Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thank You Ford for destroying the Fiesta ST. RIP 2014-17

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2018-f...ylinder-ecoboost-with-same-power-as-the-four/

Looks like instead of using the excellent platform and moving this car forward in the performance platform by adding AWD and a larger displacement, they have decided to go the opposite way and castrate the engine removing one of the cylinders for 2018 going forward. And I'm sure all in the name of economy. Ford we don't care about economy or we would have bought a freekin Fiesta vanilla. This is a performance car. The ST version. So Ford says they are getting the same stock performance out of the 3 cylinder variant than the 1.6 liter 4 cylinder. That's great except one major problem. It will be near to impossible to pull 300hp+ out the new 3 cylinder version. At the end of the day, say what you want, but it will always be about displacement to a point. You can not make something from nothing. And we are already hitting the ceiling on the Fiesta ST 1.6. So some dumb a$$ at Ford decided it would be a great idea to neuter our beloved ST. I guess marketing will always rule and now they get to pull more $$ out of our pockets by removing the only option we had before forking out another $15k for the RS. Damn you guys! A huge mistake Ford. Accept now at least the value on our Fiesta STs will sky rocket in the future as limited numbers stand the course of time.

RIP Fiesta ST. 2014-17. Looks like I will be keeping mine indefinitely.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I agree with all that....
Imagine.... owning a SRT4 neon and the SRT4 caliber comes out. Same feeling lol. ( the caliber turned out to be pretty fast actually ).

At least we didn't get shafted like the cobalt SS guys. Imagine you buy a nice new $26k supercharged cobalt SS, then 3 months later Chevy drops the turbo version that is Zillion times better lol. The supercharged versions resale was multiplied by 0.5 over night lol.

We now have the "big block" fiesta ST lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
I seriously love to hear the logic and excuse behind this. Either it's a "let's remove the FIST so they have to upsell to get performance." excuse or a "those poor fools are going to be a liability against us." and Ford doesn't have the balls to stick it out there. You don't see Subaru doing this after 3 years of production to an STI/WRX now do you? The RS also seems to be falling short of numbers too right now. Yo Ford! Wake-up! Maybe you should listen to what the buyers want, and not what you project onto us as what you think we want and need.

I'm putting my hopes into the American market. I love my ST! I plan on keeping it for a very long time anyways.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
To be fair, very few people care about making the FiST 300hp, that's not really its intended market.

That being said, the thing looks bland, and I prefer the current gen's styling.
I understand that and my car doesn't even make that YET. However, we do own one of the best tuner cars ever made. And we need to accept that this was a terrible step backwards. We should be reaching forward and not falling back. I have no idea what was in the heads of corporate Ford.

My hope is that Ford is moving the Fiesta ST down a bit to make room for a Fiesta RS. Kinda makes sense, they said there will only be one RS model at a time and the Focus is due for a major overhaul. The platform has been refreshed with an AWD option. The Fiesta is one of the heaviest hitters in sales overseas. And last, they wouldn't spend all that money redeveloping the AWD system in the FoRS if they didn't plan to use it more than once.

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Nissan has a 1.5L producing 400HP....so getting 350 is possible from the Ford, what you will not get is 350 Ft Lbs. of torque with a 1.5L engine.

I agree with the previous post that very few people will modify their Fiesta past stock or a few will do a Mountune or stage one tune. But not many will be on the road for over 300HP Ford could care less about drag/street racing in a Fiesta. Ford rallies the Fiesta not drag races.......that is what sells in Europe, the real market for the ST's. Our 5000 Fiesta ST's a year will not make ford concern themselves with 2-300 owners that desire to create massive power in the ST. In my opinion I will be surprised if we get a 2018 ST period unless it is with the current engine with the MP215 standard.

There is definitely that part of me that wants to see the fiesta st live on and get better, mostly just out of curiosity but i think more so I don't want anymore. Mainly because I don't want to wish I had the newer, better version. I'm already pissed I have the "ms dos" version infotainment. Also like previously mentioned there's the value and rarity aspect I hope these will achieve. So do what you want Ford, I've got the FiST I wanted and it has 4 cylinders.

I agree with all that....
Imagine.... owning a SRT4 neon and the SRT4 caliber comes out. Same feeling lol. ( the caliber turned out to be pretty fast actually ).

At least we didn't get shafted like the cobalt SS guys. Imagine you buy a nice new $26k supercharged cobalt SS, then 3 months later Chevy drops the turbo version that is Zillion times better lol. The supercharged versions resale was multiplied by 0.5 over night lol.

We now have the "big block" fiesta ST lol

Hahaha all true

Also, a bit of an unpopular viewpoint but certainly not a false one. Aftermarket performance products do not make Ford any (apparent) profit. So selling the 1.6l ecoboost with the proverbial 'power left on the table' was one way of Ford shortchanging itself by lending business to the aftermarket for, what I would argue to be, all in the name of building a reputation and growing its fan base. Which it succeeded in doing over the last couple years. Now that the marketing mission has been accomplished Ford can finally pull back the power overhead it once had in the 1.6 with the new and more power capped 1.5, presumably for now, all in the name of keeping more of its customer's total spending in house.

Figuratively speaking its pretty much like the ford portfolio managers answering back to the aftermarket with a professional middle finger:

And why not, the engineers that put so many hours developing the Fiesta under the preconceived notion of selling it for little profit that the executives are now finally putting their foot down and beginning to ask for a more profitable future.

Those that wanted a four cylinder Fiesta got it. Those that want a similar experience and more modern looks can get it now too. The more options there are the better it is, RIGHT?

+1 for the MK7.5 Fiesta ST. One content owner, out.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
There is definitely that part of me that wants to see the fiesta st live on and get better, mostly just out of curiosity but i think more so I don't want anymore. Mainly because I don't want to wish I had the newer, better version. I'm already pissed I have the "ms dos" version infotainment. Also like previously mentioned there's the value and rarity aspect I hope these will achieve. So do what you want Ford, I've got the FiST I wanted and it has 4 cylinders.

To me that is the point.....when the FiST came out I drove one and fell in love. It was 2016 when I could afford one the way I wanted, it with the MP215 and an OCC. I have mine the way I want it until I can upgrade the exhaust. Then I am done, I have my current and future dream car. If the 2018 is a dead issue it will not directly affect me, so whatever business decision Ford makes is OK with me!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Also, a bit of an unpopular viewpoint but certainly not a false one. Aftermarket performance products do not make Ford any (apparent) profit. So selling the 1.6l ecoboost with the proverbial 'power left on the table' was one way of Ford shortchanging itself by lending business to the aftermarket for, what I would argue to be, all in the name of building a reputation and growing its fan base. Which it succeeded in doing over the last couple years. Now that the marketing mission has been accomplished Ford can finally pull back the power overhead it once had in the 1.6 with the new and more power capped 1.5, presumably for now, all in the name of keeping more of its customer's total spending in house.

Figuratively speaking its pretty much like the ford portfolio managers answering back to the aftermarket with a professional middle finger:

And why not, the engineers that put so many hours developing the Fiesta under the premise it will be sold for so little profit that the executives in charge are now finally putting their foot down and beginning to ask for a more profitable future.

Those that wanted a four cylinder Fiesta got it. Those that want a similar experience and more modern looks can get it now too. The more options there are the better it is, RIGHT?

+1 for the MK7.5 Fiesta ST. One content owner, out.

It will be hard to ask for a "more profitable future" when in 2014 the Fiesta became the most popular car sold in UK history, not the Mini or Bug...the Fiesta! You forget the US market for the Fiesta is a tiny percentage of the world market. The rest of the world wants more fuel efficient engines not 300 horsepower except for the rally versions and wanna be ST models. Face it the ST's were the first real global cars from Ford. The Fiesta St has dominated the Hot compact hatch market for 4 straight years now with no real price/performance competition. Ford has made a fortune on the Fiesta.....just not in the US market.

Well if you don't like the next gen Fiesta ST, you are in luck since it probably won't be released in the US due to poor sales of the current model.

I disagree. The Fiesta is great because it turned handled and could stop on a dime. You hurt all that by adding what op wants, weight. Awd adds weight, bigger power adds weight...

Yes you can add weight and get a great car look at the m4(too heavy, even though that just lost weight), GT350R, huracan, 488, etc yet all those cost way more money some ten times plus...

Add power, performance, braking, handling and take weight off at least don't add weight.

I couldn't agree anymore! Everyone talks about a Fiesta RS. But its the Focus that needed the RS, not the Fiesta.

And we already.... kinda have a Fiesta RS, in the M-Sport Fiesta R5

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I thought the same way. But after some light conversations, I realized I was feeding off of other people's thoughts.

It's an engine. It's only dropped 100cc. It's still going to move air in and out using fuel. Fuel and air equal horsepower. It can make 300whp, probably even 400whp. It's not like it's the 1.0L. The only issue will be if they decide to go the head/fold route, which still won't be a huge issue.

There's nothing to freak out about.

I'm surprised people are so aggressive towards the new engine. I mean, just a few years ago, who would have thought that a small 1.6L engine would have made 200HP stock? Much less 300 and more even with modifications. Let's give that 1.5L 3Cyl a chance. I'm curious as to what will be possible with that engine.

And whatever everyone is saying that the Fiesta RS will never happen, but I like Noodles's idea: MAYBE they "limit" the power of the new FiST to make room to a more powerful Fiesta... Like an RS!? Maybe they finally realized that the Focus is a shit car compared to the marvel that is the Fiesta and finally giving it its amazing flagship, an RS!

Again, let's not forget that the freaking 1.0L 3Cyl is used in motorsports, so a 1.5L should be more interesting, no?