Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD and Final Drive Installation

Pete

Before I begin I would like to reference Rodmoe's thread he made awhile back. http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1365-LSD-Installation-Thread His thread was the only thing I had for a reference at all before undergoing this installation. There was however no information about the final drive and everything that was required for installing that unit. Therefore it took me 1 month and 2 weeks to finally gather all the materials I needed for the final drive while the transmission was apart. I hope to save all of you time by laying out everything I purchased as well as having the installation how to videos for you to follow.

Interesting finds:
I found that the final drive ratio, even though it is sold by Pumaspeed or Sico Developments, are parts made from Ford UK. Another note is UK part numbers do not match USA part numbers and this made a little bit of confusion when trying to search for certain parts. Another point I would like to highlight was Rodmoe noted he did not have to change the shim for his Quaife Diff and I didn't have to do so either with my Wavetrac. This could either be a great coincidence or the LSD's are made so well into spec that there is no need for that step.

LSD Installation prep:
I opted to purchase the diff installation kit through Mountune that did not include the loctite. I purchased my loctite through amazon for a much less expensive rate. I bought 271 and 515 Loctite. Other things I purchased for taking the transmission apart was a new clutch slave cylinder through Tasca as well as new case bolts. Tools I purchased for this project was a bearing installation kit from Harbor freight, a micrometer, and a seal puller.

Final Drive Installation prep:
I would purchase the Mountune diff kit as you will be replacing the ring gear as well as the reverse gear shaft and the output shaft. When ordering the kit make sure to select the option for the main pinion bearing. This bearing you can not order in the USA as Ford does not make the part here state side. The other thing is make sure you get everything in your kit as when I ordered mine the main pinion bearing was missing. Although PumaSpeed quickly corrected this and the new bearing was at my front door in 3 days from the UK! Next you need 3 more bearings and a retainer bolt for the output shaft. I will list part numbers/links further below. I also highly suggest finding a transmission shop to replace and swap the gears once you have them removed from the transmission. The added cost for myself was $136 out the door to have a shop do this process. As simple as all these parts may seem now that it is laid out, no one knew which parts went to which shaft so I went through the process of ordering all the bearings and returning the incorrect ones.

Part numbers/links:
Mountune Diff Kit http://www.mountuneusa.com/ATB-Differential-Installation-Kit-Fiesta-ST-p/2364-atb-hw.htm
Loctite 271 thread locker
Loctite 515 Gasket maker
Clutch slave cylinder DG9Z-7A564-B
Case bolts W500311-S437

Pumaspeed final drive http://www.pumaspeed.com/product-Ford-Fiesta-ST-180-EcoBoost-431-Final-Drive_16814.jsp
or Sico Final drive https://www.sico-developments.co.uk...1-final-drive-replacement?variant=12732727812
Bearings for output shaft and reverse
AV6Z-7025-B
AV6Z-7025-A
DV6Z7065-A
Retainer Bolt AV6Z-7049-B

Installation notes:
Puller the axles seals out before removing the new old races or the differential bearings. There is a groove in the house to allow a flathead screwdriver or chisel to hammer on to remove the races. It helps to have a buddy work with you! I used a Vice to hold the ring gear in place as I torqued the new bolts to hold the new LSD in place. Take your time! It truly tested my patience putting the output and input shaft back together. If you are having difficulty check to see if any of the bearings popped out from the output shaft as you will see kept happening in the video, as well as walk away and take a break if you are having a really difficult time. Overall time with the transmission on the work bench I spent 7 hours doing the installation but with the added time of having cameras and making the videos for you guys. Also do not lose the retainer clips! There are three of them on the smallest shaft. They may pop out when you remove the shift fork so be ready.

Torque settings:
Case bolts are
NOTICE: Make sure that new bolts are installed.

Torque :
Stage 1: 18 Nm
Stage 2: 90 degree

Tq to stg one then tq 90 degrees past that moving the tq wrench in a circle make it 1/4 turn more of a turn after stage one tq is set.

Also the ring gear on the Diff is
Tighten each bolt 1 turn at a time.
Torque :
Stage 1: 50 Nm
Stage 2: 90 degree

[video=youtube_share;qsMLSALCnww]https://youtu.be/qsMLSALCnww[/video]

[video=youtube_share;2hjuQzYLeQw]https://youtu.be/2hjuQzYLeQw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;jOOhf6IufPg]https://youtu.be/jOOhf6IufPg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;haYV5lIKrGo]https://youtu.be/haYV5lIKrGo[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Zfpb7cFIZlo]https://youtu.be/Zfpb7cFIZlo[/video]

Last edited:
OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #2
Reserved for driving impressions

[video=youtube_share;41adBwBX4d4]https://youtu.be/41adBwBX4d4[/video]

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Great video - having said that, I really don't want to do it myself. Suspension, electrics, plumbing, sheet metal, roll cage - no problem. Engine and gearbox - scary!! Too bad someone isn't selling IB6's with an LSD and core charge [wink].

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #7
Part 2 of the reassembly is up and I really wanted to show just how difficult and a pain in the butt it was putting it back together. Video is in the first post.

Great video - having said that, I really don't want to do it myself. Suspension, electrics, plumbing, sheet metal, roll cage - no problem. Engine and gearbox - scary!! Too bad someone isn't selling IB6's with an LSD and core charge [wink].
As great of an idea as that is, there are too many LSD choices and I can totally see why transmission shops charge so much. I am hoping with these videos it will help guide people who would otherwise spent $$$$ at a shop and make them feel comfortable doing it themselves while saving a bunch of cash at the same time.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am hoping with these videos it will help guide people who would otherwise spent $$$$ at a shop and make them feel comfortable doing it themselves while saving a bunch of cash at the same time.
And we love ya for it, and appreciate it to NO END!! [twothumb]

But sadly, some of us just do not have the space/facility to do this, nor the luxury of tying up their sole mode of transportation/dailydriver for weeks at a time (or at least many days IF we are competent) even if we had said facility. [:(]

So we must save up to pay those shops their overly exorbitant rates to do this quickly. [mad]

And we love ya for it, and appreciate it to NO END!! [twothumb]

But sadly, some of us just do not have the space/facility to do this, nor the luxury of tying up their sole mode of transportation/dailydriver for weeks at a time (or at least many days IF we are competent) even if we had said facility. [:(]

So we must save up to pay those shops their overly exorbitant rates to do this quickly. [mad]
Another wonderful benefit of being in the military...I pay 6 bucks an hour at the auto hobby shop to use a bay with a body lift and four dollars a night to store it. If I didn't have something like this I'd have stopped at intake and intercooler as far as modifications go lol. (about to change the turbo for the second time) The amount of money shops charge is absolutely insane to me.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #10
Part three is updated in the first post.

How many case bolts are there? As you said they should be replaced. I assume its ok that the part number links to an intake manifold bolt on TASCA? Thanks for the writeup and videos [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION]

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #12
How many case bolts are there? As you said they should be replaced. I assume its ok that the part number links to an intake manifold bolt on TASCA? Thanks for the writeup and videos [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION]
Yeah I had the same question when I ordered them. They are the same bolts. I will count them to double check the number I ordered 24 which was more then I needed.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #13
Sorry it took me so long to remember to check 18 case bolts are needed. I ordered 24 and had 6 left over.

jayrod1980

What's the bit about having a trans shop replace gears? Is this necessary? Were they damaged? I just don't understand that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope to go this route so thank you for the write up. Since the Final Drive parts are UK im curious if its an ST200 final drive.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #17
What's the bit about having a trans shop replace gears? Is this necessary? Were they damaged? I just don't understand that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was for swaping to the short final drive gear ratio. It's not needed for only an LSD install. I can't remember the total costs but I'm sure you can do the math with the links I provided for parts and your choice of LSD.