Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Next Generation Fiesta ST Debut

Brura22

Confirmed adjustable driving modes
"Normal, Sport, and Track"

According to an EU newspaper -
Exhaust Cut Out Valve to make exhaust louder in certain driving modes.
3 cylinder 1.5 liter turbo.
197 horsepower.
Drops to 2 cylinders when cruising for maximum fuel efficiency.
Apple CarPlay

FYI - This is strictly EU news. None of this is confirmed or even hinted at for the US as of now.

Full Video of the clip originally posted on Instagram
https://youtu.be/0IYpXMpXoj0

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
That video is silly.

But that car/features look great and that exhaust note is awesome!

Thanks for posting!!

not sure if I like the wheels (4 bolt ughh) or styling of the car but it sure sounds good

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
wheels are little crazy, but the car looks good and a very nice evolution from the current car.

I WANT IT!

They'd better bring that here... Definitely trade in my '14 to pick one of these up. Once I see what C&D have to say about it anyway (assuming Ford does the intelligent thing and brings it stateside. Otherwise I'll promptly request a transfer to one of our EU locations [:p])

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I WANT IT!

They'd better bring that here... Definitely trade in my '14 to pick one of these up. Once I see what C&D have to say about it anyway (assuming Ford does the intelligent thing and brings it stateside. Otherwise I'll promptly request a transfer to one of our EU locations [:p])
It has already(dec 2016) been confirm there will be a 5 door Fiesta ST for the US market but nothing more on the specs. I am reserving judgement until I see more data. I do like the sound and the idea of the modes for highway driving.

Seeing as we're almost guaranteed to get the same powertrain, I certainly won't be upgrading to the newer model. 1.6L is almost too small to spool any real sized turbo and dropping a cylinder and .1L is going to make this even worse. I was hoping (dreaming) for a displacement bump, but got the opposite.

That said the interior looks to be a big improvement, and the exterior looks okay. A 3-cylinder 1.5L is the killer for me. Gone is the great tuning platform we have now. But so far this is speculation since we don't know if the US will get this powertrain.

It has already(dec 2016) been confirm there will be a 5 door Fiesta ST for the US market but nothing more on the specs. I am reserving judgement until I see more data. I do like the sound and the idea of the modes for highway driving.
So was it confirmed that the next gen Fiesta is making its way stateside? There was a whole thread debating that. If the new Fiesta doesn't come here, I'd be surprised if they made any updates to the US market ST.

Oh, and I just had a thought. Is that reported 200hp with or without boost? I know that in EU automakers can't claim the boost HP as the car's output, so the euromarket ST is advertised as 180hp whereas ours is marketed as 197hp.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Seeing as we're almost guaranteed to get the same powertrain, I certainly won't be upgrading to the newer model. 1.6L is almost too small to spool any real sized turbo and dropping a cylinder and .1L is going to make this even worse. I was hoping (dreaming) for a displacement bump, but got the opposite.
I'm with you there. I think that the 1.6 is the right size for the current FiST - it give us some room for tuning without being unbalanced in stock trim. Losing a cylinder and 100cc of displacement while finding more power makes me think that this new engine is much closer to its practical limit.

I like that they kept the manual gearbox instead of using a auto-clutch box but the normal/sport/track mode makes me think that they're still shipping the car with an open diff. And I wonder if normal/sport/track mode is the same as the on/limited/off setting of our current traction control system.

So far I prefer the Mk. 7.5.

I think the styling is less distinctive than current model - looks a little "anonymous hatchback" except from front view, maybe. Like the idea of a B&O stereo, though.

Yea, 3 cyl 1.5 is a let down. I can work past the loss of a cylinder and 100cc if the FiST weighs less then our cars. One of the main reasons I why I bought a FiST was because of the potential but you never know the 1.5 could be an amazing engine. It's not a crazy change in terms of displacement and 3 cylinders can sound pretty good. I mean I hands down prefer my 1.6 over the 2.0 in the FoST, so as long as they put the same focus (no pun intended) on performance engineering as they did with the 1.6 I will be happy, and not just a mildly tuned eco engine like the FoST got. The good news, it's not a 1.0 which truly would have been a deal breaker unless curb weight dropped below 2600lbs.

2 major things to get me to buy another FiST need to happen for the next Gen, potential and a better starting platform then the 7.5. Those are incredibly hard things to top as our vehicles are about as perfect as it gets in terms of a fun hot little hatch. Other then that I will just keep my vehicle until something else comes along and with my boring commute it may even be something radical like a Caterham but still keep the FiST.

On a side not, OMFG I would love a 3 door :)

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fi...ed-with-197bhp

New Ford Fiesta ST hot hatch set to star at Geneva with new 1.5-litre three-cylinder turbo engine

Ford has revealed a new Fiesta ST hot hatch, based on the upcoming seventh generation version of the supermini. The new ST family member will be the firm?s headline act at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show.

The biggest news is the move to an-all new engine configuration. The 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo used in the current car is out, replaced by a lightweight, aluminium 1.5-litre three-cylinder turbo.

The new motor produces 197bhp. That?s 17bhp up on the standard output of the current Fiesta ST, but equal to its ?overboost? figure. Torque swells from 240Nm to 290Nm, and Ford claims that the new Fiesta ST can crack 0-62mph in 6.7 seconds ? two tenths quicker than the current generation model and on par with the ST200. A top speed just above 140mph seems likely.

Naturally, the downsized motor will be cleaner and more efficient than the outgoing four-cylinder. Ford reckons CO2 emissions for the new model will tumble from 138g/km to 114g/km, and with cylinder de-activation technology on-board, fuel-economy should improve too.

Speaking to Auto Express last year, Ford?s head of small cars in Europe, Darren Palmer spoke up the prospects of a three-cylinder ST, calling the new engine ?promising?.

?It?s a great engine ? it sounds brilliant and there?s loads of torque when the turbo comes on boost?.

However, the improvement drive won?t just focus on what?s under the bonnet. According to Palmer, the European development team at the brand?s Lommel testing facility in Belgium has ?obsessed over the car?s steering. They?ve fine-tuned the calibration to make sure it drives exactly how a Fiesta should?. Palmer told us Ford knows it?s got one of the most popular superminis and wants to build on the nameplate?s popularity, so it?s ?going in hard with the new Fiesta?.

The seventh generation Fiesta is still based on Ford?s global B-car platform, but on top of the tweaks received by the standard car to improve grip, plus the new model?s wider track, the ST?s chassis has been further tuned by Ford Performance.

Like on the previous generation car, a torque-vectoring unit can step in to reduce understeer by braking the inside front wheel in corners, and the new Fiesta ST comes with three selectable driving modes ? Normal, Sport and Track ? altering traction control, throttle response, power steering and exhaust valve settings.

From launch the new Fiesta ST will be available in both three-door and five-door bodystyles. In terms of design, it cuts a close look to the standard new Fiesta in ST-line trim, but with a slightly more aggressive front bumper and grille, a painted rear diffuser, and exclusive 18-inch alloy wheels. A new paint colour option, Liquid Blue, also appears.

In the new cabin, Ford promises greater levels of personalisation than before. Interior styling packs will be available, offering alternative trim and finishes on items around the cockpit. In terms of technology, the new Sync 3 infotainment system appears alongside touchscreen displays up to 8-inches in size. In tune with the car?s hot hatch image, Recaro sports seats with chunky side bolsters appear up front, and a flat-bottomed sports steering wheel makes the cut.

Though the car will make its debut at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show, Ford won?t be launching the new Fiesta ST until early 2018. Order books should open at the end of the year though, and we expect a slight increase to around the ?19,000 mark when it goes on sale.

Yea, 3 cyl 1.5 is a let down. I can work past the loss of a cylinder and 100cc if the FiST weighs less then our cars.
So the issue in my mind is that the new Fiesta is moving up-market to make more room for the Ka. I mean just look at the interior, it seems pretty well equipped and the assumption is they also improved NVH as well as interior materials. All this adds weight and while usually new models can drop some weight, this Fiesta is on the same chassis as the last so I really don't think we will see any noticeably change (more than 50 pounds) in curb weight.

Also the issue with the 3 cylinders is that all it's power will basically come from boost to hit 200hp. Meaning it will feel sluggish off boost, and from a tuning perspective, cylinder pressures within the cylinders is going to be absolutely ridiculous. Obviously tuning only affects a very small percentage of the marketplace, but that is why I'm off put by it.