Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Alignment Needed?

Just bought General GMAX AS03 tires from Discount Tire. Size is 215/45R17. They didn't have them in stock but will in a couple days for installation.
The tireguy said that because they are oversized from stock, I should get a front end alignment. He wasn't trying to sell me something extra because they don't do alignments there.
I'm no tire/suspension wizard so need some advice. Is an alignment necessary because of this different tire size?
Thanks,
Tom

Tire size/wheel size is not going to affect alignment in any way. If you had anything else replaced at that time(control arms, tie rods, struts, etc) then an alignment would be warranted. The only other reason to get an alignment when getting new(er) tires, is to correct any bad or unwanted tire wear shown on the tires coming off.

Hope that helps.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
If you have any doubt, what you could do is drive it first for a few thousand miles and see how it is tracking. After a few thousand miles when its time for a rotation anyway or if you detect that the car is not tracking right, look at how your tires are wearing and if you see signs of uneven wear, then you might want to get an alignment after the rotation.

Give the tires a little time to break-in first though.

Close inspection of your tires over the first 5,000 miles will tell you if all's OK.

Tire size/wheel size is not going to affect alignment in any way. If you had anything else replaced at that time(control arms, tie rods, struts, etc) then an alignment would be warranted. The only other reason to get an alignment when getting new(er) tires, is to correct any bad or unwanted tire wear shown on the tires coming off.

Hope that helps.

As a person who used to do alignments, this is correct. That being said, if you haven't had an alignment in the last 10,000 miles, or you are experiencing a pull or odd wear on your current set of tires, there's no better time to get one. :)

OP
TomCat
Thread Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your responses. Getting tires installed tomorrow (actually today, it's after midnight).
[MENTION=6709]JT Fiesta[/MENTION] --- others on this Forum have had this size tire installed with no rubbing problem. I'm at stock height.

OP
TomCat
Thread Starter #9
Tires installed, they look & handle great, no rubbing issues.
In Michigan we have crap roads so the extra sidewall height will hopefully help prevent major rim/tire damage if a crater-sized pothole is encountered.
The extra width is pretty impressive, especially when seen from the rear.
I'd post a couple pics but not sure how [shameful]
They are in a file on my desktop, not in a smartphone.

You can get a free account on postimage.org. No fancy anything. It just works.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Yip, all stock, I have the same tire size (P215/45R17) and love it.

If the tread on the original set showed no issues, never return to that shop again. They're trying to hose you. Tell friends and family about the place.

I've had several similar experiences and none of the places get repeat business. When someone abuses your trust, vote with your feet.

Just nod your head like you believe and agree with'em and refuse service. No need to let-on that you aren't being fooled.

Also, the magic words when at the counter, particularly if you do all of your own work are: "NO INSPECTION PLEASE"

That cuts a lot of the BS off at the head and cuts a good fifteen minutes (depending) off your visit.

Have a trustworthy honest and good mechanic? Why not tip them?