Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thinking about buying an ST worried about gas mileage

I've hyper-miled 70-ish miles with a reading of 43mpg, but that was being hyper vigilant and boring as hell. Driving how I want to drive, 75 mph highway and 35 City, I get around 29 mpg per tank.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think a careful driver could attain around 33 mpg highway if he swapped out the stock 17 inch wheels and sticky, wide O.E. tires for some more mpg friendly 15 inch wheels and low rolling resistance type tires. I would swap rolling stock and keep the extra crap out of the car before adopting a hypermile driving style. The Fiesta ST hates being short shifted and or lugged. It just doesn't seem right to drive it like that.

GAbOS

I average 30 at around 5000ft elevation cruising at 80 on 91 craptane

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I get 26.2 mpg but I mostly do all city anyways. If you really want to save money why don't you consider a the 1.0 ecoboost. Its cheaper than the ST and gets a lot more MPG. It's still possible to mod it and have fun with it. People do rally the base ones.

If I didn't have my ST I would get the 1.0, there's intakes, short shift kits, suspension, and can even add a the turbo transformer.
Pumaspeed has has even mentioned they hybrid turbos for the 1.0

Reset my Average MPG (it read 24.7) when I bought my used 2015. I was ~30 or so in the colder weather here in NW Ohio, now its at 32.4 MPG. I do lots of highway. 28 (one way) mile commute daily. I usually drive with traffic, in the middle lane. Occasionally (one per day or so) I have fun with it, hit it hard through a few gears, and some cornering.

Waterfan

I've hyper-miled 70-ish miles with a reading of 43mpg, but that was being hyper vigilant and boring as hell. Driving how I want to drive, 75 mph highway and 35 City, I get around 29 mpg per tank.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This is basically me as well. 60/30/10, hwy/city/canyon - overall average = 29.9 mpg (on crappy CA 91 fuel).

I have been averaging about 28.5 MPG in the city pretty easily, shifting at about 3K, with occasional fast take offs at the light. Oh and this is on 91 octane. I honestly really haven't been trying that hard to squeeze every mpg I can.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I get 26.2 mpg but I mostly do all city anyways. If you really want to save money why don't you consider a the 1.0 ecoboost. Its cheaper than the ST and gets a lot more MPG. It's still possible to mod it and have fun with it. People do rally the base ones.

If I didn't have my ST I would get the 1.0, there's intakes, short shift kits, suspension, and can even add a the turbo transformer.
Pumaspeed has has even mentioned they hybrid turbos for the 1.0
+1 [thumb]

IF the FiST did not exist, I would be driving a 1.0 Fiesta EcoBoost right now. ;)

Waterfan

+1 [thumb]

IF the FiST did not exist, I would be driving a 1.0 Fiesta EcoBoost right now. ;)
And because the FiST does exist, one can get used OEM FiST springs and shocks for dirt cheap from the For Sale forum section which is arguably a significant contributor to the FiST's "FiSTiness". (used OEM 17" wheels/tires dirt cheap too, but I recommend lightweight 16x7-8" or 15x7-8")

J2FoRS

Dont do it. Great platform. But only if youre in it for the long hall. Worth nothing 3 years in. And if you want gas mileage theres way better options. These are good, but not great. [driving][dunno]

or even a used gen3 prius from 2009-2015. They can do 40-50mpg easy, relatively cheap and reliable. Who beats up on a Prius???

If you're really concerned about fuel mileage the 2016+ Prius is king. Mine gets mid 50s easy on the cheapest available.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
or even a used gen3 prius from 2009-2015. They can do 40-50mpg easy, relatively cheap and reliable. Who beats up on a Prius???
Few would hoon around in them, but I am sure there are MANY who do not maintain them properly or outright neglect them, being the point A to B 'appliances' they are viewed as by most.

My fiesta gets better mileage than my wife's 2016 Mazda 3 S. the 3 isn't too bad with the bigger motor but it's more of a comfort cruiser really, they've lost a lot of the sportiness Mazdas used to have.

My sister has a '16 Mazda 3 with the 2.0 and says it does about 30 on 50/50 mixed driving but is an absolute dog, especially with an auto.

GAbOS

Don't know about where you live but here they they beat me to the speed limit off of lights. Another thing to consider is battery maintenance for older cars.

I normally get 40mpg but I also cruise at 45-55 regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased mine in December new. Here is what I have experienced:
I live in Florida so lots of straight highways. I put a Ford Performance catback exhaust and K&N filter as the only mods. I put 93 octane. I drive to work round trip every day 72 miles (ALL Highway) 5 days a week. I fill it with $30.00. I like to haul ass, so I am always doing about 80 to 90 MPH on the highway. I also like to every once in a while give it a hard step on the gas in the city. I have averaged between 26 to 28 MPG and gotten about 280 miles for the tank. If I drive it conservatively: 70-80 MPH and do not step on it, I can get 32 MPG and I can get close to 320 to almost 330 miles. I drive sometimes to pick my daughter 4 hours away. That is a 330 miles drive. I get there in one tank and maybe have about 30 to 40 miles in gas. All these numbers are from memory and best guesses. Hope it helps.

Last edited: