Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Next Generation Fiesta ST Debut

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
If you are keeping is stock, then the 3 cylinder will do. If you plan on making good power, the 3 cylinder will more than likely hit its limits much sooner than our present 1.6. Sounds are cool but I'm more concerned about the potential power it can handle. 1.0 is definitely more torque than the n/a 1.6, but is a turd compare to the 1.6 eb
yeah, and the 1.6L NA is a turd compared to the 1.6L EB. Comparing the current 1.0L EB and 1.6L EB is not fair. They were never meant to compete against each other.

As for power, I would not be too worried. Everyone freaks out about the need to make big power, but end up with an intake, exhaust, maybe an intercooler, and a tune. Very few of us really turn our cars into big hp producing machines. The 1.5L will be fine with the modifications that 90% of us do to our cars. With active exhaust, I don't see a reason to change the exhaust. An intake, intercooler, and a tune covers things pretty well.

A lot of the fear I see reminds me of when cars went to fuel injection from carbs. OMG, we can never modify our engines again! Yeah, that wasn't the case. It is based in fear and not fact. There is no way any of us can predict the potential of the 1.5L EB. Judging by what the 1.0L can do, I am confident the 1.5L can do far more than we can armchair engineer.

It's interesting to note the people that are okay with the 1.5L generally haven't went very far into modding the engine, where as it looks like those against went a bit further in the engine modding department.

[MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION] I work for a PT engineering company. We've had a 1.0L in house for a while. It's a good motor for a generic commuter car, but it has absolutely no place in a performance/sporty car imo.

Maybe we will get it with the 1.5 Ecoboost 4 cyl from other fords in the US.... Hopefully.

Small hatch + 3 cyl = sales bust in the land of gas guzzling suvs

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
It's interesting to note the people that are okay with the 1.5L generally haven't went very far into modding the engine, where as it looks like those against went a bit further in the engine modding department.

[MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION] I work for a PT engineering company. We've had a 1.0L in house for a while. It's a good motor for a generic commuter car, but it has absolutely no place in a performance/sporty car imo.
I disagree, the 1.0L is used in the MSport R2 rally cars and in the Formula EcoBoost race car. Granted, the Formula car is a very lightweight platform. The use of the 1.0L in the R2 rally car suggests to me that the engine is capable of being used in a performance/sporty car. What the 1.0L is paired to makes a big difference. In a Fiesta with a manual, it is a great motor. Stick it with an automatic or anything heavier and it loses it's appeal quickly. I am sure if the 1.0L was paired with the ST manual in a Fiesta, it would be even better. The 1.5L should prove to be a great engine for the ST. I am not worried at all. Of course, we may never even get the car, so this all speculation.

yeah, and the 1.6L NA is a turd compared to the 1.6L EB. Comparing the current 1.0L EB and 1.6L EB is not fair. They were never meant to compete against each other.

As for power, I would not be too worried. Everyone freaks out about the need to make big power, but end up with an intake, exhaust, maybe an intercooler, and a tune. Very few of us really turn our cars into big hp producing machines. The 1.5L will be fine with the modifications that 90% of us do to our cars. With active exhaust, I don't see a reason to change the exhaust. An intake, intercooler, and a tune covers things pretty well.

A lot of the fear I see reminds me of when cars went to fuel injection from carbs. OMG, we can never modify our engines again! Yeah, that wasn't the case. It is based in fear and not fact. There is no way any of us can predict the potential of the 1.5L EB. Judging by what the 1.0L can do, I am confident the 1.5L can do far more than we can armchair engineer.
I'm not afraid, just skeptical. I want to be wrong, and hope that the new motor is better than what we currently have. Just gonna have to wait and see.

BTW, your video reviews of the fiesta moment ST are one of the reasons I bought my car. Helped me make probably the best car decision I ever have. Thank you. [cheers]

I disagree, the 1.0L is used in the MSport R2 rally cars and in the Formula EcoBoost race car. Granted, the Formula car is a very lightweight platform. The use of the 1.0L in the R2 rally car suggests to me that the engine is capable of being used in a performance/sporty car. What the 1.0L is paired to makes a big difference. In a Fiesta with a manual, it is a great motor. Stick it with an automatic or anything heavier and it loses it's appeal quickly. I am sure if the 1.0L was paired with the ST manual in a Fiesta, it would be even better. The 1.5L should prove to be a great engine for the ST. I am not worried at all. Of course, we may never even get the car, so this all speculation.
And I disagree as well (and that's okay). Before I go on, we do know you gave examples of two cars that have their engine size limited by the rules and regulations of the governing racing body? They have to choose engines that small. A comparison like that only works when you are comparing apples to apples. I wouldn't say an open wheel racecar can be compared to a full-size, commuter car with airbags, radio, heated seat and extra features etc.

In addition, let's look at it from an engineering point of view. This motor is going to need 20+ PSI to reach these power numbers. Any car that relies on boost to make power generally feels sluggish when off-boost. To counter this, OEM's will fit an extremely small turbocharger to minimize lag. This means that tuning past OEM specs will provide very little gains. That's not taking into account the extremely high cylinder pressures that are already occurring from that much boost in a stock engine. So this issue is, for people like me who tune their cars past a certain point, is that it will likely prove to be an ineffective stock turbo platform providing minimal gains for the mods that "90%" of people do. Furthermore, the 1.5L 3 cylinder will fail to flow enough air to spool a larger turbo reliably, which limits tuning past OEM turbo stuff. So while it may be appealing to you, for people like me, the news is disappointing.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I'm not afraid, just skeptical. I want to be wrong, and hope that the new motor is better than what we currently have. Just gonna have to wait and see.

BTW, your video reviews of the fiesta moment ST are one of the reasons I bought my car. Helped me make probably the best car decision I ever have. Thank you. [cheers]
thanks! I have been very skeptical in the past and have found that Ford has surprised me every time. We will all wait and see, but I am pretty confident.

long thread, late to the party..

1 that steering wheel is almost selling it for me
2 that 1.5L isnt my thing... I have my doubts about the tuning potential (not that I am much of a tuner...)
3 the car is... not the most handsome, I feel like our car looks a bit better, especially the tail light of our current gen is way better. the front looks too mature. the wing looks functional without the gimmicky holes.

4... I read a few people isnt in favor of the wheels, but i like its over the top relatively unique look. sorta the first thing that caught my eye...

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
And I disagree as well (and that's okay). Before I go on, we do know you gave examples of two cars that have their engine size limited by the rules and regulations of the governing racing body? They have to choose engines that small. A comparison like that only works when you are comparing apples to apples. I wouldn't say an open wheel racecar can be compared to a full-size, commuter car with airbags, radio, heated seat and extra features etc.

In addition, let's look at it from an engineering point of view. This motor is going to need 20+ PSI to reach these power numbers. Any car that relies on boost to make power generally feels sluggish when off-boost. To counter this, OEM's will fit an extremely small turbocharger to minimize lag. This means that tuning past OEM specs will provide very little gains. That's not taking into account the extremely high cylinder pressures that are already occurring from that much boost in a stock engine. So this issue is, for people like me who tune their cars past a certain point, is that it will likely prove to be an ineffective stock turbo platform providing minimal gains for the mods that "90%" of people do. Furthermore, the 1.5L 3 cylinder will fail to flow enough air to spool a larger turbo reliably, which limits tuning past OEM turbo stuff. So while it may be appealing to you, for people like me, the news is disappointing.
From an engineering perspective, I 100% agree with your assessment. Saying the engine isn't suitable for a sporty/performance car is subjective and open to disagreement or agreement. From Ford's perspective, the aftermarket is of little concern. I am sure they would be happier if we didn't touch the product when we buy it. That isn't much fun, so we get our wrenches and head under the hood. I just caution of jumping to conclusions before we even know if the 1.5L ST will come to the US. Who knows, we may never get the car or it will have the 1.6L EB. Way too many assumptions at this point.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #74
This looks like a car for the non enthusiast.
Someone who WONT mod a car.

Exhaust - If you change it you lose the exhaust valve cutout.
And I assume the different driving modes change the tune, which account for different exhaust flow.
So you may lose the tune swapping ability???

Engine - Everyone is already covering it. The 3 cylinder won't move enough air for a larger turbo.
The thinner cylinder walls from a .5 liter per cylinder engine combined with the higher boost pressure to make 200 hp = no room for more power.

This is a bust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plainrt

1000 Post Club

And I assume the different driving modes change the tune, which account for different exhaust flow.

Engine - Everyone is already covering it. The 3 cylinder won't move enough air for a larger turbo.
The thinner cylinder walls from a .5 liter per cylinder engine combined with the higher boost pressure to make 200 hp = no room for more power.

This is a bust

So I'm a non enthusiast because my st is stockish and yet autocross shit out of it etc?????

Stupid ass remark. Your post is a bust

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #76
So I'm a non enthusiast because my st is stockish and yet autocross shit out of it etc?????

Stupid ass remark. Your post is a bust
Lmao damn so defensive.
This isn't that serious man, don't be so touchy [emoji23]
Clearly you just want to start an argument.

Just because your car is stock doesn't make you a non enthusiast.
But I'd say 90%, in my opinion, of the people in this community heavily mod their FiST.
So for the TYPE of enthusiast that enjoys modding the hell out of their car, this doesn't, atleast right now, seem like the type of car for them.

Never once did I say what you're accusing me of.
Calm down. I have no need to be hostile.
If you intend to be hostile, take it out on someone else.
Peace and love bruh

This is a bust

Lots of assumptions here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #80
He a true car guy so he knows all. Prob a cars and coffee type of guy also.
Lmfao I vape too!
I'm just talking to talk... I'm making opinions and assumptions.
Hope you enjoy it:)