Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mp215

Does any one in the portland oregon metro area have a fiesta st with the mp215 tune and do you have an exhaustive that passes DEQ?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Unless you touch the CAT any CBE would pass the test unless they test for noise. Any CARB approved parts will also ensure passing.

Zormecteon

Does any one in the portland oregon metro area have a fiesta st with the mp215 tune and do you have an exhaustive that passes DEQ?
I live in Washington, but both bought my car and had the mp215 installed down in Portland. I don't have to pass DEQ, but.......

A large part of the wait to install the mp215 was that Ford wouldn't issue the warranty update until after the mp215 kit had passed CARB (California Resource Board) emissions testing to PROVE that the kit added no more pollution than came from a stock car. I had the kit on my floor for nearly six months while waiting for CARB to finish their testing and issue the certification number, then for FORD to acknowledge it. ...

Short answer, .. mp215 kit equipped car will pass any states DEQ (or equivalent) testing.

OP
Anthizzle
Thread Starter #6
How much was it to get the mp215 installed? and where did you get it done?

Zormecteon

I had it done by Aldridge Motorsports. I can't say the exact cost of the mp215 because at the same time I had the intercooler installed and the Quick Shift. The total was $411. They've since moved from their old location, but give them a call. I wish they did regular servicing as I wish they could be the only ones to even touch my car. .. 503-284-8484. Last time I talked to them was right after they'd moved and they weren't taking on any work. If they're up and running again, please pass that info along. .. GOOD LUCK.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is the exact reason I will not move to the west coast is bogus garbage such as emissions testing.....do the really do sound testing also? If that's the case I think I'd rather light my hair on fire than even visit there.

Zormecteon

Does the throttle response get better with the mp215
There's more power with which to respond, but if the question is---does it remap the throttle sensor? i.e. is "tip in" changed? .. I have no idea. In third gear and up it pulls better. The mp215 does not remove the factory boost restriction in 1st and 2nd gears, but since the 0-60 times go down by about a 1/2 second, there is definitely more power available.

I'm a little (a lot?) confused.
I understand that the Mountune215 doesn't void the factory warranty if installed by a Ford dealer or an ASE mechanic, and proof sent to Ford.
If the only mod you have is a K&N drop in filter, what's to install? The thing just plugs into the OBD port & downloads. [dunno]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I'm a little (a lot?) confused.
I understand that the Mountune215 doesn't void the factory warranty if installed by a Ford dealer or an ASE mechanic, and proof sent to Ford.
If the only mod you have is a K&N drop in filter, what's to install? The thing just plugs into the OBD port & downloads. [dunno]
The mp215 is a tune and that is the install and the air box.

Aha! So the tune loaded in the AP by Mountune is considered the "qualifying installation". Got it, thanks! [thumb]
No... pretty simple. You must pay a certified mechanic to install the airbox and tune. Them you will get a receipt showing your vin, your name, the date the parts were installed, that both the airbox and the m-tune were installed and working correctly. Then Ford will accept that it was done correctly and write it into your ownership log as being fully warranted.

If you skip any if that you will not have factory warranty

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

OK, I've finally got it.
Have read multiple posts on this topic (tune & warranty) and the more I read, the confuseder I became.
So,,,,,,,,,,,for anyone else a little befuddled about this, here's the skinny:
1) Mountune sells the Ford approved tuned AP for $999, which INCLUDES an airbox which MUST be installed as part of the process by a Dealer or ASE mechanic
2) Mountune also sells a Cobb tuned AP for $499, which comes with their drop-in filter and you can install at home by just plugging it into the OBD port. However, this isn't approved by Ford.
So bottom line, you pay $500 (plus installation) more to keep your warranty. And they throw in an airbox. [party]

If I go this route (tuning), I'll probably just go with the Cobb and take my warranty chances.

Zormecteon

What I considered beyond the $$$$ was the fact that since it doesn't affect the warranty, Ford believes that it isn't going to cause inordinate wear. As an example, the above mentioned restriction on boost in first and second gear that is removed with the COBB tune. Sure, that makes it feel much hotter in the low gears, but how much more strain does it put on the drive train? Is the reason for the factory restriction because of U-joints and clutch wear, or just to help control torque steer? Since I plan to own the car until I can't drive anymore, (I'm retired) longevity IS an issue. For many on the forum the ST is just the "flavor of the month" and will sell the car when something else catches their fancy. If you plan to trade in the car in 5 to 7 years or less, say 75,000 miles or under, COBB would definitely be more attractive, BUT...... .... ... ..

My 2?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
What I considered beyond the $$$$ was the fact that since it doesn't affect the warranty, Ford believes that it isn't going to cause inordinate wear. As an example, the above mentioned restriction on boost in first and second gear that is removed with the COBB tune. Sure, that makes it feel much hotter in the low gears, but how much more strain does it put on the drive train? Is the reason for the factory restriction because of U-joints and clutch wear, or just to help control torque steer? Since I plan to own the car until I can't drive anymore, (I'm retired) longevity IS an issue. For many on the forum the ST is just the "flavor of the month" and will sell the car when something else catches their fancy. If you plan to trade in the car in 5 to 7 years or less, say 75,000 miles or under, COBB would definitely be more attractive, BUT...... .... ... ..

My 2?
My thoughts exactly. This will be my last new car. Plus I travel lots so warranty coverage at any Ford dealer is a big plus on the $$ spent. Also with some effort the cost can be reduced, the MP215 can be purchased from any Ford dealer and many discount parts. Installation must be signed off by an ASE mechanic who can allow you to do the labor and inspect and sign off on the installation. So long story short it cost me a case of beer for the inspection/signoff. My son who is a GM LS engine builder (eeeewwww!!!) installed it after sterilizing his hands and tools then took it to a fellow Ford ASE mechanic with a case of beer! As to the value people leave out the completely redesigned airbox with a true cold air intake and the K&N filter, much better than sucking hot underhood air with a "short ram" and a cone filter....$200? Plus $500 for AP so $300 for the tune and warranty sounds good to me. My actual costs were about $900 for the MP-215 installed. We also shared the beer and bashed on my sons monster 550HP 6.2L Trans-Am while we were at it!

Good points Z and j.
Guess it comes down to (as Dirty Harry would say) "Do ya feel lucky, punk?" lol

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club

My 2?
MP215 does remove some limitation in 1-2 gear. Not like a custom tune per say. But to be fair the MP215 is a more custom tune than the OTS from Cobb. Just wanted to point that out. The one thing I know with speaking to mechanics, shops and DIY about Mountune part is that they fit perfectly every time, easy to install (as easy as getting to the part) and have the quality expected at the $. Personally I fell that not only are the a performance upgrade they are a reliability upgrade as the parts are more robust. I keep vehicles 10 years minimum 300k miles or more, I drive them every day and some days very spirited.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club

My 2?
MP215 does remove some limitation in 1-2 gear. Not like a custom tune per say. But to be fair the MP215 is a more custom tune than the OTS from Cobb. Just wanted to point that out. The one thing I know with speaking to mechanics, shops and DIY about Mountune part is that they fit perfectly every time, easy to install (as easy as getting to the part) and have the quality expected at the $. Personally I fell that not only are the a performance upgrade they are a reliability upgrade as the parts are more robust. I keep vehicles 10 years minimum 300k miles or more, I drive them every day and some days very spirited.