Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can and the Front Strut Brace

I searched, but could not find an existing thread about something that was probably covered before. So for search posterity sake:

Are any of the following catch cans compatible with the Mountune and/or the Pierce front strut brace?

1. Mishimoto
  2. Damond
  3. JBR

All three end up inboard of the passenger side strut tower and two of them use the same mounting point as the bars. Any trailblazers or judicious observers out there who can chime in and help? Thanks in advance!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I run the mountune strut brace and the mishimoto catch can. The mishimoto installs between the headlight and the coolant reservoir. And not using the strut tower at all.

Check my build thread for pictures.

I believe the original mishimoto can mounted there, bu with the new bracket (v2 I think) it's located towards the front of the engine. 2017-02-28 08.00.46.jpg

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I believe the original mishimoto can mounted there, bu with the new bracket (v2 I think) it's located towards the front of the engine. View attachment 13430
Location is exactly the same as your picture (hoses did not change) just the mounting is not on he engine block but via somewhere under the headlight. I still use the engine one.

OP
speed_easy
Thread Starter #5
Maaan, I was hoping someone would not say that one! Its too fancy for what I was hoping to budget for. [xx(]

Thanks for the clarification about the position though, I did not realize how far forward that puts the Mishi in the engine bay. I'm now wondering if there are alternative options for cans that mount there. It definitely looks like they thought out the hoses because those bends are really specific and stout looking. Looks like a clean design overall.

How much clearance does the Mishi have to the headlamp?

Maaan, I was hoping someone would not say that one! Its too fancy for what I was hoping to budget for. [xx(]

Thanks for the clarification about the position though, I did not realize how far forward that puts the Mishi in the engine bay. I'm now wondering if there are alternative options for cans that mount there. It definitely looks like they thought out the hoses because those bends are really specific and stout looking. Looks like a clean design overall.

How much clearance does the Mishi have to the headlamp?
It is a pretty nice setup. You have to remove the headlight to empty the can (at least I do). But as far as exact clearance numbers I couldn't say because I'm currently about 7000 miles from my car. But I can assure you there is clearance.

VirtualRonin

Active Military
I searched, but could not find an existing thread about something that was probably covered before. So for search posterity sake:

Are any of the following catch cans compatible with the Mountune and/or the Pierce front strut brace?

1. Mishimoto
  2. Damond
  3. JBR

All three end up inboard of the passenger side strut tower and two of them use the same mounting point as the bars. Any trailblazers or judicious observers out there who can chime in and help? Thanks in advance!
I have the Mountune strut brace and the Damond catch can, no issues with mounting. It uses a stud on the side of the strut to mount and is completely clear of the strut brace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have the Mountune strut brace and the Damond catch can, no issues with mounting. It uses a stud on the side of the strut to mount and is completely clear of the strut brace.
Do the brace mounts/brackets make it any harder to reach the drain valve on the bottom of the Damond can, or are they not in the way whatsoever??

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Do the brace mounts/brackets make it any harder to reach the drain valve on the bottom of the Damond can, or are they not in the way whatsoever??
The strut brace doesn't make it too much harder to reach IMO. It's a tight spot, yes, but once you get the engine cover off you can reach back there just enough to get your fingers on the drain valve to turn it.

IMG_2376.jpg