Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thank You Ford for destroying the Fiesta ST. RIP 2014-17

Automakers do not want their cars modified. This is a lighter motor, better gas mileage and less moving parts making the same power, its a win win for Ford.

I work for Mercedes and if you even put aftermarket rims on a car and have a vibration or something suspension related we will tell you to take it somewhere else.

Meh, I don't plan to get another Fiesta ST, as much as I like / love my car, at the end of the day it's just the cheapest car I can buy that has some fun factor, the next ford I will consider has to be a RS model or one of the upper echelon Mustang models (not sure if the GT350R would still be around when I am ready for one.. might be a different model name.).

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Automakers do not want their cars modified. This is a lighter motor, better gas mileage and less moving parts making the same power, its a win win for Ford.

I work for Mercedes and if you even put aftermarket rims on a car and have a vibration or something suspension related we will tell you to take it somewhere else.
Figured Mercedes would deny warranty on their cars if you put aftermarket air in the tires....

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I couldn't agree anymore! Everyone talks about a Fiesta RS. But its the Focus that needed the RS, not the Fiesta.

And we already.... kinda have a Fiesta RS, in the M-Sport Fiesta R5

^^^Let's see you even TRY to drive one of those on the street, ESPECIALLY IN CALI!!!!!!!!!!!!! [histerical]

I'm thinking the NA version of the 2018 FiST, assuming we get the ST will get the 1.5L turbo engine as all the Ecoboost smaller displacement engines including FiST 1.6L are made in England then shipped to Mexico Ford plant for final install. Being that Ford has the one Ford global model don't think they would offer a different engine than the EU market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^Let's see you even TRY to drive one of those on the street, ESPECIALLY IN CALI!!!!!!!!!!!!! [histerical]
That sounds like a challenge! And I guess since I've got private dirt roads, plus I live on a dead end mountain road with no cops.... I could drive it on the street [:p]

Now my only problem is getting an R5 haha.

And to keep on topic, it's kind of nice that the Fiesta ST is dying out. It's fitting. Don't they say that the stars which burn twice as bright, last half as long? Or something along that line.

Zissou

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2018-f...ylinder-ecoboost-with-same-power-as-the-four/

Looks like instead of using the excellent platform and moving this car forward in the performance platform by adding AWD and a larger displacement, they have decided to go the opposite way and castrate the engine removing one of the cylinders for 2018 going forward. And I'm sure all in the name of economy. Ford we don't care about economy or we would have bought a freekin Fiesta vanilla. This is a performance car. The ST version. So Ford says they are getting the same stock performance out of the 3 cylinder variant than the 1.6 liter 4 cylinder. That's great except one major problem. It will be near to impossible to pull 300hp+ out the new 3 cylinder version. At the end of the day, say what you want, but it will always be about displacement to a point. You can not make something from nothing. And we are already hitting the ceiling on the Fiesta ST 1.6. So some dumb a$$ at Ford decided it would be a great idea to neuter our beloved ST. I guess marketing will always rule and now they get to pull more $$ out of our pockets by removing the only option we had before forking out another $15k for the RS. Damn you guys! A huge mistake Ford. Accept now at least the value on our Fiesta STs will sky rocket in the future as limited numbers stand the course of time.

RIP Fiesta ST. 2014-17. Looks like I will be keeping mine indefinitely.
Did we read the same article? I would think this new engine would be lighter than the old one with the same amount of power. The best part of the Fiesta ST is the lightness. Adding more power and more weight via a bigger engine would just turn it into the Focus ST.

300+ hp will likely be achievable. Would any of us have believed we could be getting 300+ hp out of a 1.6L 4 pot if you asked us a decade or two ago? I have high hopes for technology.

Plus 3 cylinder engines (at least in motorcycles) sound pretty awesome with free flowing exhaust.

Not really trying to stir the pot (maybe just a little). But for all those saying almost 200 stock and 300+ modified out of a 1.6 is something special and new, ill just leave this here.

But that's all just numbers power under the curve and torque have come a long way.

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

When they discontinued the Ranger, I ended up selling mine for top $ inside of 12 hours after listing it online. Maybe the silver lining is our 1.6L engine versions will be worth more/depreciate less.

Honda people....is there a "throw up" emoji?

KKaWing

Think if it this way, if you do decide to build the engine... there's only 3 pistons, rods, rings... 3 sets of ports to polish etc etc... :p

this is the same thing that happened when the WRX jumped to a 2.5 in 2006 and then back down to a 2.0 with EL headers in 2012; Everyone freaked out. And guess what, both moves resulted in a better engine than the one before it.

Now the fact that the BRZ/FRS/86 is not a turbo is still the greatest mystery to me besides female reproductive organs.

OP
C
Thread Starter #33
Well... I'm sorry! Maybe it's the week, maybe I'm pissed for no apparent reason, or maybe I'm just giving the proverbial middle finger back to corporate Ford. Because at the end of the day I could care less what they want to produce for their bottom line figures and charts. I could give a damn. Hell, I don't want a 300hp FIST. What I really want is something that rivals my 98zx9, my 02 gsxr750, my 03 Fireblade. I want Ken Block's car. I want an aftermarket Miata, WRX, STI, GTR killer and I want to get those 1/4 mile times down to 10/11 seconds with a revamped gear box that will kill a M5 0-60. Yes! The car doesn't exist I'm aware, but for crying out loud get it together Ford or someone else. And I will complain for the next 20 years until one is created. A light weight 2,700lb sleeper. Ford make it or I will find someone else that does sooner or later.

OP
C
Thread Starter #34
this is the same thing that happened when the WRX jumped to a 2.5 in 2006 and then back down to a 2.0 with EL headers in 2012; Everyone freaked out. And guess what, both moves resulted in a better engine than the one before it.

Now the fact that the BRZ/FRS/86 is not a turbo is still the greatest mystery to me besides female reproductive organs.
According to the AWD crowd, the post 2012 WRX is not even close since they made all those changes starting around 03/04. The earlier WRXs were far superior to the much more modern ones in the last decade.

According to the AWD crowd, the post 2012 WRX is not even close since they made all those changes starting around 03/04. The earlier WRXs were far superior to the much more modern ones in the last decade.
I had heavily modified 2007 WRX from 07-09 that I loved. I did test drive the 2016 before I decided on the FiST. One thing I did notice, and this was true for the 02-07 at least, is that when you were just going 3/10ths the car was fun. the 2016 was only fun at 9/10ths. thats why I ended up in the FiST; it was fun before you pressed the ignition. But I dont think that has as much to do with the motor changes as much as does with NVH and Subaru trying to get their infotainment and interiors on par with the GTI and other cars at the same price point.

Well... I'm sorry! Maybe it's the week, maybe I'm pissed for no apparent reason, or maybe I'm just giving the proverbial middle finger back to corporate Ford. Because at the end of the day I could care less what they want to produce for their bottom line figures and charts. I could give a damn. Hell, I don't want a 300hp FIST. What I really want is something that rivals my 98zx9, my 02 gsxr750, my 03 Fireblade. I want Ken Block's car. I want an aftermarket Miata, WRX, STI, GTR killer and I want to get those 1/4 mile times down to 10/11 seconds with a revamped gear box that will kill a M5 0-60. Yes! The car doesn't exist I'm aware, but for crying out loud get it together Ford or someone else. And I will complain for the next 20 years until one is created. A light weight 2,700lb sleeper. Ford make it or I will find someone else that does sooner or later.
I think you need a Smart Car with a GXR Motor.
Or do what my dad did and get a Alfa 4C, strip it and add 95 whp and 165 wtq. 2292 lbs wet

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
How much money you got? Because you could buy an Ariel Atom.

You're ranting for the sake of ranting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thread Starter #38
Did we read the same article? I would think this new engine would be lighter than the old one with the same amount of power. The best part of the Fiesta ST is the lightness. Adding more power and more weight via a bigger engine would just turn it into the Focus ST.

300+ hp will likely be achievable. Would any of us have believed we could be getting 300+ hp out of a 1.6L 4 pot if you asked us a decade or two ago? I have high hopes for technology.

Plus 3 cylinder engines (at least in motorcycles) sound pretty awesome with free flowing exhaust.
When I look at maximizing hp to weight in a car engines, I look at the epitome of power to weight ratios at an affordable price tag. Of course I'm talking about sport bike engines. How many years have they been producing 200hp engines weighing only 200lbs at roughly $5k? And they always get max results from inline 4 design. So when I see 3 cylinder new crap coming out I see nothing but new innovative ways to save the company $. It has nothing to do with pleasing the customer base.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
is it me or is there more displacement per cylinder in the 3 cylinder 1.5 vs the 4 in the 1.6. Just an observation....