Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Almost money shifted, question inside.

So i was out having a little fun with my baby, after recently installing a few more power adders. As of right now I'm Cobb RMM, intake, intercooler, Wastegate, diverter valve, and protune from Adam Tuned w/ 93 octane. Just to give you the idea I'm a little more than stock.

So, i had a spirited redline pull to through second, and as i was about to shift to third it was like there was a physical gate i could not get past. It caused me to catch a tiny bit of first before i immediately put the clutch back in. I heard a loud thud and thought to myself that i just bought a new transmission. I pulled over and checked everything out and it still looks good. I'm not leaking any fluid, axles aren't spewing goo everywhere. I can still shift gears fine, every thing still feels good.

But... If I'm stepping on it in second its like the motor shift stops me from getting into third. I have to wait a second with the clutch in before i can get it into third. Normal driving i have no problems. Its only when I'm on heavy throttle in second gear. All the other gears are fine. Any thoughts as to why third has become so difficult? Is my motor flexing on the mounts so much that it wont let the transmission line up for 3rd? I'm at a loss and need some help from the experts.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Likely the flexing. Since I put the boomba metal bushings it is way easier to shift at speeds. Also do a tranny fluid upgrade, it helps a lot. Lastly you could try a transmission cable adjustment (rodmoe did a good write up on how to do it) but I doubt it is that.

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
Likely the flexing. Since I put the boomba metal bushings it is way easier to shift at speeds. Also do a tranny fluid upgrade, it helps a lot. Lastly you could try a transmission cable adjustment (rodmoe did a good write up on how to do it) but I doubt it is that.
What kind of fluid should I use? Any suggestions?

How difficult were the bushings to install? Do I need some crazy tools?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
What kind of fluid should I use? Any suggestions?

How difficult were the bushings to install? Do I need some crazy tools?
There are many options for fluid. Do a search on the forum some like the thicker stuff if the temperature never gets cold. Others not so much, I use Royal Purple Syncromax and I like it for all conditions (very cold to hot). As for the bushing install it is lengthy but easy. For teh tranny you need to remove the airbox and battery. Sounds worse then it is. For the shifter you need to remove the items around it.

[video]https://youtu.be/uHjjnwQHbgo[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/F6Ju0TxeWMI[/video]

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
Aaaaaaand I just bought all new bushings. Thank you for the advice.

If anyone else has any thoughts, suggestions, what ever, please let me know.

I had the same thing happen to me in my Mazda 3. I never figured out what it was. That was the last straw for me with that car and traded it in for my fiST. Hope you find a quick fix!

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
I had the same thing happen to me in my Mazda 3. I never figured out what it was. That was the last straw for me with that car and traded it in for my fiST. Hope you find a quick fix!
Yeah, i hope i figure it out too. I think it has something to do with the engine flex. When i put on all the new bushings i'll poke around and see if i can form a new hypothesis. I'll come back to this thread in a week or two when i get everything and let everyone know, incase this happens to someone else.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
UPDATE: in case anyone is using this for a search. I ended up messing up one of my synchros for second to third gear. A few months after this incident it caused me to miss 3rd gear during a spirited pull and basically destroy my transmission. 3300 bux later, i have learned a few things :)