Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How do I remove spacers

I consider myself an adequate grease monkey but I'm stumped. I bought my car used with the Garage Line 15mm spacers already installed. I'm trying to take them off because I bought a set of 16x7 Sparcos that rub.

Anywho, the nuts that hold the spacers on are an acorn style and in their current state they are sunk down to the point I can't get a grip with a socket (including a thin wall socket)

The lead in (tapered edge) to the socket is basically the same distance the nut is sticking out.

This is the result of one attempt to use the socket.

So now I'm stuck. The only way I can think of getting these nuts off is to use one of those specialty sockets to remove damaged nuts. There isn't any lead in. But then the question is, how did these get installed in the first place? I don't plan on reusing these in the future but I also don't want to destroy them.

What am I missing guys? Any suggestions or recommendations are welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It looks like you're in for a load of double suck here because those studs have been cut aswell. Not sure of you can get the hub off with the spacer on, but i would just cut the losses and go get a new set with new studs.

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

OP
sheeplehearder
Thread Starter #3
Yeah, I already bought new studs. The plan was to remove the spacers then replace the studs. Maybe it'll be easier to replace the entire hub instead.

If you're not trying to save the spacers, you can cut a groove in a fat part of the nut and use a big flat head screwdriver and a hammer to tap the nut loose

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

Sekred

1000 Post Club
You may need to get a socket machine down. Looking at the photo a 12 point socket will probably do the job. Grind the taper or lead on the socket right off. Don't use a impact gun.

OP
sheeplehearder
Thread Starter #6
Brilliant. Never thought about just grinding down a socket. I think I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks.