Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Down pipe bolt

Trader history for Spaceman_Spiff (0)

Hi. I somehow f'd up the threads on one of the three bolts connecting the down pipe to the turbo. Is this something I will need to source from ford, and if so, can you help me out with a part number? I have no idea about heat properties and materials, etc., so I wouldn't even know where to start if sourcing locally.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my Spaceship

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Hi. I somehow f'd up the threads on one of the three bolts connecting the down pipe to the turbo. Is this something I will need to source from ford, and if so, can you help me out with a part number? I have no idea about heat properties and materials, etc., so I wouldn't even know where to start if sourcing locally.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my Spaceship
Just the bolt or the thread in the block to?

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #4
I guess I should stick one of the others in there just to be sure.

Sent from my Spaceship

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #5
Upon further investigation:
I can thread a different bolt into the "problem hole" and it gets a few turns in and gets tough to turn. I haven't tried to force it. The good news is that it's a flange, so if it comes down to it, I should be able to use a nut and bolt to hold it together. Hopefully. Is there anything I can do to help save this situation? I have no idea how I managed to strip a bolt while unscrewing it. I think it was the last one to come out so the down pipe pulled it downward in the last turns.

Sent from my Spaceship

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #7
I took a pic, but can't attach thru tapatalk. I'll have to get another this evening when I get home. It's about 2/3 of one thread that is messed up on the bolt. I took pics of the flange to see if I could see the threads, I'll try uploading those.

Sent from my Spaceship

I knackered the top dp bolt at 10k miles. I used a hacksaw blade and cut the head of the bolt off with the dp still in place to swap dp's a second time. 25k miles being held together with only two bolts and zero issues.

Upon further investigation:
I can thread a different bolt into the "problem hole" and it gets a few turns in and gets tough to turn. I haven't tried to force it. The good news is that it's a flange, so if it comes down to it, I should be able to use a nut and bolt to hold it together. Hopefully. Is there anything I can do to help save this situation? I have no idea how I managed to strip a bolt while unscrewing it. I think it was the last one to come out so the down pipe pulled it downward in the last turns.

Sent from my Spaceship
I did this on my downpipe as well but I also broke a bolt off. Tech friend had to torch the old bolt and rethread the hole he thought he was going to have to helacoil it but it worked out. I'd say that the threads on the turbo itself are probably damaged like mine were. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #12
I knackered the top dp bolt at 10k miles. I used a hacksaw blade and cut the head of the bolt off with the dp still in place to swap dp's a second time. 25k miles being held together with only two bolts and zero issues.
I'm hesitant about this, considering the need for a rmm in these cars, and also how much the exhaust moves during acceleration, etc.

Sent from my Spaceship

I'm hesitant about this, considering the need for a rmm in these cars, and also how much the exhaust moves during acceleration, etc.

Sent from my Spaceship
No, I hear you. I just didn't want to be bothered with dicking around in that tiny spot of the engine bay and haven't been in a position to pull the manifold. At first, the plan was to test the two-bolt-only arrangement for a day or so...then one day it hit me that I forgot about it. It was 2 months later. I have zero leak at that flange and I drive the car assertively. Just .02?

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #14
Well I took pics, and I attempted to upload them, but I've exceeded my album size. Last time this happened it took a few days for it to clear out. I'll see what else I can arrange. I use google photos, but those aren't that conducive to sharing on forums...

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Well I took pics, and I attempted to upload them, but I've exceeded my album size. Last time this happened it took a few days for it to clear out. I'll see what else I can arrange. I use google photos, but those aren't that conducive to sharing on forums...
Instead of an album just reply click advanced and select managed attachments. This way they don't go in the album.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Internet mechanic reply (for what it is worth :) )

Hole threads in the hole look okay. I would use alot of lubrication and clean the hole with a tap set or a new bolt, doing a lot of tightening and loosening as the bolt progresses in . Looks like the bolt was scrapping the downpipe (downpipe hanging off the bolt) causing the threads damage. When installing the new bolt pay attention to the torque. You can also use medium strength thread lock on the bolt to help seal any gap. This will actually help the removal in teh future as it prevents debris from creeping in.