Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

pop start?

Is it possible to pop start these cars (get the car rolling and release the clutch in first gear)? If the battery is completely dead? Maybe if the battery has enough juice to power the fuel pump, but otherwise I'm assuming it won't work.

TUX15ST

Yes you can pop start, once the car is started the battery is irrelevant, it will run fine as long as the alternator is good.

I love pop tarts. toasted or not, one of the best things ever

------------

Pop starts, that reminds me of the old poor college days. We had just enough hill that we could pop start my roommates prelude with no push.

Yeah I had to do it a few weeks ago. Much easier if you are on some sort of decline. Even at 2700 lbs. it is still a beast to push to get enough speed to pop start.

OP
R
Thread Starter #5
Good to know it works, thanks. I was thinking if the battery was completely dead, or even removed, that it wouldn't work because the ECU wouldn't be powered and the high pressure fuel pump wouldn't work. I suppose a few revolutions would get the alternator providing some juice though. How does the keyless ignition and steering column lock work without any power?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Put the car in 2nd gear and let the clutch out slowly....lots easier on the car and driver.

Quite often a battery has enough "juice" to power accessories but not turn a starter.