Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hey man, did anyone answer this question? I don't care about the sound as much as the performance and everything I read points to the the hp coming from the down pipe. Whoosh has a 170 dollar catless dp....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
There are a lot of variables. Stock tune/turbo, no, it's not going to change your life. On a stock tune most mods won't do much, you'll need a tune to realize much performance gain. With a stock tune the best you can do is add consistency, like a GFB DV+, intercooler, etc.

I don't know about fiesta's, but on my Abarth the single biggest "quality of life" upgrade was installing the alfa romeo 4c stock coils. That coupled with a GFB DV+ made the car feel *much* more consistent, and with just those I used to run door to door with a local Fiesta ST with loud exhaust and an intake.

I have a pile of parts to install, and am accumulating more, but until after my next hand surgery+recovery I don't have the hand strength to install anything. I spend 4 hours trying to install my symposer delete and I simply can't squeeze pliers hard enough to release the clip lol. I can't open jars or separate chopsticks anymore either... but once I'm healed up I'm doing symposer delete, rmm, GFB DV+ and probably welding up an exhaust (vibrant UQ -> Vibrant muffler). My goal isn't outright performance, the ST is my daily, I want a daily + fun, without really risking my warranty. If I can eventually get back on a motorcycle then I won't need the ST as a super reliable daily, at that point I might go more extreme (tune, turbo, etc.).

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You will see gains lower in the rpm like 3500 and down and supposedly a slight loss up top which doesn't make alot of sense because this car has a ton of power below 3500 and falls off up top so that mod on a stock turbo isn't that great performance wise. You might see peak to peak gains on a dyno mostly on the torque side low but like I said real world performance probably would not change much and might even be for the worse albeit slight.

*edit*
I am talking about with a stock turbo....with big turbo or hybrid a dp is probably a good idea I was referring to doing the mod with a stock turbo. This is why I won't be changing the dp until I upgrade the turbo it makes the most sense install wise and performance wise imo..

AGREED!! [thumb]

I am guessing that most on here came from sport compact/import nameplate platforms where the aftermarket down pipes actually DID show some measurable gains on factory turbos (or even on NA apps?), hence, their rush/compulsion to do so on our platform. [dunno]

That, or they buy into the whole 'stage' BS thing. [???:)]

Dp is the only part needed for stage 3 but you're better off just getting a custom tune with your intercooler or even a stratified or dizzy flash tune with that mod in mind any of those are much better than stage 3 ots. I was on cobb stage 2 for like a week or so then went to stratified flash on 93 then to e30....the strat tune was far better in every way even when I was running the 93 one vs 93 ots stage 2. The Cobb ots maps just don't compare. You'll get more power and better drivability out of a custom "stage 2" tune vs even a stage 3 ots cobb tune. Just my .02
Word, thanks! I've read good things about the dizzy flash tune on here. To upload that to my car I would still need the access port right (Cobb)? This is the first car I've gotten into tuning so I want to make sure I'm doing it right!

All you really need is a downpipe. The stock system actually flows very well. But if you like the sound or plan to go with a bigger turbo then it wouldn't be a bad idea. But the downpipe is a must for stage 3.
Thanks man, that's what I've been reading but wanted to double check. I won't be changing my turbo so I think I'll just install the whoosh dp and tune the car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Word, thanks! I've read good things about the dizzy flash tune on here. To upload that to my car I would still need the access port right (Cobb)? This is the first car I've gotten into tuning so I want to make sure I'm doing it right!

CORRECT.

Unless you drive out to his shop on the east end of L.I. and have him tune/write directly into the ECM (on their dyno or not), which he would only be able to do with HP Tuners or such, IF he has/uses those systems at all.
Then, IF it is done that way, you could NOT swap out the Dizzy Tune for your factory tune (or any others for that matter) without a hand held AP, unless you also had the said HP Tuners firmware on your lap top.

In other words, the AP is WELL WORTH IT if you are going to tune the car at all (and still a little less than the lap top based tuning systems in price anyway). ;)

CORRECT.

Unless you drive out to his shop on the east end of L.I. and have him tune/write directly into the ECM (on their dyno or not), which he would only be able to do with HP Tuners or such, IF he has/uses those systems at all.
Then, IF it is done that way, you could NOT swap out the Dizzy Tune for your factory tune (or any others for that matter) without a hand held AP, unless you also had the said HP Tuners firmware on your lap top.

In other words, the AP is WELL WORTH IT if you are going to tune the car at all (and still a little less than the lap top based tuning systems in price anyway). ;)
In addition to the above, if you use an AP it will store your OEM tune when you first install it, and it will restore your OEM tune if you ever uninstall the AP.

XanRules

I'll probably take the car somewhere and get a custom exhaust made. Most of the exhausts I see/hear are either way too big and loud for my tastes and/or too expensive for something that isn't a power adder anyway. I think I saw folks having luck with some of the Magnaflow and Vibrant mufflers welded in, anybody want to make a recommendation?

CORRECT.

Sounds good! Thanks for the help guys. This forum is great!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'll probably take the car somewhere and get a custom exhaust made. Most of the exhausts I see/hear are either way too big and loud for my tastes and/or too expensive for something that isn't a power adder anyway. I think I saw folks having luck with some of the Magnaflow and Vibrant mufflers welded in, anybody want to make a recommendation?
If I were to ever have a custom made system, it would NOT use ANY of the factory system, since I want that to stay in FULL factory form in case I ever have to put the car TOTALLY back to stock, and I would want something made out of ALL 304 austenitic stainless steel anyway (which our factory systems are NOT). ;)

XanRules

If I were to ever have a custom made system, it would NOT use ANY of the factory system, since I want that to stay in FULL factory form in case I ever have to put the car TOTALLY back to stock, and I would want something made out of ALL 304 austenitic stainless steel anyway (which our factory systems are NOT). ;)
Yes, sorry, when I said "welded in" I meant like, welded in line with whatever pipe the exhaust shop is using, not welded into place on the stock exhaust. :)

LILIKE16ST

Yes you still need the accessport either way. To me it's worth the price just for the gauges alone. It's nice having 6 real time gauges coming straight from the data in the ecu to be able to monitor things...even simple things like coolant and oil temp which we can't monitor with factory gauges. The factory coolant temp gauge isn't very accurate...it will read normal or halfway when my accessport is just a little over 100 degrees and the car isn't proper warmed up until it's past 180 so that gives you somewhat of an idea why the gauges are so important. You can also monitor your boost as well as your octane adjust ratio (OAR) which will let you know if your tune is safe and the fuel you're using is up to par. It should be at -1.0 if both of those are optimal but you have to go WOT a few times after installing the tune for it to "learn" the tune and fuel before it will get to that number. The closer it gets to +1.0 means that either your tune is too aggressive or your fuel isn't good enough or both. Things like that are nice to know imo. The accessport is well worth the price.

Yes you still need the accessport either way. To me it's worth the price just for the gauges alone. It's nice having 6 real time gauges coming straight from the data in the ecu to be able to monitor things...even simple things like coolant and oil temp which we can't monitor with factory gauges. The factory coolant temp gauge isn't very accurate...it will read normal or halfway when my accessport is just a little over 100 degrees and the car isn't proper warmed up until it's past 180 so that gives you somewhat of an idea why the gauges are so important. You can also monitor your boost as well as your octane adjust ratio (OAR) which will let you know if your tune is safe and the fuel you're using is up to par. It should be at -1.0 if both of those are optimal but you have to go WOT a few times after installing the tune for it to "learn" the tune and fuel before it will get to that number. The closer it gets to +1.0 means that either your tune is too aggressive or your fuel isn't good enough or both. Things like that are nice to know imo. The accessport is well worth the price.
Good info, im going to be buying it tomorrow!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
vibrant ultra quiet resonator and a vibrant muffler (amazon) in the appropriate sizes should service nicely.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
vibrant ultra quiet resonator and a vibrant muffler (amazon) in the appropriate sizes should service nicely.
Vibrant even has titanium pipes, bends, hangers, flanges, weld wire, resonators and mufflers now (but YES $$$$!), so IF anyone has the proper equipment, or their shop does, a system can be welded together instead of waiting for Tomei to NEVER make the one they promised. LOL

LILIKE16ST

I was going to go with a vibrant resonator and Borla muffler on my svt focus I had previously to go along with the catless midpipe I had on it because I heard a video on YouTube setup this way and it was the best sounding svt I'd ever heard...never got around to setting it up that way before I sold the car and moved on to the st

Update on the Mountune CBE: After a year or so of running the exhaust, I've noticed a couple of things.

1) I had to switch out the rear-most hangar with a slightly longer one as the tips were cooking the bumper cut-out even with the Cobb hangar I originally had on it.

2) I'm guessing because of its design (helmholtz silencer design), the exhaust has gotten louder since I first installed. Drone and exhaust "boom" has increased, particularly in the rear of the car. Vibrations have increased as well, which I tried to address by greasing the mounting pots of each hangar. This helped mildly.

3) The exhaust is actually very quiet at cold-startup and progressively gets louder as it reaches OT (kind of a strange observation I made).

I've begun to consider having a resonator installed on the mid-pip (right after the DP) to help quiet things down. I don't want to give you the impression that it's insanely loud, but definitely louder than I was comfortable with when I first put it on. There were a few moments I even considered putting the stock system back on after a few long-distance drives that almost sent me over the edge. :p (I drive long-distance a lot now, so it's slowly chipping away at me.)

I guess I could also invest in some dynamat to line the rear cargo area with, but I've heard that would offer minimal results.

Still looks amazing, though, and I still get compliments on the sound being just right from the outside. I'm so conflicted.

2) I'm guessing because of its design (helmholtz silencer design), the exhaust has gotten louder since I first installed. Drone and exhaust "boom" has increased, particularly in the rear of the car.
This happens. I specifically went with a Bassani exhaust in my Magnum as it was one of the more quiet ones available. Had the car 9 years (exhaust for maybe 8), and it was WAY louder when I traded it for the FiST than when I first installed it. That noise attenuation material (fiberglass) compacts and blows out with the heat cycling.

This happens. I specifically went with a Bassani exhaust in my Magnum as it was one of the more quiet ones available. Had the car 9 years (exhaust for maybe 8), and it was WAY louder when I traded it for the FiST than when I first installed it. That noise attenuation material (fiberglass) compacts and blows out with the heat cycling.
Thank you for the info. Anyone have any experience with dynamat for decreasing boom and drone?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
3) The exhaust is actually very quiet at cold-startup and progressively gets louder as it reaches OT (kind of a strange observation I made).
I've noticed the exact opposite of this with my CP-E Nexus system, but it too has become a bit louder overall than when first installed about a year ago.
(Some of that noise can be attributed to me 'gutting' the whole hatch area behind the front seats, except for the spare/jack. ;) )

Thank you for the info. Anyone have any experience with dynamat for decreasing boom and drone?
I used Eastwood's product in my Magnum. It absolutely helped. But eventually the ever-growing-louder exhaust won out. You're also adding weight with this product, so consider that as the car's light weight is one of the factors that makes it so good. My fatass Magnum was too heavy to be concerned about a little extra weight in it's bottom.