Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Knocking Noise

I just bought a 2016 FiST and when the car is warmed up I hear a knocking noise while idling in neutral if I tap the throttle than its not noticeable. It sounds Like its coming from the lower end. The car only has 248 miles on it. Has anyone else noticed it? Is it normal? And what is it? I do have an appointment next week, just looking for some opinions on the matter

It's likely just your injectors. They are loud AF at idle.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I had the same issue on my 2015. I don't believe it is the injectors, as it only happens when the engine is warm and it is an inconsistent ticking/tapping sound. If you do a search you will see a lot of members with the same issue. You can also do a YouTube search and see if it is the same sound you are experiencing. I don't think Ford had ever figured out the problem either. I know one member got his engine replaced because of the sound (even though it wasn't affecting anything), got the second motor and had the same problem.

I brought mine in for Ford to look at and they said they didn't hear it (likely because the engine was cold). I noticed the problem at around 3k miles, I have 30k on the car and it has never caused me any problems. To be honest, I don't even know if it still makes the sound, I haven't heard it, but I also haven't been listening for it and it's still winter so I haven't had the windows open. I don't think it has actually caused any members any problems on here, not that I have seen at least. I would do a search and if it is the same sound you are experiencing I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Does it go away if you press in the clutch?

OP
Anthizzle
Thread Starter #6
Ok well I'm going in for another reason too my left rear brake is applying more pressure than the right rear side

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Could be the DI sound. One thing to note is the engine new (less than 5k) is not all meshed together yet with all the tolerances. There is a breaking in period. I had similar coming for an non DI car thinking this was busted. I did the breaking in period drive (slow accelerations, no constant RPM (Even on highways)) and it went away. Now at over 40k miles the engine purrs nicely. Don't rush too quickly to change the oil on the first drop. Seems 3-5k is best but you want to change it ever 3-5k for the first 2-3 changes to get all the metal particles out of the engine as parts wear together.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Does it go away if you press in the clutch?

^ Good question.

Suspect you're talking about lifter noise from the top-end. This is in particular when it's hot. I've noticed this in engines with hydraulic roller lifters. So what you could be hearing is a lifter hitting the camshaft. It's more like a tap than a knock.

If this is what is taking place, the oil may be thinning out too much when hot. As long as there isn't a problem, a damaged roller lifter or pitted cam, using heavier weight will take care of it. Though the numbers on the bottle may be the same, oils brands do feel different in terms of their slickness and viscosity when running through my fingers. Though subtle to start with, the noise went away after switching to Castrol. [thumb]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is there ANY possibility that it is the cam phasers everyone is hearing, or would they sound MUCH different?? [dunno]

Brura22

It's the injectors.
Research DI and loud injectors some. There's countless threads on the forums as well.
You can't hear it when you blip the throttle cause other engine noise is covering it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Difficult to discern without good headphones and DSP effects turned-off but, sounds like I hear a tap; synonymous with cam rotation; top-end noise; lifter. Taps with varying audibility from one tap to another.

Injector sounds by contrast is hyper-rhythmic... regular. Injector noises will stop and start, fade in and out but the timing between sounds and the regularity is quite static.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
^ Good question.

Suspect you're talking about lifter noise from the top-end. This is in particular when it's hot. I've noticed this in engines with hydraulic roller lifters. So what you could be hearing is a lifter hitting the camshaft. It's more like a tap than a knock.

If this is what is taking place, the oil may be thinning out too much when hot. As long as there isn't a problem, a damaged roller lifter or pitted cam, using heavier weight will take care of it. Though the numbers on the bottle may be the same, oils brands do feel different in terms of their slickness and viscosity when running through my fingers. Though subtle to start with, the noise went away after switching to Castrol. [thumb]
The cam act directly on inverted buckets.

Common issue which frequently pops up in forums. I've had techs at the dealer tell me you can try running 5w-30 to see if it helps. Some owners have reported this does the trick. With 20k miles on the clock, I've had no driveability issues because of the tapping.

zanethan

Mine makes it as well. I'm guessing it's normal.

The LS1 engines made a similar noise and those are pretty stout engines.

Picked up the car with 14 miles on the clock, and noticed that tapping noise the first week of ownership. I have now 25k and counting, and so far no apparent startup, drive ability, or oil problems to make note of. Don't think it grew louder since then either so I'm not trying to worry about it. I've been running 5-20w.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The LS1 engines made a similar noise and those are pretty stout engines.
[???:)]

The noises most of those engines made (at least the early, pre-2001 versions) were inconsequential PISTON SLAP related, NOT valve train related (unless they were some of the few which suffered a collapsed lifter, bent pushrods, or lost the needle bearings out of their factory rocker arms.

At 250K+ miles, my Z28's LS1 suffered a blown up lifter (actually lost the bearings out of the roller, probably due to hard road course use/over revving too often), and you could hear me coming from 300 yards away, such was the clacking clatter. [:(]
(It's why I HAD TO get this car, as it was WAY TOO MUCH coin even just for labor costs getting the engine out of and back into the car, let alone finding a decent, low(er) mile LS1/6 to replace for less than $4K.)

I have the same problem with my 2016 Fist. I just got it this Jan. I noticed the same sound . Mine has 2100 km. I'm really worried that this will have a long term effect on the engine . Does Ford have a solution to this noise ? Or will they just give me the run-around?[:(!]

Did they fix the problem ?any updates would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!

OP
Anthizzle
Thread Starter #20
Ford rd me that every thing with the car is fine on the issue with the noise so I have a record now just in case something does happen