Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking for Motorcraft Full Synthetic Oil?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
If like me you have had trouble finding the Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5W20 for our ST's I have found a source for the Kendall GT1 MAX which is the same. I don't know what the deal on the Motorcraft oil is but you can't have the parts places or Wally world order it either. So being the anal retentive type when it comes to oil for Fifi (my ST and granddaughters name) I finally tracked down a source for the Kendall online. So to save you the trouble it comes from Petroleum Service Company. They have the Phillips brands and Sunoco oils for automotive oils. With shipping to E. TN a case of 12 Qts was $54.92 or $4.58 a Qt. ($23 for 5 qts) so the price is about the same or less than other top tier oils. Wrench ON [raceflag]

20170214_141218.jpg 20170214_141320.jpg

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Honestly for the money, just buy the gallon of Mobil1 for $22 from Wal-Mart. I'm sure this isn't a bad oil though. Does it meet Ford WSS-M2C945-A specifications?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
YES IT DOES! (meet that spec), one of the reasons he posted this thread. ;)

Some feel that their (Phillips-Conoco's) titanium additive works better than the 'trimer' type Infineum brand molybdenum additive which Mobil 1 uses (and they also co-own Infineum with SOPUS).

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
This IS the Ford oil so yes it meets the Ford specs.......The Mobil 1 is a good oil, but no titanium. The Castrol Edge is the only other oil than the Kendall that has the titanium additive. I used it for my last oil change because I could not get the Motorcraft/Kendall GT1, I was looking for the actual factory oil for my car and wanted the benefits of the much higher shear strength and friction reduction of titanium. All top tier oils are excellent for our cars. But the Kendall GT1 oil Ford chose is what I prefer to use. As you say the price is comparable other than the PIA of having to go to Wally world to get it and the taxes. The UPS guy even puts it in the garage for me.

This post is for those looking for the Ford oil and cannot find it. I have for 53 years been anal with my car care. I have never had an engine failure due to wear or lubrication with one car given away driving fine with over 300K using dino oils only. This is the first car I think needs a synthetic..........Wrench on!

BTW, the US Government is one of those that "believe" in the titanium oils based on tests by the Dept. of Commerce's NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) showing friction reduction as high as 40% less than other oils. This increases fuel mileage and reduces wear......two great reasons to use an oil with titanium.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
BTW, the US Government is one of those that "believe" in the titanium oils based on tests by the Dept. of Commerce's NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) showing friction reduction as high as 40% less than other oils. This increases fuel mileage and reduces wear......two great reasons to use an oil with titanium.
^^^IF this IS a reality, maybe I WILL just switch to this stuff, or just keep using the Edge EP, once I use up the (one change each) Amsoil Sig Series, and Motul Specific 948B I have stockpiled. [wink]

When you mention the greater "shear strength" of the titanium additive, are you referring to a way that it is resistant to having it's plating effect worn away, in a better way than moly/boron/antimony/etc., or something else? [dunno]

I ask because I have ONLY heard shear (resistance/weakness) mentioned previously in reference to either base stocks, or polymeric viscosity index improvers/pour point depressants, NOT in reference to anti-wear/anti-friction additives, or add packs, which by their very nature, and purpose, are 'sacrificial', and do break down and lose their effectiveness over time.
Is THAT what you meant by "greater shear strength"?

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Shear strength refers to an oil's ability to maintain viscosity (thickness). The oil molecules are basically long strings that allow the oil to coat the metal. If an oil has a low shear strength the strings will be easily broken physically by the compression and friction between the metal parts. An oil with high shear strength will NOT easily breakdown and will provide better coverage and less wear and friction. One study stated the shear strength was 5 times higher with the titanium. Kendall has used it since 2007 and holds a patent on its liquid titanium as does Castrol on their version. Either one would make me happy! Zinc is a cheaper, less effective additive that as I understand it causes catalytic converter problems and will be phased out.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Shear strength refers to an oil's ability to maintain viscosity (thickness). The oil molecules are basically long strings that allow the oil to coat the metal. If an oil has a low shear strength the strings will be easily broken physically by the compression and friction between the metal parts. An oil with high shear strength will NOT easily breakdown and will provide better coverage and less wear and friction. One study stated the shear strength was 5 times higher with the titanium. Kendall has used it since 2007 and holds a patent on its liquid titanium as does Castrol on their version. Either one would make me happy! Zinc is a cheaper, less effective additive that as I understand it causes catalytic converter problems and will be phased out.
But the titanium is NOT a component of the base stock, which is what determines the actual shear strength of an oil, and WHY so many ONLY trust an oil with a majority Group 4/5 base stock makeup.

Titanium is an anti-wear, anti-friction additive (and it is also used to a lesser extent as a detergent/dispersant agent as well, just like magnesium is), and a replacement for; ZDDP, moly compounds, boron, and antimony AW/AF compounds, NOT as a component of an oil's base stock.
(Unless you know something about these titanium containing oils' base stocks which no one else knows, or, more likely, are implying that the titanium's friction reducing capabilities are SO great that they go 'above and beyond' anything else to prevent heat and friction from breaking down/shearing those molecular chains of the oil's base stock???)

I would do without almost ANY ZDDP in the oils I use IF that were a possibility (it has been proven to turn acidic, and corrosive, especially in high{er} PPM amounts), but I am against the drastic reduction of all of the other various, beneficial anti-wear, anti-friction compounds (including titanium) by the EPA, and API standards/regulations, which seems counter-productive to me, as they cannot 'kill' the catcons like ZDDP can and will IF it gets past the rings/valve seals and gets into the combustion chamber.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Sorry, you must not understand what I am saying, I am not "implying" anything just quoting studies. I am no oil expert to debate petroleum chemistry, that is why I turned to various tests to learn what little I know. If you want to know how it works you will have to dig deeper than I did I am just not that interested in the mechanics of it all to spend the time. I have fun things to do and reading research papers has never been high on my fun list. If you find out what the deal is on the increased shear strength let us know what's up! I just care about the results. The tests are the place the 5 times the shear strength came from......how it happens with the titanium I assume is black magic. As to the "group" as I understand it only Mobil 1 and some Amsoil oils use a group 4. Group 5 is basically chemicals. The Kendall synthetic uses food grade mineral oil (baby oil) as the basis for their synthetic. Can't get much purer than that as a starter. I don't know what the Castrol Edge uses. And I want the titanium, that is the whole purpose of this thread is to let people know of a source for the Ford recommended oil. So Mobil 1 is not an option for me without the titanium. Wrench on!

Last edited:
Awesome find, I was trying to locate a source for this oil and found another site that is selling for over twice the price. Do you know if Max is just the new branding?

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Yes, they added MAX to the label and PSC discounted the old stock.....so I managed to get some for about $3 a Qt delivered. For other cars I also ordered the Sunoco Blend at $2.25 a Qt.! They have some great sales sometimes.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I also found out that they WILL let me pick it up at their Wilkes Barre headquarters, if I am going to be up that way, just have to pre-order it online, or over the phone first! [:)] [thumb]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Sorry, you must not understand what I am saying, I am not "implying" anything just quoting studies. I am no oil expert to debate petroleum chemistry, that is why I turned to various tests to learn what little I know. If you want to know how it works you will have to dig deeper than I did I am just not that interested in the mechanics of it all to spend the time. I have fun things to do and reading research papers has never been high on my fun list. If you find out what the deal is on the increased shear strength let us know what's up! I just care about the results. The tests are the place the 5 times the shear strength came from......how it happens with the titanium I assume is black magic. As to the "group" as I understand it only Mobil 1 and some Amsoil oils use a group 4. Group 5 is basically chemicals. The Kendall synthetic uses food grade mineral oil (baby oil) as the basis for their synthetic. Can't get much purer than that as a starter. I don't know what the Castrol Edge uses. And I want the titanium, that is the whole purpose of this thread is to let people know of a source for the Ford recommended oil. So Mobil 1 is not an option for me without the titanium. Wrench on!
OK, cool, I was not sure if you knew something we did not, that's all. [coolsmile]

I WILL try this stuff in the near future though. [wink]

Not all Mobil 1 oils have group 4 /PAOs in their base stocks (just the Euro 0W-40, at least it used to before the last re-formulation, and some of their EP, and 0W-xx oils).
Most of the Amsoil products have some/maybe a majority of group 4/PAOs in their base stocks, with the exception of their OEM, and XL lines.

ALL of the other 'boutique' oils out there (the ones NOT on the shelves at Wal Mart/AA/Vato Zone) have some PAOs in their base stock mixes, with many also having a high percentage of group 5/POEs as well (like; Red Line, most Motul products, Torco SR5, Millers Racing, etc.).

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
I have always used conventional oils for the past 15 years as I have not had a high HP/CI engine that presented the RPM's and pressure of our ST engine. So I took the easy way out of the oil conundrum and follow Ford's lead. But getting the stuff has become a problem, my last change was the Castrol Edge with titanium, a very good oil also and a sponsor of the Ford GT racing. I find it interesting that both the oil they resell and the one oil sponsor are the only two titanium oils......Reading the tests on the titanium convinced me it is worth the trouble to find. Picking it up makes it really a deal $3.50 with taxes maybe? $17.50 for a gallon....I wish!

Last edited:
OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
UPDATE: Since Kendall's patent on the Titanium additive ran out Castrol was the first to jump on the Titanium wave and now there are even more onboard. I believe even Mobil 1 has joined the herd finally. Put the Titanium in your car no mater what brand you use to get the benefits shown by U.S. Government testing. Who would NOT want proven reduced wear, lower friction and lower temps? Just had a case of the Kendall delivered yesterday....cost was $4.50 a qt delivered. Same price as the Castrol Edge with Titanium at wally world but I don't have to go buy it and save the taxes (9.75% here). The Castrol oil is our standby if we are on the road as we will be this summer and will need an oil change. ANY oil with Titanium is a big improvement in motor oils. I buy lots of oil, we change at about 3500 miles and use 14 qts for the 2 cars per oil change![wrenchin] Wrench on!

Last edited: