Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD and Final Drive Installation

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What is the typical charge to install LSD?
I've found that there is NO "typical charge".

In my area I've heard everything from $1500.00 up to $2500.00, and that does not even include the install kit or 'shop supplies', and obviously NOT the diff itself! [crazyeye] (and I do not even trust these places to do the job correctly, even at those insane costs!!)

(I myself would just go to cp-e and let Mitch install one once I decide to get a limited slip diff, regardless of the labor cost, since I trust them/him implicitly to do this job CORRECTLY, and with NO problems! [wink] [thumb])

In other areas it might be as low as $750.00 to $1000.00.

Great videos! I don't think I will be planning to tackle this any time soo because I don't owe a FiSt yet, but personally I think LSD is probably the most important component of any cars.
Looking at the videos when you press new bearings into the diff, what about the race bearing during reassemble? how do you check the clearance on it?

Pretty much a day's labour. So around where I am it is around $800 (CAD) +/- different shop rates.
I'm going to go ahead and bump this because I'm going through this right now. Even with the trans out of the car, I've had three shops here in the Charlotte NC area wanting $1600 minimum to do the install. That's at $100 an hour for each shop. [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION] do you believe that 16 hours is a realistic time frame with the trans out of the car?

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #24
I'm going to go ahead and bump this because I'm going through this right now. Even with the trans out of the car, I've had three shops here in the Charlotte NC area wanting $1600 minimum to do the install. That's at $100 an hour for each shop. [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION] do you believe that 16 hours is a realistic time frame with the trans out of the car?
if you are just swapping the lsd, with the trans already out of the car, the longest it should take is 4 hours. The final drive will take longer due to pressing out the gears but that was only an hour extra at the shop when they pressed those for me. If you have the transmission out, I would watch my videos and really think about doing it yourself if they are going to charge that much.

Edit: Mountune quoted me $1200 way back when I first wanted to do this and they said the transmission had to be in the vehicle and running. So that is $1200 to remove, install, and put back in the car. Not sure if prices changed but that gives you an idea on the labor costs.

[MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION] Thank you sir, that's what I was thinking as well. I received the install instructions along with the Ford Performance install kit I picked up, it didn't look terribly difficult even to my slightly mechanically challenged self. If any of them had come back and said $700-$800 I would have probably gone ahead with it, but $1600 is just nuts. Especially considering even the performance shops here in town that I've spoken with had to have a ton of questions answered before even coming up with the estimate.

[MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION] Thank you sir, that's what I was thinking as well. I received the install instructions along with the Ford Performance install kit I picked up, it didn't look terribly difficult even to my slightly mechanically challenged self. If any of them had come back and said $700-$800 I would have probably gone ahead with it, but $1600 is just nuts. Especially considering even the performance shops here in town that I've spoken with had to have a ton of questions answered before even coming up with the estimate.
Did you try 42 Autosports in Denver NC? They specialize in Subaru and V8's, but they will pretty much work on anything.

I'll give them a call and see what they can quote me on it, like Pete said it seems to be a fairly simple install just by what I've seen in his videos and this guide from Ford Performance. I may just see if my buddy can help out with the install and take a crack at it myself if they quote me above $800 as I think that's my price point where I'm willing to pay to avoid the hassle, anything over that and it's gonna be DIY.

codestp202

Updated post #2 with a video driving around with the car. I'll make a write up as I forgot all about doing that.
Hey Pete,

If we're JUST doing the LSD, is the LSD and install kit from Whoosh everything we would need parts wise? Drop the trans, follow your vid, and bolt it back up?

The disassembly and assembly isn't what worries me. The lash adjustment / check is what concerns me.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #31
Hey Pete,

If we're JUST doing the LSD, is the LSD and install kit from Whoosh everything we would need parts wise? Drop the trans, follow your vid, and bolt it back up?

The disassembly and assembly isn't what worries me. The lash adjustment / check is what concerns me.
From what I've seen, experienced and measured, the lash is the same. It was the same on the wavetrac I installed and I had all the shims as left over. Same was true on the quaife so if the manufacturer made to right it will be as simple as throwing it in.

Yeah [MENTION=5108]codestp202[/MENTION] not sure if you were sent the Ford Performance install instructions with your kit or not, but if you look for the M-4026-FA install kit instructions, it tells you everything that you need to do. It looks to be a straight up swap that doesn't look very complicated.

codestp202

Yeah [MENTION=5108]codestp202[/MENTION] not sure if you were sent the Ford Performance install instructions with your kit or not, but if you look for the M-4026-FA install kit instructions, it tells you everything that you need to do. It looks to be a straight up swap that doesn't look very complicated.
Haven't pulled the trigger on the the diff or install kit. Does the kit come with transmission drop instructions?
If so, this all makes me pretty confident. I plan on getting the M-Factory diff

It does not come with drop instructions, that one you would have to refer to Pete on. From what I was seeing with a buddy of mine up under the car dropping it shouldn't be terribly difficult either. If I can find somewhere that'll quote me a reasonable price on the swap out, I'll be dropping it myself and taking it up to them to swap. If that happens I'll do a write-up on how to drop it and everything if that's needed, unless Pete already has it, been a bit since I've watched the videos.

Edit: [MENTION=7333]appst8[/MENTION] I reached out to 42 and they hadn't gotten back to me yet. I called Shift Fast down in Rock Hill and they referred me to Reliable down in Rock Hill. $1k with the trans on the car, $400 with it off. Much more in line with what Pete was saying.

[MENTION=4176]nickstewartroc[/MENTION] Just the LSD for now, will look at the final drive possibly later. Having traction problems now as is, so I think that may exacerbate them a bit.

So, LSD install went off without a hitch, drove the car home yesterday afternoon with no issues. Yesterday evening I decided to take it out for a little spin, sure enough seems like air somewhere in the lines because the clutch would not pop back up without a couple of presses when driving aggressively. So back down to the shop on Monday to have them bleed the system again and verify that's all that's going on.