nice day

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Where did anybody specify the stock setup? The OP clearly was referring to modified Fiestas. But since we're on the subject of correcting assumptions, I am on stock turbo.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
As for circular logic, you dismiss the other guys experience with his Z since it is RWD, then you use a Mustang, Datsun 510, etc. as your experience. Are you aware that they are rwd also? lol

The thread is debating whether or not big power cars have torque steer, nor your stock turbo car. Try to keep up.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
One of the things I especially like about this forum is that nearly everyone here is more mature (I dare say that this is one of the maturest forums I've ever been on). If a conflict arises, people talk it out relatively good naturedly and if no agreement comes forth, someone usually takes the high road and it's done.

Maybe I spoke too soon but this thread unfortunately seems to be turning out to be the exception here...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

Yeah... so I asked a pretty legitimate question. You guys driving with one or two hands on the wheel? lol

I don't have a lot of experience in a variety of cars. I can say this car does torque steer a bit (stock turbo, 93 stratified tune). Maybe it's because I'm holding the wheel loosely with 1 hand. Maybe cause the wheel track on this car is so ridiculously narrow that it just pulls to a side whenever it hits a bump on the road, I don't know.

Either way, it never felt unsafe for me, even when I only had 1 hand on the wheel, because this car is so narrow, I could veer left and right 10" and still be within my lane.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I'm still not feeling any "torque steer" even with an X47. The power is very linear and it doesn't fight me like my Speed3 did with about 50hp and 30pft torque less. I can easily keep the car going in a straight line with one hand on the wheel. lol

I feel no discernible torque steer in my car but it definitely wanders at full boost, sometimes to an alarming extent. I have full braces, TTR mounts, Bilstein B14 kit, LSD and 595 RS-R's that I've set at various pressures with little improvement.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I feel no discernible torque steer in my car but it definitely wanders at full boost, sometimes to an alarming extent. I have full braces, TTR mounts, Bilstein B14 kit, LSD and 595 RS-R's that I've set at various pressures with little improvement.

Yes sir. You are like me and are not "omg this is the best car ever made"

We understand there is a problem. Can we fix it? Probably not cause it's a design flaw. Look at the type R with 350 to the front wheels and little to no TQ Steer. But the front suspension is built to keep it away

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^How much do you want to bet that even your 'Godly' Type R will still 'wander' as Raindog states, when all of those 350 ponies are delivered to the front wheels??

The HPD engineers/techs are GREAT, but they are NOT 'miracle workers' who can collectively overcome (and re-write) the FWD laws of physics! [nono]