Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So what is the main difference in catted vs catless DP? (Besides legality in some states) Was going to go with the Whoosh Catless...
One has a Catalytic Converter built into it and the other is just an open pipe. Info on what a catalytic converter does:
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/question66.htm

We don't have emissions here in VA Beach area, but we do have a visual inspection and you can fail here if you don't have a Cat or even remotely attempt to make it appear like you have a Cat.

In regards to some other small effects, Catless will flow better but will have a much heavier exhaust smell. It may also be a bit louder depending on what catback exhaust setup you plan on running.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Twice a year? You mean every 2 years right?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Our inspections are EVERY SINGLE YEAR here in the Keystone State (even on a ONE YEAR OLD from factory NEW car!!), and we ourselves FULLY pay for the draconian privatized inspection AND registration fees EVERY YEAR. [mad]

The 'twice' thing is swapping out the illegal pipe for the legal one for the inspection, and then swapping back in the illegal one. ;)

The state also mandates that the car MUST BE lifted up and inspected for all emissions equipment, and that at least two diagonally opposing wheels be removed and pads/axle seals be inspected, regardless of miles on the car.
Then the car must be test driven by one of the 'techs', and it is up to the shop's policies/discretion (and liability insurance I am guessing) as to whether or not the customer can ride along for this 'test drive'. [rant]

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I am learning alot about other states emissions tests and policies.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I am learning alot about other states emissions tests and policies.

and you thought we had it bad here in Cali, lol. At least we have fiver years of no inspection needed for new cars. Also while we do have inspection every 2 years it's not on a lift scrutinizing if we have everything in place. Our techs look over from the engine compartment and if it looks fit and the computer does not Flag out or cell trigger we are good to go. At least with all the newer late model cars.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
and you thought we had it bad here in Cali, lol. At least we have fiver years of no inspection needed for new cars. Also while we do have inspection every 2 years it's not on a lift scrutinizing if we have everything in place. Our techs look over from the engine compartment and if it looks fit and the computer does not Flag out or cell trigger we are good to go. At least with all the newer late model cars.
The only thing more draconian about your system is the whole Gestapo-like 'referee' review thing, where once they flag you (and they are OUT ON THE ROADS LOOKING FOR YOU there), they can go over the car with a microscope, which we do not have.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The only thing more draconian about your system is the whole Gestapo-like 'referee' review thing, where once they flag you (and they are OUT ON THE ROADS LOOKING FOR YOU there), they can go over the car with a microscope, which we do not have.
Oh ya but the thing about that is it's very few and far between . I have lived both in the Bay Area and in SocCal for years and driven modded cars a good part of that time. I have received one modified exhaust ticket requiring the referee. I have never been pulled over at a random smog checkpoint nor been pulled over and had a hood popped due to modification suspicion. I average over 20k a year in driving as well.
Fact is if your smart about it you won't run into the issue.

Not putting down Koozy, but he got hood popped because they heard his blowoff valve on Mullholland by the Rockstore!
Newsflash that's a well known PoPo area and most people know to be cautious around there.
It's like doing over 80 on the 5 by Coalinga in the Central Valley. It's a known CHP hotspot becuase there is a CHP station there.
Or down the 101 between Salinas and Santa Barbara another known CHP hotspot. If you drive fast or obnoxious or obvious in these areas you will get pulled over, ticketed or more depending.
One does not go to the San Gabriel Valley I.e. Walnut, Haicienda Heights, La Puente, etc... And race around as again it's known for being hood pop central. Due to it being ground zero for the import scene.
Nor does one go to GlenOaks Blvd in Sun Valley and race up down( famous import drag place from back in the late 90's) . There are a few other places I could list. Ya I know most of them. It's why I don't run into these issues.

One has a Catalytic Converter built into it and the other is just an open pipe. Info on what a catalytic converter does:
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/question66.htm

We don't have emissions here in VA Beach area, but we do have a visual inspection and you can fail here if you don't have a Cat or even remotely attempt to make it appear like you have a Cat.

In regards to some other small effects, Catless will flow better but will have a much heavier exhaust smell. It may also be a bit louder depending on what catback exhaust setup you plan on running.
lol no yeah I knew one has a cat and one doesn't I was more asking along the lines of is there a difference in performance or anything other than aesthetics basically.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Most people say catless you would get about 5 hp on a hybrid or other turbo upgrade over a catted downpipe. Stock turbo nothing to gain really but sound difference.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^SOME on here might claim (or maybe even have PROOF of [dunno]) BIG power gains from the catcon-less pipe.
But my guess is maybe a 5 WHP PEAK average between pulls at most, given the same exact dyno, and density altitude conditions for both tests.

NOT worth it to me (for the stench, OR the inspection hassles), even if I were going for 'max powah' with a big turbo kit and all of the other power boosting ancillaries, I would STILL go for a 200 cell metal matrix catted aftermarket down pipe. ;)

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I found the exhaust I really like.... But I cannot find one for '17 sadly... Know of anything similar?

MRT Performance Exhaust
https://www.shopmrt.com/2013-2016-Fiesta-ST-Rally-Sport-Cat-Back-Exhaust-p/92w000.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvo7CI1TWD0

What is a good upgraded catted DP?
I believe the mrt fits 14 thru 17 fist's. Whoosh is coming out with a catted full 3 inch downpipe. Worth waiting for. I may swap mine out for a catted one later.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I found the exhaust I really like.... But I cannot find one for '17 sadly... Know of anything similar?

MRT Performance Exhaust
https://www.shopmrt.com/2013-2016-Fiesta-ST-Rally-Sport-Cat-Back-Exhaust-p/92w000.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvo7CI1TWD0
I know that site is always WAAAY over-priced, but that is STILL a BIG chunk of change for a 2.5" system with no resonator, or muffler at all, regardless of how high quality it may be.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Overpriced straight pipe. But people buy it. To each their own right?

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I'm getting a catted DP just because I feel the catless would ruin the tone and overall sound of the exhaust, or it may not. Once I get that I'll have a full 3" system and intercooler so I'll be "Stage 3" and getting decent gains for very small mods.

I know that site is always WAAAY over-priced, but that is STILL a BIG chunk of change for a 2.5" system with no resonator, or muffler at all, regardless of how high quality it may be.
It is made from the metal scraped off of wolverines bones, hand polished using baby seal skin and wiped off with the tears of a virgin.