Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Factory brake pad and rotor lifespan

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I'm at 5,000 miles and noticed my rotors are already starting to get marks. I can't imagine I'll get 20,000 out of them.

Grinding at seven thousand! Glad to hear they're easy to change.^
I was a little out of hand when I got the car. Also possibly someone did practice icy parking lot donuts / 180s at my neighborhood abandoned mall. I regret nothing.
I knew I couldn't be alone! My rotors are very worn at 13k miles. I have a large bus parking lot near my house that stays empty most of the time. So naturally it's my TT course on the way home from work everyday. (or was before the winter tires ruined everything) It doesn't help that I've tracked the car a few times and live in a very hilly area with narrow roads and sharp bends. Also when I'm in a hurry to work I usually go about 120mph and have to slow rapidly when an American decides he's going to just cruise in the passing lane.

My brakes also are up for full replacement (all rotors and pads) at 21k. Rotors have a significant lip on them and the inner front pads are down to 2-3mm. Rears have a little more at about 3mm. I usually leave all the "nannies" on as I mostly use the car for freeway blasting and zipping through traffic, and as you can imagine, I'm hard on the brakes given the traffic where I live. In my opinion, the OEM equipment is fine, but knowing that they're going to go out in another 20k miles or so, why not invest in something with more longevity? I'm going that route. Suggestions?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
38k and going strong with no issues
I take it that you turn off all of the nannies you can, every time you get into the car, as I do?
(I'm NOT in a big hurry to wear out the factory brakes, as I'd rather put that coin into seats and suspension first! [wink])

32k pads were down to metal way under on minimal on rotors as well. A lot back road curves to and from work. 95% in sport or esc full off.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #27
Gotta say, I'm very impressed with the Power Stop Z23 pads I have on the car now with new oem rotors. Stopping power is comparable to the stock pads, with almost zero dust.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
It all depends on driving styles. Highway will be long distances. City less. Aggressive less. One thing I want to point out. I did complete brake job yesterday ( posting pictures later) and both top slider pins on the rears were seized. Somehow water got in. This will affect performance. So even if you don't need brakes check the everything moves correctly.

I just changed mine at 17K miles. I could easily have gotten 5K more, but I was changing wheels/tires and just wanted to do it all at once.
Seems that is consistent with many who report 23K - 30K brake changes.
I never would have gotten 30K, y'all must be saints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Given the same exact type of usage, would the factory 'soft' pads (supplied with the PS AS/3s) last more or less miles than the 'hard' factory pads (supplied with the summer only, RE050A Potenzas)?? [dunno]

CSM

1000 Post Club
2014 with 32k miles. Mostly highway, and I baby this car, rarely any aggressive driving.

I actually went to change the rotors/pads yesterday (along with other maintenance), but upon inspection, looks like I still have plenty of life left. Will probably re-check in 5k miles.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
2014 with 32k miles. Mostly highway, and I baby this car, rarely any aggressive driving.

I actually went to change the rotors/pads yesterday (along with other maintenance), but upon inspection, looks like I still have plenty of life left. Will probably re-check in 5k miles.
34k same results.

Given the same exact type of usage, would the factory 'soft' pads (supplied with the PS AS/3s) last more or less miles than the 'hard' factory pads (supplied with the summer only, RE050A Potenzas)?? [dunno]
We had an option for tires?? I know the FoST did...

I changed out at 36.4K. Had about 1mm left on inside pads, 2mm on outside pads on front axle. Changed rear at some time. 2mm on rear pads both sides while all rotors had a big lip on the outside edges. Don't recall if at or below discard limit but not resurfaceable for sure.

Big issue I found was seeping brake fluid from right front caliper piston seal. Also noticed slide pin boots on both rear calipers were split open and leaking grease. Front boots were looking slightly iffy as well. Can't make up my mind if that is from drying out due to spraying calipers with wheel cleaner to get brake dust off during washes or if that's actually Ford quality issue. I am for sure the seeping seal is but the slide pin boots is a question mark.

I drive my car hard, no track yet but it does get the beans on the street. Mostly highway driving and hard on brakes off highway, otherwise very ginger on slow pedal in traffic.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I have 31k on the factory brakes and will be giving them an inspection later this week when I put on the summer tires. When I checked in the fall when the winter tires went on the car, the pads looked like plenty of life was left. Rotors also look to be in great shape.

Waterfan

Data Point:

2014 FiST @ 34k miles:
-OEM Front pads replaced (the grabby, dusty, aka "awesome" pads) with current motorcraft pads (less grabby/dusty, still quite awesome)
-Rotors turned, not replaced.

EDIT: 60/30/10%, hwy/city/canyon-blast

kevinatfms

49,519miles here on the OEM Bridgestone's and OEM pads/rotors. 4/32 on the front tires, 3/32 on the rears. Pads are 3-4mm all around and the rotors are about toast(min thickness).

kevinatfms

[ohcrap] Was that mostly highway? That's impressive.
Yes, i bought the car to use as a daily driver to work and back. So i drive 100 miles approx. per day to my current jobsite plus weekend duty and trips. 50k miles since December of 2014. My beater at the time of purchase was an 03 Elantra that had well over 250k miles(lost count due to odometer problems). So i traded my 05 Mustang GT track day car in for the FiST and used the Elantra till it quit(clutch gave out). Fiesta became the full time car as i was going to buy a truck(still havent decided which one).

Once i get the truck the Fiesta will go into track day and weekend toy.