Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big Power, Torque Steer, and You

Dpro

6000 Post Club
It has the most torque steer of any FWD car I've driven. You guys can downplay the torque all you want because we "own an ST and we think it's a great car", but we're not addressing the problem if we refuse to admit it exists, as it does. How do we get rid of it, or at least dampen it?
Seriously I come from the RWD world. Have driven many FWD cars as well though. You think the FiST has a lot of Torque steer? Hahahaha go drive a FoST, compared to a FoST a FiST has negligible torque steer. Also drive some other FWD cars with power.

One of the reasons I like the FiST is the negligible if any torque steer.
Of course like people have noted a lot of times with Higher output FWD engines it can increase . It is indeed also affected by the power band of the engine like Hijinx observed

. There are a lot of dynamics in a FWD that can detract or contribute to this and I do feel Ford of Germany did a great job of tuning the dynamics of the car to get around it.
Also the smaller displacement of the engine made it easier to control as small displacement engines tend to produce less low end TQ and usually higher in the rev band. The FoST is a larger displacement engine. There is a reason that in drag racing the phrase there is no replacement for displacement. I.E. More engine more HP and TQ.

the torque steer in my x37 car is not as discerning as the feeling of loosing traction at the top of each gear right before shifting. boyracer

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I think anybody who says this car has little to no TQ steer obviously don't know. It's the worst car I've ever driven with TQ steer.

I come from RWD also and it's unsafe how hard this car yanks

Speaking of MazdaSpeed torque steer.... (fun starts at about 40s)

[video=youtube;b1Ic09IsZCA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Ic09IsZCA[/video]

I gotta say my FiST doesn't have bad torque steer at all. I have been caught with the steering wheel pulling me a little when I'm coming out of a corner but it's nowhere near my old MS3. If there was anyone near me on the street a lot of times I didn't feel too comfortable doing a full pull. I haven't driven a big power Fiesta but I feel even comparing stock vs. stock the Ford does much better keeping you in control.
Interesting you say this. When I used to have a MS3, any time you did a pull it would throw the car all over the road with any little crack or anything the car met in the road. I don't experience this with the FiST nearly in the same way.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I also came directly from a torquey RWD into this car (with a 4 month break of not driving anything at all), and although I notice a little bit of torque steer in the stock power FiST, it is not nearly overwhelming. ;)

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I think anybody who says this car has little to no TQ steer obviously don't know. It's the worst car I've ever driven with TQ steer.

I'm guessing you've never driven a 2nd generation Mazdaspeed 3? The old Sunbird GTs had the worst torque steer I've ever felt, but that was back in 1986 lol

Dpro

6000 Post Club

This I feel is a grossly exaggerated statement again I point you to the FoST as it has ten times worse torque steer. I have driven both cars and many FWD and RWD cars . I have owned NA FWD cars that have more torque steer than a FiST. Is this like your second car? How much driving experience do you actually have.

Perhaps you have not really driven any cars with really bad torque steer? As you say you came from RWD and maybe RWD was your first car.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I also came directly from a torquey RWD into this car (with a 4 month break of not driving anything at all), and although I notice a little bit of torque steer in the stock power FiST, it is not nearly overwhelming. ;)
Imagine me jumping from a 325pft front wheel drive car to a 700pft rear wheel drive car every day. The Fiesta is pretty tame as far as manners, especially with a good RMM

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
How much driving experience lol

Won't even waste my time. The TQ steer is unsafe. My 350 made 100 more HP and TQ to the wheels and I can gun it with my eyes close and it would track straight

Old turbo Hondas have less then this car. Only car I'd say is close is a SRT-4 Neon, these cars are pretty comparable from TQ steer standards.

My driving experience? Haha my Z probably saw more track time then your car will ever get. Don't jump on somebody's throat just cause you don't agree. Chill

Interesting you say this. When I used to have a MS3, any time you did a pull it would throw the car all over the road with any little crack or anything the car met in the road. I don't experience this with the FiST nearly in the same way.
This was even made worse with my Nitto NT01 tires. I experienced, and heard from other people that they're exceptionally darty when doing straight line pulls. If I kept that MS3 for another season I was going to try something like an M&H radial but I just got tired of the car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This was even made worse with my Nitto NT01 tires. I experienced, and heard from other people that they're exceptionally darty when doing straight line pulls. If I kept that MS3 for another season I was going to try something like an M&H radial but I just got tired of the car.
When it comes to the point that I must drive around on the STREETS with a drag radial on the STEERING wheels [nono], it is time for RWD/AWD. [wink]

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Won't even waste my time. The TQ steer is unsafe. My 350 made 100 more HP and TQ to the wheels and I can gun it with my eyes close and it would track straight

Old turbo Hondas have less then this car. Only car I'd say is close is a SRT-4 Neon, these cars are pretty comparable from TQ steer standards.

My driving experience? Haha my Z probably saw more track time then your car will ever get. Don't jump on somebody's throat just cause you don't agree. Chill
Lol,no one is jumping down your throat. You made some broad unsubstantiated statements that most of us do not agree with. So it begged us to question.
Do you have 25-30 plus years of driving experience? Your Z is a RWD car which have no TQ steer using it as example is absolutely ludicrous. It also shows your possible inexperience in driving a lot of FWD cars and really experiencing bad TQ steer. Lol

I have owned and driven V8 Mustangs, Datsun 510's built,engines and SSS powered, 240Z's, fully built SR powered and RB powered 240Sx's. Several BMW M3's. Honda's Original Fiesta's I.e. 79's , Inifiniti G20's aka P10's and P11's. Most likely left some out and yes a RB powered 240sx putting out 300whp.

The RWD cars do not matter but in the list you will see FWD experience. Experience I can draw from and seriously the TQ steer in the Fiesta ST is far from dangerous in my opinion. Like I said before if you think the TQ steer on the Fiesta is bad you should go drive a FoST if you want to see what noticable TQ steer looks and feels like otherwise..... Beg to differ on your opinion and have stated experience to back up my opinion.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The last FWD car I had before this one was an '89 A2 GTI 16V.

Downright ANEMIC as compared to this car in power AND torque, but it STILL had at least slightly worse torque steer than this car does. ;)
This is a CREDIT to the Ford engineers, as far as I'm concerned! [thumb] [driving]

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #36

Pot, meet kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously I come from the RWD world. Have driven many FWD cars as well though. You think the FiST has a lot of Torque steer? Hahahaha go drive a FoST, compared to a FoST a FiST has negligible torque steer. Also drive some other FWD cars with power.

One of the reasons I like the FiST is the negligible if any torque steer.
Of course like people have noted a lot of times with Higher output FWD engines it can increase . It is indeed also affected by the power band of the engine like Hijinx observed

. There are a lot of dynamics in a FWD that can detract or contribute to this and I do feel Ford of Germany did a great job of tuning the dynamics of the car to get around it.
Also the smaller displacement of the engine made it easier to control as small displacement engines tend to produce less low end TQ and usually higher in the rev band. The FoST is a larger displacement engine. There is a reason that in drag racing the phrase there is no replacement for displacement. I.E. More engine more HP and TQ.
My statement was still true. "It has the most torque steer of any FWD car I'VE driven." I haven't driven a FoST.

If you don't want to deal with torque steer or any other side effect of a high performance vehicle, get yourself a Chevy Spark. Go drive an SHO Taurus and then let's talk about TS [wink]

The fun part about these cars is that not everyone is capable of driving them.

My statement was still true. "It has the most torque steer of any FWD car I'VE driven." I haven't driven a FoST.
So is this your only car you have driven that is fwd? I used to own a 2009 civic (not the si) and during wot it had more torque steer than my 2016 Fiesta St has during wot.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So is this your only car you have driven that is fwd? I used to own a 2009 civic (not the si) and during wot it had more torque steer than my 2016 Fiesta St has during wot.
This is exactly what I am talking about. My G20's had more TQ Steer than a FiST and they were putting out 140hp and slightly less TQ.
Seriously both the guys arguing that the FiST has excessive or lots of TQ steer really do not have much if any FWD experience and their total driving experience I suspect is not over 10'years perhaps 50% less. If I am wrong then I apologize in advance but I bet I am right. lol
Oh and the FiST being dangerous lol ya in a downright fun factor get a ticket way.