Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is there a chance the US won't get the next Fiesta?

Wouldn't they get that with the EcoSport? Its pretty much the same car right?
It is built of the B segment platform. But I personally doubt it will be able to fully replace the fiesta in the line-up from a fuel economy perspective. And from a fleet average standpoint it would benefit more to have both in the line-up I'd think.

How much cred does the 'future vehicle' ribbon on Ford.com have? The new Fiesta is not shown, even though the new ranger and bronco are.

[scratch]

It is built of the B segment platform. But I personally doubt it will be able to fully replace the fiesta in the line-up from a fuel economy perspective. And from a fleet average standpoint it would benefit more to have both in the line-up I'd think.
No doubt the EcoSport would have worse fuel economy over the Fiesta. But isn't the fleet average based on the sale volume of each car? So it would benefit only if more ecosport and fiestas were sold combined?

No doubt the EcoSport would have worse fuel economy over the Fiesta. But isn't the fleet average based on the sale volume of each car? So it would benefit only if more ecosport and fiestas were sold combined?
You don't think the ecosport will have lower fuel economy? It's a heavier car making due with the same powertrains. Especially in it's 4wd form it's going to have a weight deficit to the fiesta. They may be similar, but I think the Fiesta will still come out better overall.
EDIT: My brain is super messed up apparently. Thought you challenged the ecosport having lower fuel economy...

As for the fleet average, I honestly can't say how it's calculated. But even if it is calculated by sales volume, I don't think the ecosport will cannibalize the fiesta sales entirely. I'm sure it will take some, but it may also take some sales from the focus. But more likely it will pull some of the Trax/Encore crowd over.

Though, I also just really don't want to see the fiesta go. So I may have a biased view [:p]

You don't think the ecosport will have lower fuel economy? It's a heavier car making due with the same powertrains. Especially in it's 4wd form it's going to have a weight deficit to the fiesta. They may be similar, but I think the Fiesta will still come out better overall.
EDIT: My brain is super messed up apparently. Thought you challenged the ecosport having lower fuel economy...

As for the fleet average, I honestly can't say how it's calculated. But even if it is calculated by sales volume, I don't think the ecosport will cannibalize the fiesta sales entirely. I'm sure it will take some, but it may also take some sales from the focus. But more likely it will pull some of the Trax/Encore crowd over.

Though, I also just really don't want to see the fiesta go. So I may have a biased view [:p]
That could have been phrased more clearly since 'worse' can mean different things in different contexts. The ecosport will for sure have lower fuel economy than the fiesta. If I were to hazard a guess, it wouldn't be by more than a point or two though, given the fuel economy hit from the added weight and aero drag would be slightly offset by the more fuel efficient power-train.

Anywho I don't want to see the fiesta go either. And I can't believe I'm saying it - but I hope the steps toward a more fuel efficient future have not been in vain, and that there will remain economic sense to keep the Fiesta stateside. Apparently the CAFE standards are due for a midterm evaluation in 2018 (see the third paragraph down on some info about the policy).

Exciting times to be in politics and on the CAFE board!!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The Fiesta is the US is NOT a big seller. The ST enjoys good success in a niche market. Ford will not build a new factory to build the Fiesta in the US as they could never recover the costs. Ford would rather feast on the F-150 domination and the US markets love of SUV's. Until gas goes to $5 a gallon small efficient cars are dead. If production stays in Mexico and we place a tariff on the imported cars then for sure they will be a dead subject in the US as the price would make them non-competitive. That's my two cents and worth every penny!

Cheap Gas + History of Automatic Trans/Sync Issues + Low Interior Quality + Small/Cramped for Class + Low Status Image + Dealerships don't even know what it looks like or that they have them (story is on here somewhere) = Declining Sales

Declining Sales + Relaxed Regulations + Buy American (Fiesta sounds way too Mexican, because it literally is built in Mexico) + Tariffs + Printing Money from F-Series and soon Bronco + Ford doesn't want to talk about it = Fiesta is no more

What to do then?
CUV Trend + Perceived Higher Safety, Status, Quality + Lifestyle Choice ("ECO" - "SPORT") + Not Named "Fiesta" + Serves as entry to Ford's SUV Lineup (Higher Profit Margin) + More Space for Family/Stuff = EcoSport reigns

I bet they'll have an EcoSport ST or Raptor-lite trim if it does well enough.

Another interesting thing is that the 2017 Fiesta ST is now accesible by itself under what I believe to be a new Performance Tab on the main Ford site, so maybe they will just bring the ST over?

Fiesta and EcoSport sitting side by side, which one will the average American buy?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
US market is important but the world doesn't revolve around it. Developing cars with the mindset of only competing in the US is one of the factors that lead to the bailout situation. Trends started overseas and those manufacturers imported that styling here. US consumers loved it and bought them; domestic manufacturers suffered. Serving up only what they think most US consumers want, may come to bite them in the butt... again. Next time there may not be a progressive Administration around to bail everyone out.

Everyone that sees it, loves it. But I had to search far and wide to find a place to buy it. Non-existent marketing and poor availability can be the untold story when it comes to sales.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Did I hear correctly that Ford plans to shutter it's 'small car' plant in Cuautitlan, and that this was in the works well BEFORE the Orange Fuehrer invaded our country, and started threatening import tariffs for domestic goods made in Mexico and shipped back here, due to dropping/poor sales?? [???:)]

Or was this merely rumor and heresay? [dunno]

Brura22

Did I hear correctly that Ford plans to shutter it's 'small car' plant in Cuautitlan, and that this was in the works well BEFORE the Orange Fuehrer invaded our country, and started threatening import tariffs for domestic goods made in Mexico and shipped back here, due to dropping/poor sales?? [???:)]

Or was this merely rumor and heresay? [dunno]
Nah you heard correctly. In the works before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
http://fordauthority.com/2016/12/the-new-ford-fiesta-may-not-even-arrive-in-the-us-for-2018/

"We here in the US may have tuned in to last week?s ?Go Further? event in Germany, presenting the all-new Ford Fiesta subcompact, for little reason; apparently, the pint-sized car may not even land here.
This is according to Carscoops, which spoke to ?a source with knowledge of the matter? on the sidelines of the Ford Fiesta?s big reveal. The source indicated that Ford doesn?t feel US-market demand for the new subcompact will be sufficient to justify the expense of launching it.
Carscoops reached out to Ford UK for comment, being told only that ?the next-generation Fiesta is introduced for Europe and Middle East and Africa. We?ll have more to say about other markets at a later date.? The statement neither confirms nor denies the notion that the next-generation Ford Fiesta will not make its way to the United States.
The US-market Ford Fiesta is currently built at Ford?s Cuautitl?n Stamping and Assembly Plant in Mexico. US sales through November of this year are down some 26 percent compared to the same period last year, and stand at just 45,035 units ? less than half the sales of the Ford Mustang through November, and less than a third of the Focus compact?s volume.
This stands in stark contrast to the United Kingdom, where the Ford Fiesta is the best-selling car of all-time with about 18-million units over the past 40 years.

Read more: http://fordauthority.com/2016/12/th...even-arrive-in-the-us-for-2018/#ixzz4ZM4dQJY8

I do not think any thing has changed since this came out.......and I read where Ford stated last year 8% of Fiesta sales were ST's. So less than 5000 were sold in the US last year. With sales projections showing even less next year, I think if Ford offers the Fiesta at all it will be without the ST. How do they justify the costs to certify and test for that few cars. As the article states the Fiesta is a best seller in the rest of the world. I think the USA still is stuck in the cheap gas and bigger is better mentality. SUV's and Pick-up's are king. I am sure one of either makes Ford more money that 5 ST's! Just look at the prices we are getting from the dealers! No option cars can be had for less than 20K without trying too hard.

Brura22

http://fordauthority.com/2016/12/the-new-ford-fiesta-may-not-even-arrive-in-the-us-for-2018/

"We here in the US may have tuned in to last week?s ?Go Further? event in Germany, presenting the all-new Ford Fiesta subcompact, for little reason; apparently, the pint-sized car may not even land here.
This is according to Carscoops, which spoke to ?a source with knowledge of the matter? on the sidelines of the Ford Fiesta?s big reveal. The source indicated that Ford doesn?t feel US-market demand for the new subcompact will be sufficient to justify the expense of launching it.
Carscoops reached out to Ford UK for comment, being told only that ?the next-generation Fiesta is introduced for Europe and Middle East and Africa. We?ll have more to say about other markets at a later date.? The statement neither confirms nor denies the notion that the next-generation Ford Fiesta will not make its way to the United States.
The US-market Ford Fiesta is currently built at Ford?s Cuautitl?n Stamping and Assembly Plant in Mexico. US sales through November of this year are down some 26 percent compared to the same period last year, and stand at just 45,035 units ? less than half the sales of the Ford Mustang through November, and less than a third of the Focus compact?s volume.
This stands in stark contrast to the United Kingdom, where the Ford Fiesta is the best-selling car of all-time with about 18-million units over the past 40 years.

Read more: http://fordauthority.com/2016/12/th...even-arrive-in-the-us-for-2018/#ixzz4ZM4dQJY8

I do not think any thing has changed since this came out.......and I read where Ford stated last year 8% of Fiesta sales were ST's. So less than 5000 were sold in the US last year. With sales projections showing even less next year, I think if Ford offers the Fiesta at all it will be without the ST. How do they justify the costs to certify and test for that few cars. As the article states the Fiesta is a best seller in the rest of the world. I think the USA still is stuck in the cheap gas and bigger is better mentality. SUV's and Pick-up's are king. I am sure one of either makes Ford more money that 5 ST's! Just look at the prices we are getting from the dealers! No option cars can be had for less than 20K without trying too hard.
Okay yeah it's over.
Done.
Nixed.
Killed.
Yay I have the last year Molten Orange FiST.
WHY ISNT MY RESALE VALUE SKYROCKETING. ITS A COLLECTORS ITEM NOW RIGHT!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It makes one wonder just how much more it would cost Ford to build a TRUE 'world car' out of the Fiesta/FiST which would meet the certifications of ALL of the countries/markets in the world they sell to, with ONE version of each model Fiesta. [???:)]

Or does our government/NHSTA/DOT/EPA charge each manufacturer exorbitant amounts of money to have every little model variation tested, and certified for sale here, that it would be incomprehensible, profit motive-wise for Ford to even offer U.S./North America the Euro models as an import? [dunno]

Last edited:

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Yeah I gotta bad feeling we're not getting it.:(. Time to start thinking of other cars for when my st is worn out........

Brura22

It makes one wonder just how much more it would cost Ford to build a TRUE 'world car' out of the Fiesta/FiST which would meet the certifications of ALL of the counties/markets in the world they sell to, with ONE version of each model Fiesta. [???:)]

Or does our government/NHSTA/DOT/EPA charge each manufacturer exorbitant amounts of money to have every little model variation tested, and certified for sale here, that it would be incomprehensible, profit motive-wise for Ford to even offer U.S./North America the Euro models as an import? [dunno]
That's not possible. There's a reason the EU and US FiST are so different. You're exactly right, EU emission/safety standards are entirely different than the US. In good ways and bad ways.
Won't happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It makes one wonder just how much more it would cost Ford to build a TRUE 'world car' out of the Fiesta/FiST which would meet the certifications of ALL of the counties/markets in the world they sell to, with ONE version of each model Fiesta. [???:)]

From what I understand NHTSA requires homologation testing only on the high-volume configuration. The other configurations are assumed to perform equally similar based on engineering judgement, allowing a lot of time and money to be saved in the process of not testing each and every model variation. This is to sell the car in the US. Then there's the IIHS which exists for a slightly different purpose and that is to report their findings to insurance bureaus and educate the public about passenger vehicle safety. They also have really cool high-speed videos and post crash debriefs which are fun to watch.

This explains the 2015 F-150 IIHS small overlap fiasco where the supercrew (~80% of sales) performed just fine because of the added structural bracing in its wheel wells (to account for the added weight of the larger second row, they would have us believe), whereas the supercab didn't and ended up performing worse. This turned out to be a PR, not a legal, concern for Ford that ultimately drove the bracing into all versions of the pickup truck as in the case today.

So if I were to guess its not so much the engineering cost of certifying a vehicle rather than the cost to have a vehicle certified for its sale in the US market. Add the unique safety/DOT/EPA etc requirements of the Euro and China markets and its hard to find a single cost effective point/configuration for truly global car. Whats interesting to me, is that even though the Mustang is a 'global car' the LHD Euro version cant be sold in the states. Nor can the LHD China mustang be sold in the US or Europe, due to subtle differences in the regulatory legislature of each respective market.

Overall leading me to believe we don't yet have a fully globalized economy nor the freedom to design a truly global car. Not sure if there's any correlation between the two, but maybe?