Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Why do you get more HP and torque out of MP215 VS Cobb stage 1?

Hi guys I've been trying to do the most research be for I go the Mountune or cobb route. I'm not super tuning savvy. I don't understand why you don't get the same results with the Cobb stage 1 map vs the mp215. And from my understanding the mp215 is more conservative. Also I've heard you get a Mountune tune if you buy the Cobb Ap from Mountune. Is that the same map just not warranty friendly because its on the Cobb AP. It looks to me like you get near the same numbers with the MP215 as you would get with stage 2 upgrades with Cobb

And one last question. If I decide to go the Mountune route they told me I can add the Mountune FMIC, Exhaust, and charge pipe with the MP215 and retain my warranty. So what are the best numbers I'm looking at with those things added to the MP215? Sorry if this has been discussed but I could not find the answers in the forums. Thank you in advance

The Cobb tunes are more conservative, i would compare Mountune more to stratifieds flash tune rather than stage 1.

I bought my AP from Mountune and you get a full custom tune with randy with your purchase. You go through and put what components you have upgraded (FMIC, CBE, etc.) and then he will email you a base map to flash and ask you to record data logs. Then you send the logs back and he modifies the tune. You do a couple rounds of logs and updates, then you have a custom tune.

I think it is a great value and the whole experience was pretty sweet. I don't believe the MP215 is the same way, I think that is more of an OTS tune but I could be wrong.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Remember Mountune has worked with Ford for decades in Europe. They have knowledge and contacts. The MP215 is a proprietary tune that Moutnune said(I would as a lawyer) its exclusive to MP215 thus Cobb said fine but we are limiting features of the AP (not all dials are present for example). Base on that Mountune was able to know what are the safe limits. Likely received information from Ford and submitted back data to make it waranty friendly. Cobb went the safe route for the stage 1.

All said get a custom tune from anyone is better than the Cobb OTS or the MP215.

OP
RobbyD
Thread Starter #6
Ok thanks for the help guys! I think I might go the Cobb route. I really didn't want to swap out my Injen intake for the Mountune anyways

codestp202

I just went from a Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune to a DHM custom tune. Ron and I are on our third revision so far, and the car feels COMPLETELY different. The cobb tunes leave a lot on the table to run any car in any location. The DHM tune completely woke up the car, the power comes on earlier and much stronger. I was maxing out around 20psi in the Cobb tune, and I hit 26 psi yesterday with the base 3 DHM tune.

Should actually have a more reliable tune with a custom tune, due to it being made specifically for your motor, your conditions, and your modifications.

If you get the Mountune branded AP, you cannot run any other tunes correct?
Correct. And from what I've read, you CANNOT remove/uninstall it, it's locked to your VIN. So if you changed your mind later and sold it, they'd have to pay like $500 to get the thing unlocked to use again.

Zormecteon

Correct. And from what I've read, you CANNOT remove/uninstall it, it's locked to your VIN. So if you changed your mind later and sold it, they'd have to pay like $500 to get the thing unlocked to use again.
NO.... the mtune that comes as a part of the the mp215 IS locked to your car and cannot be changed or removed except by a FORD dealer, but an mtune purchased from mountune is NOT so locked. If it were, Randy couldn't do those custom tunes. (at least that's the way I understand it .. check with Randy. )

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
NO.... the mtune that comes as a part of the the mp215 IS locked to your car and cannot be changed or removed except by a FORD dealer, but an mtune purchased from mountune is NOT so locked. If it were, Randy couldn't do those custom tunes. (at least that's the way I understand it .. check with Randy. )
Please do not label ALL AP3 from Mountune a MTune.

MTUNE is locked. Can upgrade from MP215 to MR230 and possibly another tune in the future for a turbo upgrade...

AP3 from Mountune with custom tune IS NOT the MTUNE and therefore is not locked to the vehicle but has a custom tune that is NOT the MP215. --> http://www.mountuneusa.com/COBB-V3-Accessport-ECU-Flasher-Focus-ST-Fiesta-ST-p/ap3-for-001.htm or other non MTUNE kits.

this is the one i was talking about (and I believe enamelizer was also) mountune m-tune

That one IS locked to your VIN so it will work with your factory warranty.

Please do not label ALL AP3 from Mountune a MTune.

MTUNE is locked. Can upgrade from MP215 to MR230 and possibly another tune in the future for a turbo upgrade...

AP3 from Mountune with custom tune IS NOT the MTUNE and therefore is not locked to the vehicle but has a custom tune that is NOT the MP215. --> http://www.mountuneusa.com/COBB-V3-Accessport-ECU-Flasher-Focus-ST-Fiesta-ST-p/ap3-for-001.htm or other non MTUNE kits.
Right. That's no different than any other Cobb AP3 from any other vendor - EXCEPT that Mountune INCLUDES a custom tune with theirs! BONUS!

Zormecteon

this is the one i was talking about (and I believe enamelizer was also) mountune m-tune

That one IS locked to your VIN so it will work with your factory warranty.

Right. That's no different than any other Cobb AP3 from any other vendor - EXCEPT that Mountune INCLUDES a custom tune with theirs! BONUS!

My bad. I had confused an mtune with a COBB AP sold by mountune. .. I stand corrected.

I didn't even realize they sold a non-locked AP, but that makes sense.

Given that, I don't really see the value in the MP215 kit over Cobb Stage 1 kit w/ custom tune if you can reach similar power numbers. It's a lot cheaper, you get a RMM, and you aren't left with an AP locked by industry politics. I guess it entirely depends on how much you value the Ford warranty approval eh?