Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Next Generation Fiesta ST Debut

What else is known about this 1.5l engine - is it DI only? Ford has gone with dual injection on the new version of the V8 for the 18 Mustang refresh, presumably to avoid all the valve sludging problems DI-only engines have been having. I hope they have done the same here, but I doubt it (for cost reasons).

I wonder what our odds are of getting the 3 door variant on this go-around - next to nil I would guess. Too bad, losing that 130 pounds of extra weight would be fantastic.

Ok. So the overboost numbers arent out yet. Seems strange that the new fiesta has the same exact numbers (without overboost) as the current fiesta.
Correct. Even the article BoostBumps posted (for some reason multi-quote doesn't like me right now) has since been amended to state 200hp instead of 215hp. So as it stands the new ST has the same non-boost output as the ST200.

zanethan

Eh. I like the wheels and the color that's about it.

It looks too mundane, I'm all for sleepers but there's really nothing on this that gets me excited. I realize that our current generation doesn't scream performance but there are subtle undertones that suggest this isn't a typical fiesta. Additionally, the front fascia looks dopey and bug eyed.

The interior overall is an improvement but I still maintain that the gauge cluster is terrible (it lacks depth and looks like something a 5 year old could engineer).

I hate the DRL "light circle" on the headlights it's too shouty. A simple line like what's in the FoST ST3's would have been better.

I don't hate the idea of a 3-cylinder high output turbo motor but I think it will be difficult to extract more power out of it for the aftermarket. (I might be wrong on this only time will tell). Additionally, the idea of odd numbered engines has never really caught on even though the idea has been around for quite awhile.

Overall, I'll hold my final judgement till I can see it in person and drive it (although that might not be a possibility). I'm sure it'll grow on me but for right now I'd give it a 4/10.

zanethan

I'm sure the new lightweight aluminum 1.5-litre three-cylinder turbo also has reduced overall curb weight...

Would be interesting to know if they also replaced the turbo with a more efficient one...
While the engine might be lighter the question is wether or not they've added weigh in other places to neutralize that savings. Based on the interior picks it looks like Ford is gunning for a more upscale look with that comes heavier materials and sound deadening materials.

I'm sure it'll have a more efficient twin scroll turbo.

Just trying to wrap my head around this, engines aren't my forte. So you're saying there will be a constantly held boost in order to hit the 197hp so that it always makes that number, and then an overboost that goes higher? My understanding was that in order to advertise the numbers in EU it couldn't be a temporarily held figure, had to be the normal output.
Boost: The added pressure above ambient added by the turbocharger. This is factored into ALL power numbers, across every market.
Overboost: A stupid name for a function that is really just a protection feature. Overboost means that when certain parameters are met, the ECU will request slightly higher boost.

Because the overboost function does not function all the time, it is not factored into EU power figures. Both figures are peak numbers that the engine makes, not sustained numbers. Only difference is that in the US, OEM's are allowed to state "overboost" numbers.

Maybe they have just done away with overboost altogether and just have the engine making max boost all the time unless this or that temp hits some threshold. In this case, the 197 figure could be the max output on the stock tune. We'll have to wait and see.

Also, 18-inch wheels as standard! [ohcrap] Even the 17s are a bit much for me on the crappy roads around here. On 18s I feel like I would be cracking wheels left and right.

Seeing as we're almost guaranteed to get the same powertrain, I certainly won't be upgrading to the newer model. 1.6L is almost too small to spool any real sized turbo and dropping a cylinder and .1L is going to make this even worse. I was hoping (dreaming) for a displacement bump, but got the opposite.

That said the interior looks to be a big improvement, and the exterior looks okay. A 3-cylinder 1.5L is the killer for me. Gone is the great tuning platform we have now. But so far this is speculation since we don't know if the US will get this powertrain.
My thoughts exactly!!

dunlop

I can't wait to sit on these seats. I REALLY hope they're better because I absolutely hate the Recaro in my '16...so bad that if I don't find something better I'm getting rid of a car that I absolutely love otherwise.

the new Recaros look very.. Americanized. I would not be a fan of Ford supersizing the seats.

Kind of in agreement with most here that the interior is a very nice step upmarket but that the exterior styling is bland. Reminds me of the latest Fusion refresh. Take a really well done, sharp-edge design and smooth it out like it melted in the sun.

Goodbye big bulging front fenders, hello bland fluid mass. Even the rear spoiler and fake rear diffuser got neutered.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Judging from the comments, very few on here have driven the 1.0L with a manual. It is a wonderful engine, makes a far better sound than the 1.6L EB, and is way better than the 1.6L NA motor in the regular Fiesta. I would be 100% happy with a 1.5L 3 cylinder.

I am still leaning towards the US market not getting this version of the Fiesta for a number of years. A 2019 release with 2020 production is my guess.

I completely agree with you on the 3 cylinder. I was actually pondering the idea of getting a 3 cylinder Mini Cooper if we don't get the next generation ST. I don't think these things will have any problem making adequate horsepower figures in the aftermarket. I honestly don't need to get 300hp out this thing to make it fun, it was already that way from the factory. Plus the sound will be so much more interesting. That said, I'm not fan of the sound being pumped in through the speakers this time.

Judging from the comments, very few on here have driven the 1.0L with a manual. It is a wonderful engine, makes a far better sound than the 1.6L EB, and is way better than the 1.6L NA motor in the regular Fiesta. I would be 100% happy with a 1.5L 3 cylinder.

I am still leaning towards the US market not getting this version of the Fiesta for a number of years. A 2019 release with 2020 production is my guess.
This. Considering it's launching in the EU market in early '18 I assumed we'd be getting it as much as a year later.

I'm also surprised by the number of people down on the 3 cylinder. While I wasn't keen on the thought of the 1.0 in our car, a 1.5 seems perfectly fine. Granted I don't have any real intention to do power mods on my fiesta, so the potential that the 1.5 won't be as modable doesn't bother me much. I'm pretty excited to hear the overboost numbers. Assuming it still has the overboost.

If you are keeping is stock, then the 3 cylinder will do. If you plan on making good power, the 3 cylinder will more than likely hit its limits much sooner than our present 1.6. Sounds are cool but I'm more concerned about the potential power it can handle. 1.0 is definitely more torque than the n/a 1.6, but is a turd compare to the 1.6 eb