Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

First problem - major transmission fail

First time I've experienced roadside service, so on that note I'm happy with it. But on the unhappy side transmission completely failed while driving and just made horrible noises. At only 20,000 miles I'm surprised I experienced a 'walk home' issue. Won't know what it is til dealer opens, but now considering other vehicles. Am I just paranoid, or is this an oddball situation?

DvC

Mods? I know some big power guys have had to replace trans before.

zanethan

There are a few isolated cases of transmissions failing but all in all our cars seam to be well built mechanically. I'll be interested to hear what the dealer says was the cause of failure.

Hopefully your dealer is a competent one and does the repair right the first time. I wouldn't necessarily take this as a sign that the car isn't reliable but if it starts having issues after the repair then I would start questioning it a bit more. Especially, if the issues continue to be transmission related.

Mine started making noises around that many miles. It never failed catastrophically, but I did just get it replaced under warranty at around 29k miles. The new trans makes more noise than the old one did, so it's going to go right back in....At pickup, they said the differential bearings were worn out, as were the input /output shaft. I should note my car is also bone stock.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

caliboy15

dealer replaced my transmission a month ago. 4th gear made a supercharger sound!lmfao

it took them almost 2 months because the transmission is on nationwide backorder that's what they told me.

Yup, that's about the sound mine made, and is still making on the new trans.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Which fluid is everyone above using in their (both failed, and current replaced) gearboxes??

Not that it matters all that much for sound/noise, or even for longevity/reliability, but I am just curious.

Bone stock, in my case, so whatever Ford puts in from the factory.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I'm at 30000 and 4th is getting whinie. If there on back order must be a demand.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I get the high pitch noise going into 4th.....there are a couple other threads on here and one guy had the factory breakdown and what they found....i think with his it was chipped synchros and another item also a bearing I think was scored/galled. I'm contemplating having them drain the fluid through a cheese cloth and see if we can find anything with mine. I won't let them take it out unless the new trans is there and ready to go. The remanufactured trans may not have as many issues vs. New if they do some quality control.

OP
B
Thread Starter #12
Problem was the clutch went out due to wear and tear. According to the service manager, he asked me if I had driven a stick before, because it had signs of abuse. Wasn't happy about that. At 21,000 miles and only 8 autocross events, I somehow don't feel it was because of me. I've had 7 previous cars with manuals, total of over 380,000 miles combined, never an issue with clutchs, and still have a Solstice with 155,000 that was autocrossed, and that thing is like new. Like any rational human being I traded it in on a Mustang that hopefully can survive more than 20,000 miles.
Any thoughts if my driving style was the culprit or the parts on the car? (I also had the gradual whine starting to develop in the transmission prior to this)

It's not you. My clutch started failing at 6000 miles. I too have driven a stick for over a decade and my old Saturn Vue made it to 115k before it started slipping and I drove that harder than the FiST. They also claimed I drove it improperly. Fought it until they fixed it at 28k or so.

my clutch disc failed at 28k. the center hub tack welds gave way... I work for ford so I got to see what had happened. I would ask the service manager to see your clutch disc and flywheel. wear and tear on a disc at 21k sounds fishy.

zanethan

my clutch disc failed at 28k. the center hub tack welds gave way... I work for ford so I got to see what had happened. I would ask the service manager to see your clutch disc and flywheel. wear and tear on a disc at 21k sounds fishy.
I was just about to suggest asking to look at the clutch and flywheel. Sounds fishy to me as well.