Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OEM Springs: Koni or Bilstein?

To be clear, I believe the only real choices to be Koni Yellows, Koni STR.Ts, and Bilstein B6. I want the bounchouse ride GONE and I don't want to lose OEM handling. Improvement on handling is the real goal, however. I will be autocrossing in stock class. This is where I am at the moment.

Koni Yellows: having to remove the rears in order to adjust them is a deal killer for me, but I'm willing to listen

Koni STR.Ts: reading some opinions that they soften turn-in, and that's a turn-off for me

Bilstein B6: found very little on these, but they currently don't have any negatives I can find, either

I would appreciate input from anyone who has used any of these WITH THE OEM SPRINGS (can't replace them in stock class). Thanks!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Well I can confirm you can adjust the rears on the car, just lift and disconnect the bottom. Proceed to adjust. Likely just as fast to remove them and less frustrating. Personally debating between B6 or B8 on stock springs. The STR.Ts are nice and cheap. Could try and swap later if unhappy. Between the Bilstein and the Koni Yellow. Nice to have the adjustment but will you really ever adjust them more than once?

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I haven't used the Bilsteins yet but this will probably be my next upgrade. Everything I've heard so far places both as better than str.ts in performance and comfort. Was a discussion going for bilsteins on another thread here.

Bounciness, something I never really thought of the FiST having especially compared to my FoST. To me the only negative is when it comes to large impacts the dampers don't seem to like them then upset the chassis a bit.

I think the best options are either the Yellows or B6's. That can really be decided if you car for rebound adjustment or not. I know a few people who have done both on the FoST and they did wonders in terms of resolving the bounciness. If it was me I would go B6's, if I was changing springs then a cup kit with Yellows. Too bad for the AutoX restriction, something like a B14 would most likely suit your needs perfect and their very reasonably priced for the FiST.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Bounciness, something I never really thought of the FiST having especially compared to my FoST. To me the only negative is when it comes to large impacts the dampers don't seem to like them then upset the chassis a bit.

I think the best options are either the Yellows or B6's. That can really be decided if you car for rebound adjustment or not. I know a few people who have done both on the FoST and they did wonders in terms of resolving the bounciness. If it was me I would go B6's, if I was changing springs then a cup kit with Yellows. Too bad for the AutoX restriction, something like a B14 would most likely suit your needs perfect and their very reasonably priced for the FiST.
^^^What is a "cup kit" above?? [dunno]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Basically Koni Yellows or really any standard damper converted to coilovers. http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=958/CA=24 Gives you benefits of a coilover in terms of spring options and height adjustability but with out going to a designated coilover set up.
OK, that is EXACTLY what I want to do (and have mentioned many times in these threads before) once GC releases their setup * for this car! [thumb]

I just never heard the term "cup" used for them before, and have only heard it referenced to a kit for one make road racing series kits. [wink]

* I spoke directly to them in early September, and they said they have a FiST to work with, in their shop, which they are using to develop a kit for, with an availability in late spring/early summer this year-HOPEFULLY!

OP
Kazz

Kazz

Thread Starter #10
Someone mentioned B8s above. I just wanted to clarify that B8s are for use with lowering springs while B6s are for OEM springs. It's nice if the Yellows are easier to adjust than I'm thinking they are.

In asking about the HS rules in autocross, apparently the new shocks/struts cannot modify the distance between the hub and lower spring mount. I guess that's now what I need to ask about from the vendors, although it sounds like the Koni products are already in use by HS competitors.

And I found a great price on shocks and struts from this website: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/

Has anyone done business with them?

Thanks!

GAbOS

When I heard CUP Kit I also got a little excited. HR has "CUP Kits" that are specially designed dampers with spring combos.