Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Odd Vibration Noise - Dealer suspects transmission?

https://goo.gl/photos/XzRYiC1Sriv6seFh8

I have a 2015, with about 28k miles on it. Over the past few weeks my car has started making the noise you can hear in the video. Dealer originally replaced a rear wheel liner that was drooping and showed signs of rubbing - thinking it was the source of the noise.

It happens when accelerating around 3000 rpm in 4, 5, and 6 gear mostly, but can also be heard occasionally when driving over rougher surfaces or cornering at lower speeds (under 25mph).

The car is now into the dealer again and they were instructed by Ford to tear down the transmission.

Has anyone else experienced similar sounds or problems?

Yup. Was a transmission replacement for me. Got new one installed, and noises are now worse.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Wow that sounds terrible. First I've heard of this issue. Goodluck and please update if you learn more

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
N
Thread Starter #4
Will do.

Had a Cobb RMM and a pierce motorsports lower front brace. Both removed and the sound continued.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Keep us informed...I do believe that someone on here had 3 Trans replaced for noise....the first two brand new and the 3rd a reman. Haven't heard anything bad yet about the reman. Maybe he will chime in and let us know how things are going now.

OP
N
Thread Starter #6
Dealer has completed their transmission tear down and emailed me the following:

510-verified concern found that car vibrates and makes noise when shifting 4 5 6 gears and noticed it when coming on or off the freeway on ramps with some lean to it .contacted hot line they rec removing trans dissemble and check. took trans out of car dissembled it found that teeth on syncro 3 and 4 are chipped and the 3 and 4 blocking rings are chipped too also found that 1st and 2nd syncro sleeve hard surface coming off due to overheating 1 st and 2nd syncro and blocking rings are chipped too both diff bearings are scored and found input shaft front bearing scored and the output shaft front bearing is scored too and the fluid had shiny flakes in it. tried to p/a parts various parts are not serviceable like front bearings and some snap rings and shift forks. rec new trans
If they hit their end of the month target, my car will have been in the shop almost an entire month.

My diff and input/output shaft bearings were also messed up. Sigh.....Replacement trans is making lots of whiny noises too. I guess I'll have to take mine back for a second trans. This car.......

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

OP
N
Thread Starter #8
Dealer has swapped transmission, told me it is still making the noise. They say they need more time to assess what could be the cause.

My thoughts are it could possibly be something in the turbo?

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I had a noise like that when charge pipe was hitting on crossmember if remember right. Had me
Super worried at first lol.

OP
N
Thread Starter #10
I had a noise like that when charge pipe was hitting on crossmember if remember right. Had me
Super worried at first lol.
You were EXACTLY right.

It is annoying that they had my car for almost a month and did such invasive work when it could have been a 5 minute fix if they had bothered to check.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
You were EXACTLY right.

It is annoying that they had my car for almost a month and did such invasive work when it could have been a 5 minute fix if they had bothered to check.

That's awesome that figured it out. Mine happened when my buddy went off course At autocross with my car so I was little worried on way home. Jacked car up when got home and it took a min to figure out.