Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

VDO Metric Water Temperature Gauge - A Timeless Classic?

I am thinking about running a couple temp and pressure gauges for fluid temp monitoring ability. I like the look of the Plain Jane black face and red needle gauge, and after searching around stumbled upon the VDO Cockpit line of gauges, that are offered in both US and Metric units.

Since the Fiesta is very European, I thought I would keep it in theme and display the water temperature in Celsius.

The VDO 310-920 does just that and even has the water temperature symbol instead of WATER spelled out on the dial. How cool and retro is that!

The description says use it with a 250F / 120C - VDO Ohm Range Temperature Sender. OK. Looking around I found one in a 1/8"-27 NPT thread style connection so it would be super easy to install into the common oil cooler sandwich plate some of you guys are already using. Check!

When I think I couldn't be more happy with the setup, I go to read that this particular gauge requires a 24V connection. What?? Is that a typo? No bueno.

I'm too caught up with the idea of somehow making this work, and even though it would be super redundant and more expensive to do so, it should be theoretically possible to add in a 12 to 24v converter.

So what I would like to know is it worth the trouble. Has anyone on here used VDO gauges before? How did you like them and are they worth the price? Why have a 24V gauge in the first place when all passenger cars are wired for 12V?

Thanks!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Maybe a typo or maybe a voltage range. There are quite a few of these mechanical style gauges. So I'm sure you would find an alternative quickly. Dime a dozen on eBay.

OP
speed_easy
Thread Starter #3
Thanks CanadianGuy! I spent some time looking at different ones but can't get past the fact it wouldn't perfectly match the other two VDO gauges I have my eye on. I'd like to replicate the Aplr gauge diy another member posted here recently, on my car, and would like to go with a matching set for a nice clean look.

I think I answered my question about the 24V input as that is whats commonly used in marine applications. Would still like to understand what the deal is with VDO gauges and if anyone has used them before.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I've used them, they work great. I had oil temp, pressure and coolant temp in my evo viii

Sent from my iPhone

zanethan

Thanks CanadianGuy! I spent some time looking at different ones but can't get past the fact it wouldn't perfectly match the other two VDO gauges I have my eye on. I'd like to replicate the Aplr gauge diy another member posted here recently, on my car, and would like to go with a matching set for a nice clean look.

I think I answered my question about the 24V input as that is whats commonly used in marine applications. Would still like to understand what the deal is with VDO gauges and if anyone has used them before.
Hey that's my DIY! Let me know if you have any issues or questions making the pillar pod itself or any issues wiring the gauges/getting the sender units in. It's a tight fit but it will fit.

Also one thing I need to go back an edit is that the gauges will be held in with friction, so you might need to wrap the gauges with electrical tap to get them to fit snugly in the pods. I had to on my instal.