Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thinking about buying an ST worried about gas mileage

JasonHaven

I live and work in DC, ie traffic central. Using my OBD reader (Automatic) over 13k miles (I had it uninstalled for 7k miles because I forgot for a long time haha), I have averaged 30.4mpg.

On highway trips I regularly get 35-40mpg depending on speed.

I drive mine everyday to and from work, I avoid the highway because I feel like I'm in Mad Max Fury Road when I'm driving on it. If you drive normally (speed limit), you can easily get 34-36 mpg.

I wanted to see how well I could do. I had lots of driving this past weekend. I reset AVG MPG and drove nice and slow, avoiding using the brakes and following Trucks. 2 normal commutes (27 miles one way) to downtown, a road trip (150 miles) and one running around town + commute (~60 miles) and I am sitting at 39.8 mpg. A few times I did get into it, you know. Turbo is fun!

Zissou

I drive mine everyday to and from work, I avoid the highway because I feel like I'm in Mad Max Fury Road when I'm driving on it. If you drive normally (speed limit), you can easily get 34-36 mpg.
Haha same. Bouncing all over the place but darting around like a mad man

If fuel economy is a priority above all else there are many other cars that would get the job done at lower cost per mile.

My new addition + toys

If you're really concerned about fuel mileage the 2016+ Prius is king. Mine gets mid 50s easy on the cheapest available.
Fordza just got my 18 ST magnetic +molten orange Recaros. Mileage was higher than I expected, 100 miles with 50/50 mix backroads/hiway. 37.6mpg with 5W30 Penzzoil syn. Only 225 miles, just breaking in. Mega mods waiting probably in the spring, Very nice right out of the factory. Also like your toyz !!
My virtual barn includes:

18 ST-Full intake/exhaust TC upgrades waiting
15 Durango RT-CAI nothing else
04 Merc Marauder everything in it except a blower-chase/pass 7 series BMW's all day long.
88 Mustang GT convert-Paxton blower and all the goodies to support it, JBA headers, GT40 heads roller rockers etc....
04 SVT Focus all the handling and tuning goodies-On way to bone yard after a beatch turned into me. [sad][?|]
98.5 SVT Contour-LOW miles. So. Cal. car. Was a Vortec SC project car- Vortec SC, Borla, Quafie, 18 inch rims Koni yellows, goodies all the way down the line.
12 Guzzi 1200SE pipe and tune-My favorite bike !
03 Busa slipons, speed delete-thats all she needs. Sold Buyer coming to take it home.
87 FJ1200
83 KZ750-Headers, piggy back shocks, fork brace, gold valve emulator, progressive springs. Really nice for an old fart.
89 FZR 400 track bike-fully race modded, safety wired, ready for VIR-May sell (bones getting brittle).
94 GTS 1000-remember those, my brother has one to
78 SR500-tweaked motor. Full race motor in a crate.
78 Ducati 900GTS-old bevel drive, springer head NOT desmo
87 FZR 1000-sold
83 900 Seca shafty-was serial # 1 !!! sold to pay for family room redo.

Other-boats, outboards, mega stereo/home theater stuff, SS, tubes, speakers. Will be reducing inventory this year. Take care Stan

LILIKE16ST

if mpg is the only concern there are cars that will get better sure but if you want a cool car that gets pretty good MPG and is extremely fun to drive and very practical this is an awesome car to get stock or modded. I am now full bolt on and just installed an x37 Turbo I'm to start the tuning process with Ryan at P D tuning anytime now and I suspect my MPGs won't change very much from where it was before I was averaging around 30 on a 93 octane tune in about 27 to 28 on a e30 tune from stratified on the stock Turbo I think that's pretty good for what it is in the performance at offers and honestly unless you are driving very little I find it hard to believe you only save 20 bucks a month over the Escape if it's only getting 17 miles per gallon average. You should be saving more than that like I said unless you are driving very little

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I average about 23~24MPG. Full bolt on, pro tune, and I have a VERY heavy right foot. My partner and I drove his FiST from Florida to Utah and back. We averaged about 36MPG on the highway. My MPG shit the bed when I put the catless downpipe in, I'm not sure if its because I did not revise the tune for it, or for another reason. Anyway I didn't necessarily buy the car for the MPGs (Well maybe when it was stock) but now its just about having fun.

I have seen posts like this on all the car forums. the short answer is it depends mostly on how you drive although some vehicles are more guzzlers than others. You can also typically get better MPG with a manual than an automatic if you drive it right although it might be a little boring. I have been able to get very good gas mileage with most turbo cars, 3 out of 4. 2016 WRX- I got a high of 40 MPG on a trip once, unbelievable and averaged over 34. 2011 MazdaSpeed 3 I got 30-33, my FIST I do really good too- I average 39.1 on mostly back roads going 45-55 with a few stops- and on 89 octane, not 93. My 2012 Nissan Juke was a CVT, (not manual trans) and did horrible- only 26 on the highway.