Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

P061B DTC, wrench light, limp mode, etc

grnmachine02

Started having an issue here as of late. So far, I have only had it happen once after washing the car, and again after it snowed. However, at this point I can get it to throw a code and go into limp mode almost on command. Symptoms are as follows:

usually pulling a slight grade, 2-3k rpm, 1/2-3/4 throttle. Seems to be a spot where our little turbo will just start to SPOOL very quickly, 16-18psi, then the car will buck, wrench light, limp mode. Won't rev over 3k rpm, no boost. I can pull over and clear the code, and right back in business. Code is P061b.

After some google-fu, it appears that this code has to do with torque calculation. I assume I'm over over shooting a torque table within the ECM's parameters, and it goes into fail safe. I have contacted my tuner, and we are working on the issue.

I was just curious if anyone else has ever experienced this.

V_2

Did you ever get this figured out? I had a similar event this morning when merging onto the interstate. No MIL, pending codes, or wet weather, but the wrench light came on and the car had a really hard time driving at speed at 25% throttle. But it did go into boost just fine and drove well at city speeds. Assuming it's a combination of throttle/load/ECU map causing the problem. I am in touch with my tuner, as well, and he mentioned the P061B which is how I found your thread.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #3
Yeah I got it worked out. Just took a little bit of tune tweaking. I don't really know all the specifics, but it's basically the car not liking the amount of torque vs the rpm you are at.

V_2

Good deal, thanks for the update.

Definitely a scary moment. I had the same feeling in my ranger when it lost a cylinder.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #5
Yeah it's a surprisingly violent limp home mode. Makes you think something is seriously wrong.

I had the same thing happen to me just now. I have the revo hybrid turbo and methanol injection. It seems like having traction control on with methanol doesn’t mix for some reason. Obviously the wheel spin is insane with methanol injection and a hybrid turbo so it kinda makes sense. I pulled over and reflashed my car and it was fine afterwards. I just can’t run traction control on high boost circumstances with methanol injection. But there is a way to adjust traction control which I haven’t tried yet.

not sure if this is a similar issue, but after installing my catless downpipe from depo racing, im throwing code p0420, not suprising as that is the code for a cat reading. I was curious if I got an accessport would I be able to just deactivate that code? I know cobbs ots stage 3 map gets rid of the code, but I don't have an upgraded intercooler so im skeptical about running a ots tune without having all the required parts installed.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
not sure if this is a similar issue, but after installing my catless downpipe from depo racing, im throwing code p0420, not suprising as that is the code for a cat reading. I was curious if I got an accessport would I be able to just deactivate that code? I know cobbs ots stage 3 map gets rid of the code, but I don't have an upgraded intercooler so im skeptical about running a ots tune without having all the required parts installed.
NOPE you cannot just deactivate it. You can try a de-fouler/ o2 trickery or have a tuner Turn it off.

Ford Community Posts