Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thank You Ford for destroying the Fiesta ST. RIP 2014-17

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The 1.0L 3 cylinder engine was designed for a max cylinder volume of 500cc or 1.5L. I don't know what the max on the 1.6L engine is capable of, it is currently 400cc. Could be it to would go to 500cc so maybe up to 2.0L?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not really trying to stir the pot (maybe just a little). But for all those saying almost 200 stock and 300+ modified out of a 1.6 is something special and new, ill just leave this here.

But that's all just numbers power under the curve and torque have come a long way.

You are not claiming that the 'duh peeps got 300 naturally aspirated ponies out of those 1.6es, are you?!? [dunno]

(And IF somehow they did, it took what, 15:1 compression, 115+ octane race gas, and 13,500+ revs to do it? HARDLY 'streetable' [nono])

You are not claiming that the 'duh peeps got 300 naturally aspirated ponies out of those 1.6es, are you?!? [dunno]

(And IF somehow they did, it took what, 15:1 compression, 115+ octane race gas, and 13,500+ revs to do it? HARDLY 'streetable' [nono])
There are 300+ NA cars. But I'm talking boosted, you know just like the fiesta. Plus the B16b does 185hp NA almost identical to the FiST before overboost. But like i said, power under the curve and torque numbers have come a long was since the '90s

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Did some number crunching to get a better understanding of the difference in the 1.5 and 1.6 ST engines. I have worked in CI all my life, so this is for me and other old school car lovers. First let me say the HP ratings we are seeing to the best of my knowledge are EU ratings and as such lower than ours.

1.5L=90 CI =2.19HP per CI (@197HP) EU rating

1.5L=90 CI =2.33HP per CI (@210HP) Estimated US rating

1.6L=96 CI =2.05HP per CI (@197HP) US rating

1.6L=96 CI =1.87HP per CI (@180HP) EU rating

1.6L=96 CI = 2.24HP per CI (@215HP w/ MP215) US Rating

We lose 6 CI but gain about 13 HP over stock or about the same as the MP215 here. The new ST was targeted at the ST200 in the EU which was the Mountune 215 kit factory installed.

The EU claimed HP is 197 but does not factor in the "overboost" power used in the US. Power rating in the UE must be sustained power, not "timed overboost".

The 1.6L with overboost was rated the same 197 HP but in US ratings, so in truth the 1.5 engine will add about 13HP to the US rating and will be rated about 210 if they bring it in. Or the equivalent of the ST 200 in the EU and the Mountune MP215 here.

So lighter, higher HP and better mileage. It is not like getting the MP215 for free along with 3 Qt oil changes? Sounds like a win-win to me. Hope it happens as I bet it will be slightly faster and handle a little better stock. What if Mountune offers a MP230 for the 1.5L? Time will tell............

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That sounds like a challenge! And I guess since I've got private dirt roads, plus I live on a dead end mountain road with no cops.... I could drive it on the street [:p]

Now my only problem is getting an R5 haha.

You KNOW I meant registered and licensed for the public, paved, surface streets in Cali, and driven PAST your CHiPs, and local gendarmes on a regular basis. [wink]

But YES, there are many of us who would LOVE to be able to pilot an R5 around, despite the on/off clutch in first, deafening interior noise, and the clanging, banging Sadev (now back to X-Trac??) sequential. [driving] [raceflag]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Assume you are thinking of making 360whp.
Your now asking 3 pistons, 3 rods, and 3 crank journals to support 120hp per hole vs the same power on a 4 cylinder is only 90hp per hole. Think that doesn't figure into things?

Now.... if you your willing to spend more only on 3 rods and 3 pistons than most people spend on a set of 8 for a 1,000whp V8, then I guess you can still make power like the 4 cylinder. But.... it's not going to be easy like we have it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joesiris

https://youtu.be/Gwd4dLaqBEU

ok engine aside, its the look of it that kills me. I'm glad I didn't wait and I got a 16. I'm sure the engine will be fine, there will always be folks like mountune, dead hook, cobb, and whoosh that make and sell parts to get you to where you want to be. But when I saw this back in December my heart almost broke...no more st its a "st line" with no outward badge saying so...its on the door sill. The titanium and vignale are actually nice for "base" models, the active is a joke, but the st line, why? I hate the panorama sunroof, and the body styling does not have that aggressive look we get now, the wing is just leftovers from the vanilla fiestas of 14-17..not happy with the look at all. do like the new brakes though. now I know the vid I post is from the uk and the link at the beginning of this thread shows a "ST" badge fiesta that looks different from the uk release but they both just lack in the looks dept. I will say if you watch the whole video I post here the intro is awesome, getting to see history of the fiesta driving down the red carpet is pretty darn amazing...just some thoughts

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
How many 360 WHP cars do you think Ford cares about? Just their race cars and they really don't care about the $$ difference in building them. What I am saying is for the 99% that will not care about over 300 HP if we get the 1.5L it will make them happy. Will it make all happy? No, but I really do not believe the subject of getting 360 WHP ever came up in the design and marketing meeting do you? I understand your concerns but I am talking about marketing reality. My preference would to be give us the ST200 in the USA. All the MP215 bits and upgraded suspension and a lower final drive ratio. This way many of the aftermarket parts would still fit . Ford Performance needs to sell a 2.0L engine kit!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I seriously love to hear the logic and excuse behind this. Either it's a "let's remove the FIST so they have to upsell to get performance." excuse or a "those poor fools are going to be a liability against us." and Ford doesn't have the balls to stick it out there. You don't see Subaru doing this after 3 years of production to an STI/WRX now do you? The RS also seems to be falling short of numbers too right now. Yo Ford! Wake-up! Maybe you should listen to what the buyers want, and not what you project onto us as what you think we want and need.
Don't know why you think RS sale are not good, there is waiting list for RS's and the average selling price is $42K per article the past few days, it is way better than Ford projected. What the buyers want in the US is SUV's and Pick-up's NOT the ST, less than 5000 sold last year. The Fiesta is the best selling car in UK history and a top seller in the UE where both markets are demanding more fuel efficiency not HP. Ford does not concern itself with the very small market of ST "tuners" except to the extent of selling and warranting Mountune products worldwide. I feel sure Mountune will have kits for 220-230HP for the new engine in the rest of the world. What and if we get a New ST is still a mystery.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
How many 360 WHP cars do you think Ford cares about? Just their race cars and they really don't care about the $$ difference in building them. What I am saying is for the 99% that will not care about over 300 HP if we get the 1.5L it will make them happy. Will it make all happy? No, but I really do not believe the subject of getting 360 WHP ever came up in the design and marketing meeting do you? I understand your concerns but I am talking about marketing reality. My preference would to be give us the ST200 in the USA. All the MP215 bits and upgraded suspension and a lower final drive ratio. This way many of the aftermarket parts would still fit . Ford Performance needs to sell a 2.0L engine kit!
Ford doesn't care about ANY car with as much as upgraded valve stem caps. But the people who buy them and expect to make power like we have, will have a tough time.

Don't get me wrong.... like DHM and mountune and everyone else in the world, I'll be happy to sell people a turbo that takes their 170whp car to 230whp. But it's not going to be like the current car. With a little time, the aftermarket will be right there ( prob faster than it was with our car ). Just it's going to be harder is all I'm saying.

The singe one catch to all this ???? RPM. If they let this motor rev, then it could be a game changer. But good luck seeing it with a rev limit past 6200rpm...

Siestarider

The "proper authorities" obtained a clue as to how much fun the current model is. We are all guilty of leaking this news. I knew the gig was over when I read Fist might be the ultimate tuner car. Danger Danger Will Rodgers.

Our punishment is no more 4 cyl Fist's?

If true, Instant Classic sitting in driveway.

Seriously, what car in the history of cars has developed a cult following, owned the mountain top for 3 years among its type worldwide, and then been discontinued?

In my view going to 3 cyl is worse than Corvette 427 smog-smothered between 1967 and 1969, just using one model as example.

I agree 100%. Ford fucked up big time, sucks bcuz I was already looking forward to gettn a 2018 couple years down the road. But now, im goin to charish my 2017 Fiesta ST that jus hit 325miles( only 2 weeks old). The last year you can buy one of these legendary cars brand new!!! Gettn while theyre hott!! At the time this was a "downgrade" from my 16 Mustang EcoBoost.. I love this car 100x more then my old ecoboost. So this post is right, R.I.P Fiesta ST. And if you own a MK7 ST then jus be thankful!

joesiris

I posted earlier in this thread how I was disappointed in the overall look of the 2018...then I saw something that made me say "guess it could have been worse" cuz look what they did to the Mitsubishi "grand lancer" it is just awful. I had a 2003 oz rally lancer before my fist, fun car, had some work into it, and almost contemplated getting a new one till I saw the FiST, last year was not a good year for celebrities next year wont be good for cars

OP
C
Thread Starter #57
https://youtu.be/Gwd4dLaqBEU

ok engine aside, its the look of it that kills me. I'm glad I didn't wait and I got a 16. I'm sure the engine will be fine, there will always be folks like mountune, dead hook, cobb, and whoosh that make and sell parts to get you to where you want to be. But when I saw this back in December my heart almost broke...no more st its a "st line" with no outward badge saying so...its on the door sill. The titanium and vignale are actually nice for "base" models, the active is a joke, but the st line, why? I hate the panorama sunroof, and the body styling does not have that aggressive look we get now, the wing is just leftovers from the vanilla fiestas of 14-17..not happy with the look at all. do like the new brakes though. now I know the vid I post is from the uk and the link at the beginning of this thread shows a "ST" badge fiesta that looks different from the uk release but they both just lack in the looks dept. I will say if you watch the whole video I post here the intro is awesome, getting to see history of the fiesta driving down the red carpet is pretty darn amazing...just some thoughts
I agree... and I have a larger problem with the automotive industry in this country. Why the hell don't we have cars that look like Ferraris or Lambos going back to the 80s maybe with flip doors? How long did it take us to create a corvette that emulated the design of a Ferrari? I've been saying this for 30 years now. We had the most boring ass looking cars ever produced in the 80's-90's while Nissan was creating the last generation 300zx TT, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, Bugatti were making the most cool designs ever produced in automotive history. And finally in 2014 we finally get the C7 Vette? Seriously? This has always been a massive sore spot with me. I have never seen the excuse they used for not stepping up and over the line. I often thought how cool would it be to create a car manufacture that comes with 25-30 completely different shell designs but all internals pretty much the same. So you mass produce this at an affordable rate. I think it has more to do with US automotive manufacturer producing cars in different countries not wanting to step on the toes of other manufacturers and their legal patons. There is just no excuse for the greatest country on earth to not also build and design the most exotic cars. This topic has boggled my mind for decades now. So it's not just the Fiesta ST or any specific car, it's freekin America automotive industry. FYI... I would include Tesla in this list if anyone could actually afford one, but I'm talking about producing cars like the aforementioned list at an economical price tag. I think it has more to do with protecting the wealthy so they don't feel their 1/4 milion dollar cars don't look like the other side of town's $35k Ford Mustang. Again it's all about greed, wealth, and protecting the company profile and has nothing to do with giving US what we really want.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^We did/do have the Moslers, Saleens, Ultimas, Ford GT, etc., but yes, to your point, they are not all that much less coin than the Euro exotics, and in some cases are even made in lower production numbers. [:(]

I hope it does bump the resale value on our cars up.

I got my car apprised a few days ago by a few places, and I don't want to talk about it.