Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is there a chance the US won't get the next Fiesta?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Just read this about the 2018 ST

"While the current ST uses a turbocharged 1.6-litre engine, it is likely the new model will adopt the 1.5-litre Ecoboost three-cylinder unit announced in the Fiesta. Existing power of 197bhp and a 0-62mph time of 6.9sec is also expected to improve. Fuel economy will also drop from the 148g/km CO2 of its predecessor."

To my knowledge this engine has never been certified in the US. If that is true I can't see any way Ford will spend the money for EPA certification on an engine for less than 5000 $22K cars. I believe in a few years with a US plant we may see an ST then.

I strongly think our cars will become a cult car in the US. Cheap, reliable, fast and fun. Early BMW Turbo, 911S's, 240z's, GNX's, SD455's, 3000GT's....all at one time were actually CHEAP! And there are many more. If I was rich I would put an new Orange on blocks for 20-30 years! And start buying good used ones to stockpile. Imagine if you had bought just one of each car I listed when they were 5 years old and cheap. How much would a cherry all original of any of the above sell for?
I think well maintained used ST's will hold a good value if 2018 is last call.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-ford-fiesta-st-be-revealed-friday

FML.... Must.. Resist... Trading in... fuuuuuck.
You probably won't need to if it isn't available for NA.

OH DANG! Doesn't sound like the current engine. Sounds more buzzy. Also no more 3 door it looks like. And it is of course still 4 bolt because UK. Friday can't come soon enough.[hihi]

Brura22

"While the current ST uses a turbocharged 1.6-litre engine, it is likely the new model will adopt the 1.5-litre Ecoboost three-cylinder unit announced in the Fiesta. Existing power of 197bhp and a 0-62mph time of 6.9sec is also expected to improve. Fuel economy will also drop from the 148g/km CO2 of its predecessor."

To my knowledge this engine has never been certified in the US. If that is true I can't see any way Ford will spend the money for EPA certification on an engine for less than 5000 $22K cars. I believe in a few years with a US plant we may see an ST then.

I strongly think our cars will become a cult car in the US. Cheap, reliable, fast and fun. Early BMW Turbo, 911S's, 240z's, GNX's, SD455's, 3000GT's....all at one time were actually CHEAP! And there are many more. If I was rich I would put an new Orange on blocks for 20-30 years! And start buying good used ones to stockpile. Imagine if you had bought just one of each car I listed when they were 5 years old and cheap. How much would a cherry all original of any of the above sell for?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-ford-fiesta-st-be-revealed-friday
It won't hold its value at all until it hits rock bottom. Only then will it start to climb.
If it gets discontinued it'll TANK in value at first. And hold low for years.
Then it'll climb, maybe 10-15 years from now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
As to a world car...lost cause. You can't even get the US onboard with headlight regulations! Crash testing is different as are the EPA certifications.

It will definitely has already amassed a cult. The issue is how long can it be maintained so it doesn't slope off into irrelevancy. The Fiesta itself, is a car that doesn't really get people partying in the US. The Fiesta ST even more so is a car that is on the fringes of mainstream car culture. The only people that know what it is are people who would be interested in these sort of cars in the first place, they've been exposed to slow car fast, trackdays, rallycross. Just this morning I was at Napa giving my car info and the kid behind the counter was like "The ST, really? NO way?" Its these people that will keep the "cult" going, they are just far in between. So worst case 20 years from now I'm stockpiling FiSTs, and you're stockpiling them, everybody who driven them is stockpiling them, and since everyone who wanted one already brought one we'll have no one to sell to, and there will just be a market of overpriced 50,000mi 20 year old economy hatchbacks that probably don't comply with the current tech, trends and safety. I guess that's not too bad we can just trade them around like Hotwheels then.

It will definitely has already amassed a cult. The issue is how long can it be maintained so it doesn't slope off into irrelevancy. The Fiesta itself, is a car that doesn't really get people partying in the US. The Fiesta ST even more so is a car that is on the fringes of mainstream car culture. The only people that know what it is are people who would be interested in these sort of cars in the first place, they've been exposed to slow car fast, trackdays, rallycross. Just this morning I was at Napa giving my car info and the kid behind the counter was like "The ST, really? NO way?" Its these people that will keep the "cult" going, they are just far in between. So worst case 20 years from now I'm stockpiling FiSTs, and you're stockpiling them, everybody who driven them is stockpiling them, and since everyone who wanted one already brought one we'll have no one to sell to, and there will just be a market of overpriced 50,000mi 20 year old economy hatchbacks that probably don't comply with the current tech, trends and safety. I guess that's not too bad we can just trade them around like Hotwheels then.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Just did some searching.......The 1.5 will use the 1L 3 cylinder block, according to a article it is designed for a max 500cc per cylinder and is said to be over 200 HP......but will there be a US version? The 1.5L is a tax break in China as I understand it. Other countries have 1L and 1.2L requirements. So the 1L engine block can be used for all markets and is smaller and lighter than the 1.6L four we have. I hope Ford will get it certified for the US market but I am afraid they will not. Of course they would have the option on keeping our 1.6L engine.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-could-increase-ecoboost-three-cylinder-to-15l-200hp.html

OP
MrFord619
Thread Starter #52
If I was rich I would put an new Orange on blocks for 20-30 years! And start buying good used ones to stockpile. Imagine if you had bought just one of each car I listed when they were 5 years old and cheap. How much would a cherry all original of any of the above sell for?

I personally think 99% of cars are horrible investments. Cars are meant to be driven and won't age well sitting on blocks. However if you're a glutton for punishment, do some research and buy a modern classic. A great example would be a clean Toyota MR-2 since they have already hit rock bottom and are starting to climb now. It's a unique mid engine car from a time when Toyota actually made a fun and affordable cars and trucks, it's guaranteed to appreciate. You could buy 3 clean examples for the price of 1 new Fiesta ST and you would see a return on investment with a much higher profit much faster than you ever would from a Fiesta ST. They would also be easier to keep on the road.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
A Mister 2 was my dream car after driving one.....what left the biggest impression to me was the Anti-lock brakes and lightweight car was awesome, I would run it to 80 and stand on the brakes......I took one back to the dealer and it was smoking from the wheels! There are many fun cars out there now, one of the second gen turbo models is sitting in a driveway 2 blocks from here that is black and well maintained as to body and interior, turned down $16K last summer......BUT the engine has 180K and burns oil. You would have $25k in it quickly.......and our ST's will probably outperform it for less money and a warranty! But the third gen in yellow was my dream machine......until I met the FiST!

I learned to drive in a White 1959 Fiat 600D, 37 HP and a 4 speed. No radio even. So learning to shift AND downshift was of prime importance in maintaining what speed you could get. Top speed was an indicated 55 MPH. I started driving at 12 years old, I could get 4 gears and stop in our 50 ft driveway before hitting the garage. My last car will be this White ST with 180HP more, no suicide door and brakes that you can actually stop with! Even after 53 years I love a small white (invisible) car! Funny thing is on the Tail of the Dragon I still act and feel 12 years old. I love my FiFi!

Brura22

A Mister 2 was my dream car after driving one.....what left the biggest impression to me was the Anti-lock brakes and lightweight car was awesome, I would run it to 80 and stand on the brakes......I took one back to the dealer and it was smoking from the wheels! There are many fun cars out there now, one of the second gen turbo models is sitting in a driveway 2 blocks from here that is black and well maintained as to body and interior, turned down $16K last summer......BUT the engine has 180K and burns oil. You would have $25k in it quickly.......and our ST's will probably outperform it for less money and a warranty! But the third gen in yellow was my dream machine......until I met the FiST!

I learned to drive in a White 1959 Fiat 600D, 37 HP and a 4 speed. No radio even. So learning to shift AND downshift was of prime importance in maintaining what speed you could get. Top speed was an indicated 55 MPH. I started driving at 12 years old, I could get 4 gears and stop in our 50 ft driveway before hitting the garage. My last car will be this White ST with 180HP more, no suicide door and brakes that you can actually stop with! Even after 53 years I love a small white (invisible) car! Funny thing is on the Tail of the Dragon I still act and feel 12 years old. I love my FiFi!
I'm surprised that entire book didn't include "back in my day"

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I am very confident the US won't see a new Fiesta for the next few years. There are a number of reasons, one is the low demand for small cars and low fuel prices. The other is political. With the current political climate, announcing a new model built in Mexico would receive the wrath of a 3am tweet and a threat of a tariff. If I was the Fiesta manager, I would wait a few years until this political climate changes or tones down before doing anything with a new product from Mexico. A tariff would make the Fiesta uncompetitive in the market place. The best thing is to use the current car for a few more years. Ford has done this in the past with the Focus, but I don't expect us to miss out on the entire generation of the car. I also don't see the Fiesta going away in the US.

This is really interesting, so what you are suggesting BRGT350 is that Ford may opt to continue to build the sixth generation Fiesta at the current plant in Cuautitl?n for sale in the NA market, over the next couple years? Kind-of like how the original beetle was built and sold in Mexico until very recently (2003)?

I know this is all speculative anyway, but I wouldn't have thought this to be an option. Any further insight as to why Ford would consider doing this?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
This is really interesting, so what you are suggesting BRGT350 is that Ford may opt to continue to build the sixth generation Fiesta at the current plant in Cuautitl?n for sale in the NA market, over the next couple years? Kind-of like how the original beetle was built and sold in Mexico until very recently (2003)?

I know this is all speculative anyway, but I wouldn't have thought this to be an option. Any further insight as to why Ford would consider doing this?
yes, this is what I am thinking. The reason is the same as it was for the Focus MkII in Europe and continuing to keep the MK1 in the US. There isn't enough demand for a premium compact car when the market is going to CUV's and back to trucks. To launch the next gen Fiesta in the US, Ford would need to invest money into the plant and in advertising. That could be used for CUV's like the EcoSport instead, at least on the advertising side (plant isn't the same). There is also the political backlash of announcing a new product made in Mexico, and that is something nobody wants. With demand low, an established product already running, and while it is low on the political radar, I would keep the current Fiesta going in the short term. Remember back in 2011 when the US Fiesta launched, Europe already had that model since 2008. Only the 2014 refresh was timed the same (or close) in both Europe and the US. If the market was still warm for compact cars and there wasn't the threat of changing NAFTA and adding tariffs, then I think we would see the car sooner. The fact that we had the LA, Detroit, and Chicago auto shows without a single mention of the new Fiesta is a good indicator we won't be seeing one anytime soon. I also learned that the EcoSport isn't made where the Fiesta is made, so it doesn't need to use the same chassis. I tried to ask about the EcoSport at a media event to see if it was built on the B299 current Fiesta chassis or a new one, but couldn't get a good answer. As I asked more and more about the EcoSport/Fiesta relationship, the answers became more vague until the person could leave the conversation. Now, the EcoSport on display wasn't a North American model and they may have been reluctant to answer any specifics.

I don't see the Fiesta going away as it is a nice car for CAFE.

For full disclosure, these are just my thoughts based upon observations and I don't have any information or even rumors to support them. In my current role of product management/planning, I spend a good deal of time trying to figure out the future. While I am not in automotive, the observations seen in other markets can be applied to automotive.

Doesn't seem like we are. America is infatuated with large silhouettes.
Okay.
I'll just go track day. Memorial day bro!
I'm putting on race pads.

What do you like to run?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
.................... I don't see the Fiesta going away as it is a nice car for CAFE. .................
Their decision may have well been based on inside knowledge of pending changes to those regulations. This may be bad news, particularly since leading and innovation is key to successfully competing on a global scale. We're not going to 'out cheap-labor' them. (which could change rapidly with another repeat of 2005-2009) Domestic manufacturers would probably have delayed or not even adopted wide use of turbine technology in their engines, without these regulations. What would the FiST be without EcoBoost? Russia chose well.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/11/trump-automakers-meeting-cafe-nafta/
<< Ten American and foreign automakers went to the White House on Friday to push for a weakening of U.S. fuel efficiency standards through 2025, ........................................................ A draft proposal circulated by the U.S. Transportation Department would freeze fuel efficiency requirements at 2020 levels through 2026, rather than allowing them to increase as previously planned. Trump's administration is expected to formally unveil the proposal later this month or in June. ...............................>>

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/387272-trump-says-he-still-has-confidence-in-pruitt
<<............................ Rump told reporters the meeting would be both about corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) standards .............. EPA and DOT are working to ease fuel economy rules going forward, and a leaked proposal would freeze standards in 2020 for six years. ..................>>

While California has decided to spearhead the battle to maintain progress (https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/07/automakers-trump-cafe-standards-fuel-economy/) automakers in the end, aren't going to spend money that they don't have to. (outside of CEO perks and bonuses I mean)

<< ......... California and 16 other states covering about 40 percent of the U.S. population filed suit last week to block the Trump administration's efforts to weaken the fuel efficiency requirements. ......................>>

I'm not a betting man, but in battle of Fed vs States, the Feds typically, eventually wins. (especially with congressional support) Their only hope is to adopt the (successful) tactic of their opponent; block, stall, and sabotage until power changes hands.