Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Should I go with a catted or catless DP?

I know this subject has been covered before, but that was 3 years ago. Now that the FiST has been out a lot longer and there are several options out there, I want to bring it back up. I'm trying to decide if I want to get a catted or catless DP. I currently have the Cobb Stage 1 tune (stage 3 to be soon after DP and intercooler) and a MBRP Cat-Back exhaust.

I know that there is a slight increase in power with catless, but there is also the emissions test issues and some people say it has a bad smell. Since my car is brand new, I won't have to worry about getting an E-Check until 2021. I know there are also ways to get around it.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards the catless and another bonus is it's $100 cheaper (going with DEPO regardless of which route I go)

Any thoughts/comments?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
It sounds like you have hit all the pluses and minuses, so it would just come down to personal choice. For me, my wife and I cannot stand the smell of catless. Not all catted are equal either. Look at Mountune vs Cobb. Mountune has a huge diameter cat which should restrict less than just about all the other catted I have seen. I dunno how close to catless in performance it would be.

Edit: spelling

If you don't care about emissions or the smell then go with catless. Personally I am going to go with a catted version because it's my daily driver and I'd rather keep away as much exhaust smell as possible.

OP
mcummings182
Thread Starter #5
How bad is the smell? Because some of my friends have told me there is no smell, but it seems like everyone on this forum says it stinks lol.

V_2

There isn't much odor with catless compared to other cars I've been around, but there certainly is a smell. It's less pungent with more E in your tank.

I have a cat less dp like all others have said there is a smell at lights but not bad. I went with the cat less because it cost less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
If the car is to be used on the street the only real questions are do you have morals or inspections? Thankfully my area takes the former out of the equation for those who think saving $100 is worth breaking the law, we inspect. Just buy a high flow cat.....as Spike said "Do the Right Thing". I don't believe anyone out there does not know it is illegal in all 50 states to remove the cat.

I'm sure you knew somebody was going to take this position.[bash]

If the car is to be used on the street the only real questions are do you have morals or inspections? Thankfully my area takes the former out of the equation for those who think saving $100 is worth breaking the law, we inspect. Just buy a high flow cat.....as Spike said "Do the Right Thing". I don't believe anyone out there does not know it is illegal in all 50 states to remove the cat.

I'm sure you knew somebody was going to take this position.[bash]
Vehicles now a days run so efficiently I'm not even sure how this statement can be made in which it should be a deterrent to run catless. I get it, but no. Now if this was a topic about rolling coal, then I would be more on board for a "moral" discussion lol. It would take 20 little FiST's to compare to the guy with a 509 Merlin straight piped shoe box to equal anything close, are you brave enough to stand outside a car show holding a sign "kill all carbs"?

It's 2017. Here in Northern Virginia they have roadside emissions testers and it's only gonna be a minute or two until they have them hooked up to cameras and just mail you the warrant. Welcome to the surveillance age: CAT is where it's at.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Vehicles now a days run so efficiently I'm not even sure how this statement can be made in which it should be a deterrent to run catless. I get it, but no. Now if this was a topic about rolling coal, then I would be more on board for a "moral" discussion lol. It would take 20 little FiST's to compare to the guy with a 509 Merlin straight piped shoe box to equal anything close, are you brave enough to stand outside a car show holding a sign "kill all carbs"?
Sure if they break the Federal law.......my son makes a good living building GM LS engines that are legal. Show car....who cares! It is your decision, not mine. Is it not OK for me to disagree with breaking the law?

Sure if they break the Federal law.......my son makes a good living building GM LS engines that are legal. Show car....who cares! It is your decision, not mine. Is it not OK for me to disagree with breaking the law?
Totally, but I'm trying to get you beyond the point of black and white and open your mind to the statement you made. To say that breaking federal law is your standing argument. You are correct if you believe that and hold true to those values but that should also make you the type of person who gets anxiety when going 3 mph over the speed limit. Just because it is a law doesn't mean it actually has value and this is a good instance when talking about the effect of a CAT delete on a FiST. Far worse things can be done and I want you to see that. No one should feel bad about polluting the environment if they run catless, breaking the law I can see but refer back to my speeding argument.

Federal law is one thing also, and I'm helping your argument here a bit as well as mine. State by state is what you need to focus on, and places like where I live the law is stated "no modified exhaust allowed". Cat or catless that law is being broken, hell the way it is written even chrome tips would land you a ticket oh and it's a surcharge able offense. How would you feel about this? Would you abide the same way?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Totally, but I'm trying to get you beyond the point of black and white and open your mind to the statement you made. To say that breaking federal law is your standing argument. You are correct if you believe that and hold true to those values but that should also make you the type of person who gets anxiety when going 3 mph over the speed limit. Just because it is a law doesn't mean it actually has value and this is a good instance when talking about the effect of a CAT delete on a FiST. Far worse things can be done and I want you to see that. No one should feel bad about polluting the environment if they run catless, breaking the law I can see but refer back to my speeding argument.

Federal law is one thing also, and I'm helping your argument here a bit as well as mine. State by state is what you need to focus on, and places like where I live the law is stated "no modified exhaust allowed". Cat or catless that law is being broken, hell the way it is written even chrome tips would land you a ticket oh and it's a surcharge able offense. How would you feel about this? Would you abide the same way?

I would move if the state is that backwards. So as long as something is "worse" doing less is OK? So I can beat someone to within an inch of his life and that is OK because I could have killed him? So everyone can take their cats off and that is OK with you. I have no problem if you want to break the law, but don't try to justify it

CATLESS ALL THE WAY! So much added torque in the butt dyno.

The only minus is that you can't run track days with 90dB sound limits. I pass at 103dB limit events. 2J catless + Cobb catback.

I say catless as well I have a MBRP 3nch and Catless DP and love it ! Sure it smells but nothing to crazy.
I also live in Cali Los angles where emission laws are horrible here lol

Pete

I would move if the state is that backwards. So as long as something is "worse" doing less is OK? So I can beat someone to within an inch of his life and that is OK because I could have killed him? So everyone can take their cats off and that is OK with you. I have no problem if you want to break the law, but don't try to justify it
I live in California probably one of the strictest states for emissions. I do run the oem cat on my fiesta because there are frequent smog stops in the area. Not to mention a police officer can check under your hood for anything out the ordinary and make you go to a state ref. This is why I have done everything I can to make my mods as oem looking as possible for the fiesta. hybrid turbo, modified oem cat, etc... However I do daily in my 1964 Ford Mercury Comet that has no cats at all. No one bugs me in the that car nor cares because the car is emission exempt. Both cars fall within the "legal guidelines" of Californias laws. Reason from the quotes around legal guidelines is because I use a mountune carb sticker on my CPE intake so I do not get in trouble.