Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Using the Key Blade

I've removed the Key Blade from one of the remotes & keep it in my wallet, in case I'm out and about and the remote gets lost or destroyed somehow.
Question is ------- how does this thing work to start the car once you are inside using the Blade? And does using the Blade to gain access deactivate the alarm?
As usual, I could find no info in the manual regarding this (most horrible manual I've ever encountered). I'd PAY for a manual that's specific to my NA vehicle, as it's equipped, and covers EVERYTHING.
Anyhoo, if anyone knows the answers, please post. The time to figure it out is not when you are 50 miles from home and just dropped the remote into a lake.
Thanks!
Tom

Zormecteon

The blade won't start the car. It only allows you to get in. The importance of that is you can then pop the hood and get to the battery if you need a jump, or put it in neutral and release the hand brake if you need a tow. If you don't have a remote, the car isn't starting. ..

One thing you can do tho is to put an extra remote in the glove box. You can still lock the car with another remote. If you have a key blade you can then enter the car and, since there is an active remote inside the car, it will start. ...

Don't ask how I know.

zanethan

The blade won't start the car. It only allows you to get in. The importance of that is you can then pop the hood and get to the battery if you need a jump, or put it in neutral and release the hand brake if you need a tow. If you don't have a remote, the car isn't starting. ..

One thing you can do tho is to put an extra remote in the glove box. You can still lock the car with another remote. If you have a key blade you can then enter the car and, since there is an active remote inside the car, it will start. ...

Don't ask how I know.
Yes, but then anyone who smashes in your window can now drive off with your car. Maybe you live in a more honest area than I do but I would never leave the remote key for my car inside of it.

OP
TomCat
Thread Starter #4
I was thinking of keeping the extra remote in the car, but hiding it somewhere, maybe in the trunk area. could get at it from inside by lowering a back seat.

I have a unique situation that makes having a blade key very useful. My wife comes with my to my weekend job at a car museum. While I'm working, she can go to a nearby caf? and do work on her computer. I let her have the remote fob, since it's easier to use, and I keep the blade in my pocket. We can both come back to the car when we need to grab a snack or something, and I don't have the lump in my pocket while giving museum tours. At other times, if I'm running, hiking, etc, and want to keep my pockets free, I'll carry the blade, and leave the fob somewhere hidden near the car if there's a secure place.

Regarding the alarm, I will say this - if you use the blade, you can turn it one way to lock the doors. When you turn it once the other way, you unlock the driver door. Turn it again to unlock all doors. I've made the mistake of only turning it once, then opening another door from inside the car, which sets off the alarm.

Zissou

Yes, but then anyone who smashes in your window can now drive off with your car. Maybe you live in a more honest area than I do but I would never leave the remote key for my car inside of it.
Does that happen a lot in Charlotte? A thief goes down a road smashing into every car window until they happen to find a car that the owner has left the key in the glove box?

zanethan

Does that happen a lot in Charlotte? A thief goes down a road smashing into every car window until they happen to find a car that the owner has left the key in the glove box?
They wouldn't have to find the key in order to start the car, they would just need to push the button and realize that the car was responding to start it and drive off.

It's not that it happens all the time in Charlotte, but yes crime does happen and while I haven't had anyone try to break into my FiST someone did try to break into my previous car twice before I put up security cameras. Car break ins are a common occurrence in my area the FiST is largely ignored but given an opportunity I'm sure someone would steal it if they could.

In my opinion, there's no point in making it easier for thieves to steal stuff if you can help it. If I still lived in the small town I grew up in then I probably wouldn't think twice to leave the remote in the car but I no longer live in a small town or the best part of town for that matter.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
As [MENTION=4133]Zormecteon[/MENTION] said, you need a remote to start the car. I do remember seeing somewhere that if the battery in your remote was (almost?) discharged, you unlock the car with the key blade and then hold the remote next to the right side of the steering column over that round place where a keyed ignition slot would be, then start the car.
So it seems the main function of the key blade is to allow the car to be unlocked when you can't do it with a remote with a discharged battery.

They wouldn't have to find the key in order to start the car, they would just need to push the button and realize that the car was responding to start it and drive off.

It's not that it happens all the time in Charlotte, but yes crime does happen and while I haven't had anyone try to break into my FiST someone did try to break into my previous car twice before I put up security cameras. Car break ins are a common occurrence in my area the FiST is largely ignored but given an opportunity I'm sure someone would steal it if they could.

In my opinion, there's no point in making it easier for thieves to steal stuff if you can help it. If I still lived in the small town I grew up in then I probably wouldn't think twice to leave the remote in the car but I no longer live in a small town or the best part of town for that matter.
I will agree that Charlotte does have its fair share of crime and wouldn't ever leave the FOB in my glove box.

Zormecteon

I've used the key blade (just a couple of weeks ago I had to) and can say it takes a great deal of hand strength. I tried it again today and couldn't manage to turn the lock. There just isn't enough metal on the "wings" to get leverage.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I've removed the Key Blade from one of the remotes & keep it in my wallet, in case I'm out and about and the remote gets lost or destroyed somehow.
Question is ------- how does this thing work to start the car once you are inside using the Blade? And does using the Blade to gain access deactivate the alarm?
As usual, I could find no info in the manual regarding this (most horrible manual I've ever encountered). I'd PAY for a manual that's specific to my NA vehicle, as it's equipped, and covers EVERYTHING.
Anyhoo, if anyone knows the answers, please post. The time to figure it out is not when you are 50 miles from home and just dropped the remote into a lake.
Thanks!
Tom
Page 112 of your Owner's Manual shows how it is done with a dead battery remote. It is explained in the Starting the car section. No mention in the remote section![screwy]

Zormecteon

Page 112 of your Owner's Manual shows how it is done with a dead battery remote. It is explained in the Starting the car section. No mention in the remote section![screwy]
page 114 of my manual (2014).

King David

Thanks!
Tom
Rite I know this is an old thread but might still be useful to someone.. if your fob battery goes dead u can charge your key at home any wireless phone charger just place your key on top or a wireless toothbrush charger if u don't have phone charger if u have neither then go buy 1... hope this helps some1 😁

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just carry a spare 2035 button cell, and a small slotted screwdriver in my back pack just in case the battery decides to go all at once, with no 'weakening' warning at all. [wink]

Would/could any key makers anywhere make a functioning, full size thumb portion key from our remote fob blade key?? [dunno]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Even if the Fiesta ST key fob had a charging coil, the CR2032 button battery itself is not rechargable.

EDIT: But then again maybe the later model 3 cylinder Euro vehicles add this capability.