Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

NEW Product: whoosh motorsports FMIC $349.99 FREE SHIPPING

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

Thanks for following up with them Ron.
I didn't mean to stir anything up. Just reporting what I came across in the install process. I can say that these can be installed without removing the plastic under-piece. Trimming it was actually the first thing that popped into my head.
They really do use up ALL available space in there, which is why that 3/16" gap made such a difference.
Would I buy this again? You freakin bet! It wouldn't be modding if something didn't have to get "modified" along the way.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #82
Thanks for following up with them Ron.
I didn't mean to stir anything up. Just reporting what I came across in the install process. I can say that these can be installed without removing the plastic under-piece. Trimming it was actually the first thing that popped into my head.
They really do use up ALL available space in there, which is why that 3/16" gap made such a difference.
Would I buy this again? You freakin bet! It wouldn't be modding if something didn't have to get "modified" along the way.
thanks
I'm going to throw mine on and take some video
maybe I can tweak a few things to make it easier - I'll post up in a few days

brbauer2

thanks
I'm going to throw mine on and take some video
maybe I can tweak a few things to make it easier - I'll post up in a few days
Thanks Ron for the follow-up and possible videos!

I did say I'd update with a picture of mine for comparison, but I can't find any measuring device to save my life...unless you want a banana for scale.

Hey all,

I just installed my intercooler last night. Super smooth, basically direct bolt in following the instructions for the cobb intercooler install. So far the FMIC is awesome!

Only issue I had was one bracket that i broke. A couple Cobb videos as well as the instructions from their site said to bend it down and out of the way. Yeah.... it broke. I was able to zip tie up the center where the mount broke and that worked really well.(see pictures)

Oh, one last thing. The little rubber pieces that get transferred to the new FMIC. I found that it was easier to pop these in place on the car first and then slide the FMIC in place. I tried putting them on the FMIC first as all the instructions say and they were difficult to get into place that way.

IMG_20170227_201818.jpg IMG_20170227_202130.jpg IMG_20170227_205142.jpg

That's the bracket I notched with a dremel the clear the bottom of the intercooler. I actually broke mine too after I notched it while pulling the intercooler in and out several times. You can save it with jb weld epoxy or grab a new one and notch it... If you want, or just leave the zip ties...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Does anyone know if the cp-e IC has all of these same fitment problems, or necessitates breaking those brackets to get it into the car??

I hope not, since I have yet to install mine. [:(]

That's the bracket I notched with a dremel the clear the bottom of the intercooler. I actually broke mine too after I notched it while pulling the intercooler in and out several times. You can save it with jb weld epoxy or grab a new one and notch it... If you want, or just leave the zip ties...
I thought about trying to fix it, but honestly the zip tie works great! lol

I kept the part in case i want to fix it in the future. Being that it is in an area that is never seen, I think the zip tie will serve me well.

^^^Does anyone know if the cp-e IC has all of these same fitment problems, or necessitates breaking those brackets to get it into the car??

I hope not, since I have yet to install mine. [:(]
I am not sure about the cp-e FMIC but most direct fit FMIC (Cobb, Mountune, etc.) all have this issue from what I am seeing in their directions. You can also avoid breaking the mount by just removing it. After removing it you could either make a plastic plate to extend it down, notch it, or just replace with zip ties and keep it if you ever want to go back. Besides that one bracket everything went together really smoothly.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am not sure about the cp-e FMIC but most direct fit FMIC (Cobb, Mountune, etc.) all have this issue from what I am seeing in their directions. You can also avoid breaking the mount by just removing it. After removing it you could either make a plastic plate to extend it down, notch it, or just replace with zip ties and keep it if you ever want to go back. Besides that one bracket everything went together really smoothly.
THANKS!! [thumb]

The cp-e being the biggest, highest capacity core size stock fit/factory crashbar retaining IC out there (except for some of those 'unicorn' Euro offset/stacked ICs), I guess it would HAVE TO have this same problem.

I will have my Dremel handy when I get around to installing it in this spring. [wink]

just ordered a black one!

first thing i have bought for this car, which now has 775ish miles. first-first thing was a hitch, which doesn't count.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #92
just ordered a black one!

first thing i have bought for this car, which now has 775ish miles. first-first thing was a hitch, which doesn't count.
already sent you tracking !
thank you for the order!

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #93
fresh stocking order just arrived

plenty of polished and black intercoolers IN STOCK

[clap]

Spaceman_Spiff

Got mine installed today. Definitely remove the center bracket on the bottom. I couldn't get my bumper to align on both sides with that installed. I also had to use zip ties on the brackets that go around the front of the fmic because the bolts hit the fmic and scratch it all up - i was concerned it would eventually wear a hole in it.

So far so good, looks like a great product at a great price! My only gripe is that I didn't get any stickers. [poke]

This intercooler is pretty great so far... I'm seeing intake temps about 2-3 degrees warmer than ambient. Charge temps are 2-3 degrees warmer than that... I have seen the charge temp dip below ambient a few times while driving... Not idling, driving. I just flashed my stage2 tune from panda and just started logging some 3rd gear pulls so I'm gonna keep an eye on those numbers during a pull next time. But so far, so good. Can't wait to get the cp-e intake and big mouth installed to see what that does for intake/charge temps...

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #97
still have tons of polished and black intercoolers IN STOCK - ready to ship

[driving]

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Installed my intercooler today and the fit was pretty good. Only thing I had to do was remove the center bracket the holds the bottom splash shield and trim a bit where the bottom splash shield extends upward right in front of the intercooler and bolts near the crash beam. Here is a log of the charge temp with an ambient temp of 85*, the max temp reached was 105* and it was like the 6th pull I did.

datazap-chart1.png

This is definitely the FMIC I am eyeing to get. Now just have to save $$. I definitely need something to keep the car cool in the Arizona heat. Already getting into the mid 90s. [bawling]

How's everyone like it that has it??

Got mine installed today, ended up just using the Cobb instructions. I know there was mention of cutting off the middle mount that the bumper bolts to, mine ended up just being a bolt holding it in. Maybe an "upgrade" by Ford on 16+?