Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Senior Member 1306 Rep Points Hijinx's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Fairview Heights
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Big Power, Torque Steer, and You

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    There are some things which are definite. For instance, you're alive if you're reading this. Or perhaps, that big power and torque steer come hand-in-hand on a FWD platform. The former is very true, but the latter is case-by-case. I can with faith, tell you, reader, that big power in a Fiesta ST does NOT come with lane changing torque steer. At least, not in my experience. I'm by no means qualified to talk about the chassis, (so I chose to post in Performance Tuning, move if need be) but I believe, in conjunction with the powerband shift of a big turbo, our stiff chassis works to mitigate that problem.

So my post comes with two purposes. One is to submit in-cabin video of racing my car as evidence to prove there's little more (if none at all) torque steer added with yuge power. The other purpose is to hear out opinions and possibly view footage of their torque steer. I'm especially interested to see the recent rash of hybrids perspective on this. I also realize that torque steer could be subjective (weight/strenght of the person) because I'm not a small guy. But I don't feel that I have to hold on to the steering wheel any harder than before.

Here is video evidence 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1TKCNtItsg

Video evidence #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ZZyO08t0A&t=2s
    The Most Powerful FiST

What's that? Facts.

Can you prove me wrong?

Member 82 Rep Points

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    SOUTH BOUND BROOK
    State
    NJ
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good post, when i got my fist i was so used to my fost having such bad tq steer (stage3+) that it was amazing to have a car with a similar power to weight and basically no tq steer, so its good to know a bt/hybrid wont affect that too much
    DHM PROTUNE, MTC INTERCOOLER, COBB 2.5" CATBACK WITH VIBRANT RESONATOR, CP-E CAI, GFB DV+, MBRP CHARGE PIPE, VELOSSATECH SNORKEL, BOOMBA STAGE 2 OCC, BOOMBA WING RISERS, BOOMBA SHIFT PLATE, MOUNTUNE FRONT SPLITTER, RALLY ARMOR MUD FLAPS, VELOSSATECH DIFFUSER FINS

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Fairview Heights
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TUX15ST View Post
    Good post, when i got my fist i was so used to my fost having such bad tq steer (stage3+) that it was amazing to have a car with a similar power to weight and basically no tq steer, so its good to know a bt/hybrid wont affect that too much
    Years ago, I test drove an MS3. I was driving a 2003 Eclipse GTS, so I had heard of torque steer. Being my first experience it was crazy to me. I didn't realize I'd have to hold on to the steering wheel and it damn near ripped out of my hands. I decided I didn't want an MS3.
    The Most Powerful FiST

What's that? Facts.

Can you prove me wrong?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Surprise
    State
    AZ
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my caliber srt4 was retarded torque steer. not so much in the fist with around the same power level

Member 76 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    LA
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

I'm not 100% on this but I've found that a somewhat off alignment can have an affect as well...some cars, when from the factory, are somewhat lacking in their alignment and that in itself can make torque steer worse. Some dealers will check and make proper adjustments before placing on the lot or before handing off to the customer but not all.

Member 269 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Stuart
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Good thread Hijinx. My report is noticeable but easily manageable torque steer with Cobb S-3 stock turbo, Cyborg, and C39. I am running a Quaife, so it probably helps, but I installed it to get earlier dig out of turns, not to manage TS. It definitely provides the traction I desired. After running with it 2 years, I do not remember stock torque steer well enough to compare. And I started messing with hybrids after LSD was installed.

Medals
    City
    Fairview Heights
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neeqness View Post
    I'm not 100% on this but I've found that a somewhat off alignment can have an affect as well...some cars, when from the factory, are somewhat lacking in their alignment and that in itself can make torque steer worse. Some dealers will check and make proper adjustments before placing on the lot or before handing off to the customer but not all.
    That's a fair point. I can see funky alignment causing more torque steer.
    The Most Powerful FiST

What's that? Facts.

Can you prove me wrong?

Medals
    City
    Evans
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those videos are great. How is it that you don't have troublesome torque steer when many of the BT reviews I've read/watched mention the driver complaining of massive torque steer? Most recently is the one from the Mountune M265 upgrade, he mentions torque steer several times in the review.

A bit confused at the conflicting reports but happy for you that you aren't running into that problem.
    Hey, check out my build thread!

Medals
    City
    Fairview Heights
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Those videos are great. How is it that you don't have troublesome torque steer when many of the BT reviews I've read/watched mention the driver complaining of massive torque steer? Most recently is the one from the Mountune M265 upgrade, he mentions torque steer several times in the review.

A bit confused at the conflicting reports but happy for you that you aren't running into that problem.
    Maybe it's the 6-point brace? My other idea is that my powerband is to the right and I'm moving out by the time I hit my 382wtq peak. An OEM frame hybrid turbo still produces a ton of torque on the low end. Maybe the lower speeds exacerbate that? That's basically why I started this thread. I want to see what contributes to the torque steer others complain about: is it perception or mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Most Powerful FiST

What's that? Facts.

Can you prove me wrong?

New Member 9 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Anaheim hills
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I had a MS3, and torque steer was awful. Hit a paint line and into the next lane you go. I have a much better power to weight ratio in the fist and don't get anywhere close to as much torque steer as the speed3.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast