Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

$250 to enable the reverse camera

AzNightmare

Did you use license plate camera or drill a hole by license plate lights and install an OEM look camera? Looked like license plate camera would block trunk release. My mirror can control a second video output, so I may mount it up front. How did you route wires?

Even oem cameras get the water blockage sometimes. Seen people either use RainX on lens or make a small shield above camera to shield it from moisture...
I used this:

It replaces one of the license plate light casing. Put the oem light bulb inside and the camera is attached to the casing.
No drilling required.

Wires to the fuse box were run down the A pillar. Video cable was run along the ceiling to the back, through the lift gate rubber hoses (PITA, I ended up cutting the plug and rejoining the plug after feeding the wires through. I pulled off the plastic trim panels in the hatch door, and took off that plastic piece that's above the plate (the piece that holds the 2 plate lights).

I'm not sure how detailed you need me to get or how much experience you have in this stuff so I'll stop for now. lol
Before I started, I wanted to write a guide but I didn't know if there was really a demand for this (since I'm sure more people are interested in getting a back up camera to work on their infotainment instead) and I also never installed something like this before, so I didn't bother in case I didn't do it right. But in the end, looks like I got it to work fine. [thumb] Let me know if you have any more questions.

I'm planning to cut a small piece of plastic and 3M-ing it to make a shield since the camera can't see anything once rain drops are on it.

Where did you find the backup camera in the license plate part? Does it fit in the OEM light hole and it will still illuminate plate? It sounds like you did the wiring the way I was looking to do it. It looks like getting the wiring thru the hatch metal up to the lift gate hoses will be a challenge. I am guessing you went thru the drivers side hose since it is slightly larger. I have already hard wired my Valentine one under glove box fuse panel. do you remember which tail light you tapped for the reverse and ground wires and which color was which? Thx again for all your assistance.

This is the camera I purchased to tap into the rear panel next to the license plate lights. When i pulled off the plastic piece above the license plate, it looked like there would be plenty of room. But I may try your camera solution instead if you will share your purchase info...

AzNightmare

Where did you find the backup camera in the license plate part? Does it fit in the OEM light hole and it will still illuminate plate? It sounds like you did the wiring the way I was looking to do it. It looks like getting the wiring thru the hatch metal up to the lift gate hoses will be a challenge. I am guessing you went thru the drivers side hose since it is slightly larger. I have already hard wired my Valentine one under glove box fuse panel. do you remember which tail light you tapped for the reverse and ground wires and which color was which? Thx again for all your assistance.

This is the camera I purchased to tap into the rear panel next to the license plate lights. When i pulled off the plastic piece above the license plate, it looked like there would be plenty of room. But I may try your camera solution instead if you will share your purchase info...
Yes, the plastic "case" is clear and has a hole in it just like oem one to fit a bulb in to retain illumination for the plate.
I bought mine on eBay. But I've seen them sold on Amazon as well, or other sites like Aliexpress. Just search "Fiesta backup camera" and you'll find many different variations. The only problem is that all of them seem to be from China so I'm not sure how long delivery time will be. Maybe not worth waiting around for...

I went through the driver side hose. The passenger side seems to be nearly impossible to squeeze anything through.
I tapped into the passenger side reverse lights. I believe white wire for + and black for -. If you pull out the taillight unit, you can confirm the colors.
I pulled back a bit of the trunk liner to access the harness connector and tapped into that instead of the actual wires from the reverse light, because the actual reverse light wires are exposed to moisture.

Yes, the plastic "case" is clear and has a hole in it just like oem one to fit a bulb in to retain illumination for the plate.
I bought mine on eBay. But I've seen them sold on Amazon as well, or other sites like Aliexpress. Just search "Fiesta backup camera" and you'll find many different variations. The only problem is that all of them seem to be from China so I'm not sure how long delivery time will be. Maybe not worth waiting around for...

I went through the driver side hose. The passenger side seems to be nearly impossible to squeeze anything through.
I tapped into the passenger side reverse lights. I believe white wire for + and black for -. If you pull out the taillight unit, you can confirm the colors.
I pulled back a bit of the trunk liner to access the harness connector and tapped into that instead of the actual wires from the reverse light, because the actual reverse light wires are exposed to moisture.
Thx so much. I will wait until the Ebay camera arrives before I start my install. Your posts are very encouraging[:D]

Can confirm this works on 2016+, do the Forscan part, plug into port 14/15 on the harness and you are good to go. I need to order the proper female connectors (The ones I have don't fit the connector properly) and going to grab a female RCA jack. Would anyone be interested in a small "harness" that's basically a female rca connector with the appropriate female connectors that all you'd have to do is plug into the existing connector on the back of the screen for something like $10 shipped?

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Can confirm this works on 2016+, do the Forscan part, plug into port 14/15 on the harness and you are good to go. I need to order the proper female connectors (The ones I have don't fit the connector properly) and going to grab a female RCA jack. Would anyone be interested in a small "harness" that's basically a female rca connector with the appropriate female connectors that all you'd have to do is plug into the existing connector on the back of the screen for something like $10 shipped?
Do you have a link or picture for the pins?

Do you have a link or picture for the pins?
Nope :/ thought they were the ones someone posted a few posts back, but not really sure. Ended up finding some in my parts bin that work, also scrapped the idea of making the mini harness, I need to cut the RCA end off mine to make it easier to run through the car as it and without knowing if I really am getting the proper pins, don't really want to buy and wait to have them be wrong ones and delay my setup anymore

So has it been confirmed that ForScan works on 16+ to unlock the back up camera feature? I'm following two different post and both are confusing me at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So has it been confirmed that ForScan works on 16+ to unlock the back up camera feature? I'm following two different post and both are confusing me at this point.

Confirmed by Me, have a 2016, enabled in Forscan just like Sync 2, wire it in just like the previous models and it works! Need to order the pins to continue the actual install but I was able to make two work to confirm it does indeed work

Confirmed by Me, have a 2016, enabled in Forscan just like Sync 2, wire it in just like the previous models and it works! Need to order the pins to continue the actual install but I was able to make two work to confirm it does indeed work
That's awesome!! Any chance you're documenting the process for a DIY?

That's awesome!! Any chance you're documenting the process for a DIY?

Hadn't really planned on it, it's the same process/steps as either listed in this posting or the otherone about the backup camera, honestly the hardest part is getting pictures as I either forget or can't get good pics from the positions on what not, I guess I will try to throw what I can together as I go, ended up ordering the pins last night, hopefully they won't take too long to ship

Is there any issue wiring camera power to an ignition switched source vs the reverse light harness? I ordered a generic cam but it looks like the power wire runs all the way through the harness and exits with the rca connector.

I'll be interested in a DIY write up [emoji1362][emoji1360]

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #60
Is there any issue wiring camera power to an ignition switched source vs the reverse light harness? I ordered a generic cam but it looks like the power wire runs all the way through the harness and exits with the rca connector.
not for the car. Longevity of the camera is the question.