Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Loud popping noise in rear and broken skirts

So FiST community, today I have a ruckus coming from the rear end. It seems that something has failed in the suspension. Whether turning left or right whilst going over drainage dips, a huge popping noise is happening. It's so loud it's frightening with no trunk board installed. Going up a driveway on entrance will also cause it, once again this is coming from the rear.

I also have two failed side skirts. Seems that the rear clips were either broken from the factory or not up to the task for a normal commute. The 3m tape that is installed adjacent to the clips from the factory is what has been keeping it on apparently!

Any thoughts on the rear suspension problems. I presume it has to do with failed shock mounts. I see no fluid draining from the shocks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Jack up the car, pull a wheel and look at it; if it's that bad it should be obvious.

Also check your exhaust system at the rear, while you're at it.

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
Exhaust is clear, no broken hangers. I can't see anything wrong around the shocks. But the noise is definitely coming from that area. I need to do more searching. Any suggestions on how to isolate the sound.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Exhaust is clear, no broken hangers. I can't see anything wrong around the shocks. But the noise is definitely coming from that area. I need to do more searching. Any suggestions on how to isolate the sound.

Did you check the spare area? if the screw holding the jack in place is loose it will rattle something fierce. Check the evap canistoer as well a hard knock with dislodge it.

This is happening to me. In my case, I found out it's the latch on the hatch. Open the hatch and drive over a speed bump and see if it still makes the noise. If not, you'll need to pull the plastic off and readjust the latch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
No spare tire in the trunk, took it out to fix a leak.

This is happening to me. In my case, I found out it's the latch on the hatch. Open the hatch and drive over a speed bump and see if it still makes the noise. If not, you'll need to pull the plastic off and readjust the latch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll have to look into that once it warms up a little bit outside. I've got what's probably the same crazy popping noise as Draxxus coming from my car as well, and there's definitely nothing visible wrong anywhere with the suspension, and my exhaust isn't hitting the car. I was originally thinking it was something shifting around in the spare tire well, but could never find any culprits. The hatch sounds like a promising lead.

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
Well I did what was suggested, as far as opening the rear hatch goes. A metal on metal bobbing noise began to spurt, when going over a speed bump three times in a row. It was very pronounced. You could clearly hear it in the mid section of the trunk! This brought attention to the shock mounts, exactly where the noise is coming from.

Interestingly enough...it's happening on both sides. Somehow this part either failed or was misassembled from the factory. I shall find out more soon.

OP
D
Thread Starter #10
Update**

Rear popping noise fixed. Left rear shock was blown, but no visible fluid anywhere. New OEM shock added back in. Good as new. Barely 10k on the odometer!

This is happening to me. Happened on the stock dampers and on the Koni/Eibach kit I pop on in the summer (don't want to plow the roads in the winter), so I don't think it's a blown shock. It only happens when turning hard or turning while hitting a bump. Ford said it was the exhaust, nothing to worry about, but you would think I would be able to make it pop or clunk or something by grabbing it and pushing it around. Nope. No screw holding down the spare and no hatch floor, so it's not that. I'll have to check out the latch or the evap.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Update**

Rear popping noise fixed. Left rear shock was blown, but no visible fluid anywhere. New OEM shock added back in. Good as new. Barely 10k on the odometer!

^^^THIS is going to 'inspire' me to get those rear Koni Sports even quicker than I was planning!