Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Humming noise when turning

I've started to hear a humming/vibration come from the right/front side of my car but only happens when I'm backing out of my drive way or when I turn the wheel almost all the way right. Started doing it last week and seems to be a little louder. Side note, I have lowered on springs. Car only does it when moving at parking speeds, not under load or turning at regular or high speeds. Any input would help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zanethan

Does it only do it when you turn to the right? If it's both directions then it might be the power steering system struggling at full lock. Check you fluid and see if you're low.

OP
slowst
Thread Starter #3
Does it only do it when you turn to the right? If it's both directions then it might be the power steering system struggling at full lock. Check you fluid and see if you're low.
Yeah it only does it when turning right.

zanethan

Are the the coil overs on the right and left set to the same specs? If so then I'd start to suspect something in the steering rack maybe.

OP
slowst
Thread Starter #5
Are the the coil overs on the right and left set to the same specs? If so then I'd start to suspect something in the steering rack maybe.
They are just springs, that have been in for about 3 months now with no issues.

OP
slowst
Thread Starter #6
Update: So woke up this morning checked the fluid and the upper reservoir for the dot 4 fluid was almost dry so topped it off with some Prestone dot 4, has made the noise gradually less every time I try and force the noise... hopefully the low fluid was the problem

zanethan

If the noise is getting better it's the system bleeding itself. Check the level every few drives to makes sure it still has fluid. Hopefully, no major damage was done.

OP
slowst
Thread Starter #8
If the noise is getting better it's the system bleeding itself. Check the level every few drives to makes sure it still has fluid. Hopefully, no major damage was done.
Definitely, will do. Thanks!

Isnt the steering electric?

OP
slowst
Thread Starter #10
Definitely, will do. Thanks!