Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Knocking Noise

Ok. I will do the same and report it it to the dealership.
Thank you.
I would let them know it only happens when the engine is warm, I brought mine in and they said they didn't hear it but I'm assuming it was because the car wasn't fully warmed up, and that's the only time I hear it. For what it's worth, I noticed this when the car was less than two weeks old, I have had it for 2 years now and put 28k miles on it without a single issue. It hasn't affected anything that I am aware of.

Ok thanks . It's just making me paranoid that something will break . I guess Ford is still the same. This is my first Ford product since the 80's and it's turning out to be the same bad experience.[:(!][?|][?|]

I know its disconcerting to hear a noise that is typically associated with some sort of valve-train error state. My car does the same thing and were it not for this forum i'd probably be upset about it too. But what helps me sleep at night is knowing that this is a performance engine that is: turbocharged, direct injected, and comes with variable valve timing for both intake and exhaust. With that much tech, and probably a hundred if not more tables in the stock ECU mapping, who really knows what brings out the tapping noise at idle.

The other thing to note is this engine is used in, like two dozen other vehicles. With the NA FiST being the highest rated of the bunch I would not be surprised to learn that certain compromises in the NVH department were required to achieve the higher top end.

What I would really like to learn is how common is this issue exactly? My car does it - does yours? Is this a poll worthy question?

Yes i think that is a poll worthy question ! I'd like to know how many of us have this "problem".
You should start one.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Aren't the actual lifters in these engines a SOLID 'bucket' type??

That alone, with the reduced oil pressure/flow of idle speeds, would result in at least some noise, one would think, no?? [dunno]
(That's BEFORE you even add in all of the noise of the direct injectors/DI high pressure pump, VVT, cam phasers, etc.!)

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Aren't the actual lifters in these engines a SOLID 'bucket' type??

That alone, with the reduced oil pressure/flow of idle speeds, would result in at least some noise, one would think, no?? [dunno]
(That's BEFORE you even add in all of the noise of the direct injectors/DI high pressure pump, VVT, cam phasers, etc.!)
Exactly. When it quits making noise worry. This type of valvetrain typically tightens up valve clearance over time.

I got the same noise; 47k km and not getting any worse, although it's still incredibly annoying.

I was thinking it's the slack in the transmission and fluid getting thinner when hot. My reasoning for this is the noise goes away when I depress the clutch. I can also emit similar sounding clacks when I abruptly tap the accelerator when driving and when I'm taking off from stop, right before the clutch is engaged completely as i'm lifting my foot up (sort of like a split second clack-clack-clack burst). All that begins to occur after the car has been driven for a while, especially if its left off for a half an hour or so, then driven again. In neutral, with the increased slack, it could be that the gears are free to bounce back and forth, which results in the uneven rattle.

Jacques31

Hi Guys

We own the 2013 Fiesta ST and I noticed the noise from the beginning, sounds like the lifters. Now that I've read all your comments it sounds like a factory issue, however mine has a piston slap now and the motor has 96000km on. Full service history and my wife drives this car daily.

Very disappointed in this car, Ford recommended we replace the motor but extended warranty only covers 20% of the cost and what Ford is charging to replace is what the car is worth.

Hi Guys

We own the 2013 Fiesta ST and I noticed the noise from the beginning, sounds like the lifters. Now that I've read all your comments it sounds like a factory issue, however mine has a piston slap now and the motor has 96000km on. Full service history and my wife drives this car daily.

Very disappointed in this car, Ford recommended we replace the motor but extended warranty only covers 20% of the cost and what Ford is charging to replace is what the car is worth.
Wow, good to know. I have extended as well but this kind of defeats the whole purpose for me, which was to not have to pay in case of a serious failure like that... Any chance you can get the noise on camera?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Keep in mind his is the beginning of the Run of the FiSTs and over the years they have changed some things up from a quality stand point....Paint Not being one of them though...FML!

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Hi Guys

Who diagnosed it as piston slap ?