Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bluedrank

I hear good things about vibrant ultra quiet resonators.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I was doing some reading and discovered that the 2.25 inch vibrant ultra quiet resonator tapers down to something like 1.88 inches internally. So that would actually be adding restriction if you go with the stock pipe size. I'm not sure what the internals of the 2.5 inch resonator is, but I'm sure it necks down closer to 2.25.

Question for anyone who’s running a hybrid or larger turbo. I recently picked up a hybrid setup and have a depo catless DP. Wil I gain any power from an after market cat back or is it just for the sound? I know with the stock turbo there isint much to gain from a catback but the sound. Thanks
No. I've dynod before and after with only change being a cat-back added. I have an X37 and catless dp. No gain at all if you already have a open dp.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I was doing some reading and discovered that the 2.25 inch vibrant ultra quiet resonator tapers down to something like 1.88 inches internally. So that would actually be adding restriction if you go with the stock pipe size. I'm not sure what the internals of the 2.5 inch resonator is, but I'm sure it necks down closer to 2.25.
I didn't know that. If you can find that out look up a larger size. You can step up using couplers and clamps real easy.

Oh ok. I'll look in to some of those resonators. I'm also still open to muffler suggtions. I haven't really noticed a big difference since going straight piped in power or fuel economy, that said my car doesn't produce much in the way of horsepower anyway

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
If u lives closer I would offer to weld it up for you would not be pretty but it woukd not fall off or leak lol.

What is the lightest weight performance cat back available today? Too bad we couldnt get tomei to make us a Ti exhaust

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I wonder about straight piped with two different sized vibrant resonators, one in the stock front resonator spot and one in the rear.
Argh I wish I still had my mandrel bender and welding stuff :| stupid getting married, had to get rid of some of my coolest stuff.

I also had a few thoughts on emulating the Abarth sound - part of the character of the car was that it had a side-to-side burble, so a straight-pipe that went to a y, with one leg of the y going straight back and the other leg of the y curving back and forth would give it the side-to-side delay that made the Abarth sound so beefy at idle. If what I'm saying doesn't make sense I can draw out or mock something up.

LILIKE16ST

Until you're making 300 or better at the wheels the stock catback is probably fine I would say. If you're above 300 3 inch may be better suited. If I got up in the upper 200 range closer to 300 whp I would feel better with a 3 inch catback although it may not be a have to thing I would prefer everything flow as well as possible at that level.

The reason I ask is not because I am looking to add power, but rather to shed some weight. I know on the new 4cyl turbo camaro, a simple catback sheds 50 lbs! I wonder what gains there are to be had here with our chassis.

Ideally:
Same power
Same volume/tone
Less weight
No burning of the rear diffuser/valence

The reason I ask is not because I am looking to add power, but rather to shed some weight. I know on the new 4cyl turbo camaro, a simple catback sheds 50 lbs! I wonder what gains there are to be had here with our chassis.

Ideally:
Same power
Same volume/tone
Less weight
From what I understand, the mountune catback would give you what you want.

And yes, our stock catback is heavy!!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wish I still had my mandrel bender and welding stuff :| stupid getting married, had to get rid of some of my coolest stuff.
I'm guessing everything you had was for aluminized steel (being in Cali, and not necessarily needing 409/304 stainless), since the stainless capable MANDREL benders are HIGH 5 figure (at the very least) bits of machinery.

Last edited:

LILIKE16ST

Ideally:
Same power
Same volume/tone
Less weight
I did a muffler and resonator delete with a 4 inch stainless angle cut rolled tip added in for 111 bucks total cost. Stock muffler weighed 17 lbs stock resonator was 7 24 combined I figure after you add the small amount of piping in its probably about a 20 lbs loss between the two and it actually sounds pretty good and adds just as much power as any of the other catbacks which is 0 lol. Here is a clip of mine..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a89-xKBO8Zk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm guessing everything you had was for aluminized steel (being in Cali, and not necessarily needing 409/304 stainless), since the stainless capable MANDREL benders are HIGH 5 figure (at the very least) bits of machinery.
I don't remember - I got a bunch of bending stuff when a local exhaust business went tits up after the owner got arrested. I saw the liquidation sale and bought the entire lot for 1500 bucks. A really big (too big for home use really) tig welder and a ton of bending equipment that went up to 4". In all honesty I wasn't really using it, but I like to tell myself I would now (probably not hehe). When i finally sold everything I made 5k plus. Didn't realize aluminized and stainless were different benders. Regardless, wish I had kept the mandrel bender thingy. Now I have to buy prebent like a pleb :p

I did make exhaust for a couple motorcycles, that was handy (though the headers I made frequently wound up cracking, I didn't plan for thermal expansion).

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm just doodling while I am on a conference call, but I'd love to try something like this

Basically, when I had my abarth, the stock exhaust had dissimilar lengths (and as a result dissimilar pressure) between the two exhaust outlets. When I made a new rear section so that they were even, it lost a lot of it's rumble. It got louder, but it lost "texture". I'd like to try something like the above where we'd get unevenly timed exhaust pulses between the two tips to see if it made the ST more "abarth-y".

Absolutely not ideal for performance, but I'd be curious to see how it sounds. Could probably emulate it by taking a straight-piped car and fitting a length of pipe over one of the tips and seeing if it gives the growly sound I miss so much. If I can't have my Abarth sound back, I'm unlikely to bother with exhaust for the FiST.

timhet

I'm trying to decide between the Milltek 'race' exhaust and 'non-race' exhaust. Both are non-resonated. They are the same price. Apparently, the only difference is that the non race version has an extra small muffler.

I don't want anything that will draw too much attention from police etc. However, the whole reason for getting a catback is to improve the sound so I want something! Can anyone suggest which way I should go for normal street driving?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't know just how difficult, and/or costly it is to get parts from over here in/shipped to Oz (or IF this company has any distributorships there), but most seem to think that the Thermal R&D system fits exactly the bill you are requesting. ;)

timhet

I don't know just how difficult, and/or costly it is to get parts from over here in/shipped to Oz (or IF this company has any distributorships there), but most seem to think that the Thermal R&D system fits exactly the bill you are requesting. ;)
I'll look into it. However, in Australia, we have the slightly different 3-door, UK version of the car. Apparently, the exhaust dimensions are different and not compatible.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'll look into it. However, in Australia, we have the slightly different 3-door, UK version of the car. Apparently, the exhaust dimensions are different and not compatible.
Yes, sorry, I forgot all about the exhaust length differences (while STILL wishing that we got the 3 door version HERE as well!). [:(]

Anyone have some advice on a quality single tip exhaust? Im looking to get the depth of a Tsudo but with the turbo whistle and general raspinesss of an MBRP. Any tips on some tips? Ha.