Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Ford Dealer in my country has decided to turn off (at least what I know) the TPMS module in the ST solds, since they are not mandatory in my country (which is awful). However I would like to know if it is possible to enable it just by buy it the green little machine and the TPMS sensors and doing the process described in the first page. Will be enough to active it??

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Is the TPMS module installed in the vehicle? I wonder if it only starts to warn you at some stupidly low pressure like 15 PSI.

To save folks some time and money, it may take several tanks of fuel to wake up the sensors. I likely unnecessarily replaced a set of sensors, only to run into the same problem with "wake up" the following season. So, if you store your tires away and pull them out months later, to find that one or more sensors are totally dead, drive on them for several tanks before writing them off.

just put my winter tires on and of course didnt mark them try the setup on my 2014 fiesta st and worked perfectly thanks for the great info to flash the sensors

For a 2019 ST the Hazard light sequence will seem to work, you get the horn honk and a message on the Cync 3 display indicating that the car is in TPMS Learn Mode but it won't allow you to re-program the system for a new sensor. What you have to do is the method that uses the start button. Note, the insert for the 2019 ST owners manual outlines the Hazard button sequence but when I had Firestone install my new wheels and tires what the technician used was the start button method.

I'll also note that each time pressing the start button switches the ignition ON you need to wait for the center display to fully load up before pushing the start button to turn the ignition OFF. Thus the suggestion for a 2 second pause between button presses that turn the ignition to ON.

As for how long it takes to wake up a new sensor Ford states that 2 minutes of driving is all it takes. However I know from a failed attempt at teaching the system it takes 25 minutes after starting a drive before a TPMS fault will show up.

I will also note that Thursday morning I had my TMPS light come on about 2 minutes after leaving the house. Tires looked OK so I continued my drive into work. Once there I found that the Drivers rear had something that sort of looked like a nail in the tire and the tire pressure was 23.5 lbs. Based on that I suspect that a loss in pressure to 24 psi or less will trigger the TPMS system. Note, what was actually stuck in my tire was a rivet stub that someone didn't take the time to pick up. On a 205/50R16 that level of pressure is perfectly safe for driving at normal highway speeds for a short distance, however with a 205/40R17 you'll be facing an increased risk of a cracked rim if you hit a pothole or bad expansion joint.

PS; good news for me is that the tires on my car are Firestone's installed at a Firestone dealer. So having the tire patched was a zero cost option that only cost me some of my time. Note, some would say why not just plug the tire and be done with it quickly. IMO that is a bad choice to make. Because plugs tend to produce a slow leak and installing the plug does a lot of damage to the belt in the tire. Since my ST is only a few months old with new tires that were installed 4 days after it was delivered I am not going to plug those tires.

Last edited:
I got my TPMS sensors at the same time as I purchased the 16 inch wheels from Summit Racing. Note, also checked with the dealer where I purchased my Fiesta and with their "employee discount" they wanted 76.00 USD each. The high cost of these sensors is why I won't be putting sensors in the Snow Wheels I'm going to put together for this winter.

I disabled the TPMS system entirely on my ST with the Forscan tool. The sensors are expensive, fail often and are plain annoying and unnecessary. If my tires are flat or low I notice it almost immediately without the cheesy sensors anyways.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Does the method in the Fiesta ST supplementary manual involving bleeding pressure from a tire until the horn beeps do the same thing as having the training tool?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Does the method in the Fiesta ST supplementary manual involving bleeding pressure from a tire until the horn beeps do the same thing as having the training tool?
I'm pretty sure that it does. It's just more trouble because then you have to pump the tires back up, so you obviously need to do it where there is a pump handy. This was a particular problem for me after I tried the reset procedure in the manual after I had had my almost new TPMS sensors transferred over to my new aftermarket wheels. By the time I realized it wasn't working, I had let most of the air out of the tire trying to get it to happen. It turned out one of the sensors had been damaged in the transfer and wasn't going to reset. After that fiasco I broke down and bought the TPMS 19 training tool.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
OK. We have a grocery store that has three free airhoses behind their gas station where I can mess with it, plus I have an air tank and compressor. I think I'll give that method a try.

DaveG99

I had a faulty sensor on my 2016 fist so when I got new tires the other day I had them install a set of new sensors I got off ebay. I also ordered the programming tool off amazon. I figured out the procedure to get the car to go into learning mode. The first time I got the first three tires to beep with the tool. The last tire would not beep. So I'm thinking maybe one of the new sensors is bad. So I go for a 20 mile drive (had to go somewhere) and when i get home i try it again. Now none of the tires will beep when I put the sensor next to them. The red light comes on on the tool but I may go get a new battery just to be sure its sending a strong signal. Why is this such a pain in the ass?

Update: tried again this morning and the first three tires recognize the programming tool but the last tire will not give me the beep confirmation. I'm convinced I have a faulty sensor. I messaged the ebay seller and I'm waiting a reply. It's such a pain in the ass to have to pay someone to remove a tire to access a sensor that's faulty. This sucks.

Last edited:
Just trained my winter set using the tool with ebay TPMS sensors and full air pressure. The instructions with long pauses didnt work for me but pressing the ignition button quickly and at an even pace got it to go into the right mode. From there the tool worked really quickly

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Yeah, there's another thread where they link a video of CJPonyparts.com showing how to do it on a keyless Mustang. The procedure on the Fiesta is identical. There's no need to hold the starter button for 2 seconds; just pres-press.

Just trained the TPMS, it only took one try, works like a charm, instead of turning key ON/OFF just press the start button same amount of times the rest of the procedure is the same. Any questions feel free to IM.

Replaced wheels with 16inch, new tires and new EBAY TPMS sensors, one of the sensors would not activate while doing the learning procedure (TPMS was in sleep mode), it took about 400 miles for the sensor to wake up, tried the TPMS procedure again today and worked like a charm.

Replaced wheels with 16inch, new tires and new EBAY TPMS sensors, one of the sensors would not activate while doing the learning procedure (TPMS was in sleep mode), it took about 400 miles for the sensor to wake up, tried the TPMS procedure again today and worked like a charm.
I am having issues with the TPMS sensors I purchased. Could you share what model # you purchased?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Is the TPMS module installed in the vehicle? I wonder if it only starts to warn you at some stupidly low pressure like 15 PSI.

To save folks some time and money, it may take several tanks of fuel to wake up the sensors. I likely unnecessarily replaced a set of sensors, only to run into the same problem with "wake up" the following season. So, if you store your tires away and pull them out months later, to find that one or more sensors are totally dead, drive on them for several tanks before writing them off.
Update on this. The issue was, I just needed to hold the device much closer (almost right on) to the sensor for activation and pickup. I've had no delays or issues since I started holding the device up against the inside of the wheel beneath the sensor.

Update on this. The issue was, I just needed to hold the device much closer (almost right on) to the sensor for activation and pickup. I've had no delays or issues since I started holding the device up against the inside of the wheel beneath the sensor.
I've been having issues with mine getting to learn. What year is your FiST? Do you know what model number you used?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It's a sixteen, stock wheels and OEM sensors. The replacements I (needlessly) purchased were also OEM. I believe I got my replacements from the For Sale section here on the forum.

Part# they're using here ...
https://www.villagefordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-sensor-9l3z1a189a?c=bD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMmYT1mb3JkJm89Zmllc3RhJnk9MjAxNiZ0PXN0JmU9MS02bC1sNC1nYXM=
... is 9L3Z-1A189-A.

Much less here.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=9L3Z-1A189-A

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
its easy to get them to learn if you have the little tool. I bought a pair of Amazon and have a spare if anyone wants it. $7.50 plus shipping. Though ya all you have to do is get the system going in learn mode then point the little tool at the base of your valve stem when you hear your horn honk once move on to the opposite wheel aka left front to right front to right rear to left rear. After each honk move on. Once done turn the ignition off and restart the car and you should be good to go . I have done on multiple wheel sets no problem.