Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Possible torsion beam modification

masonsturbos

While I had the car on a lift with some other likeminded friends, we should about the effects of boxing in the rear torsion beam.
We also talked about other chassis braces and I brought up that the rear "swaybar" bits are essentially a bar that adds some rigidity to the beam.
It would not be challenging to weld in some steel plate on the torsion beam and in theory, would do the same as a "swaybar" kit.
If anyone has done or has input, please let me know. I'm interested by the theory of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My only thought would be that the welding might change the existing characteristics of the torsion beam in an undesirable way.

While I had the car on a lift with some other likeminded friends, we should about the effects of boxing in the rear torsion beam.
We also talked about other chassis braces and I brought up that the rear "swaybar" bits are essentially a bar that adds some rigidity to the beam.
It would not be challenging to weld in some steel plate on the torsion beam and in theory, would do the same as a "swaybar" kit.
If anyone has done or has input, please let me know. I'm interested by the theory of this.

You are correct but in terms of getting the effect you want may be a bit challenging. I so pose a couple of tacks would not be an issue to grind off, but to fully box in the twist beam and find out you did too much would be my only hesitation. I'm finding it hard to find value in this when there are decent parts already made up for reasonable pricing like http://www.piercemotorsport.com/2014-2017-fiesta-st-rear-torsion-bar/.

OP
masonsturbos

masonsturbos

Thread Starter #4
Because for the price of 1/8-1/4 steel plate and a couple hours I can effectively do the same thing.
When I see the pierce torsion bar added with the eibach "rear sway" it is similar. The sway is designed to twist though.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
One would assume that Eibach and the likes used their suspension engineering prowess to determine the best thickness (ie stiffness) of the bar, as well as bend radius, connection points, etc. What you are proposing is welding steel plate onto an arbitrary location, of arbitrary thickness and hoping for the same or similar results. Your method would be a crapshoot and could make handling worse. Also, undoing it would likely damage the beam. Hell, welding the beam in the first place could damage it. Not worth it imo.

Engineered twist beam plates are designed as plates on purpose. The twist beam will no longer twist if boxed. Eiboch, Hotchkis, Pierce, etc. add stiffness, BUT still allow twist beam to twist.