Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Immobilzer Issues

So DIYing the MR230 kit led me to remove the battery and its mounting bracket to get access to the downpipe bolts. After reassembling everything I tried to fire the car up, all the electronics came on, but when I pushed the ignition button I got a click and a message telling me to turn the car off. After some research I found that it was apparently an immobilizer issue. So I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, reconnected it, and issue was solved. I drove it 4-5 times with no issues, but then the issues reoccurred. I was in a hurry so I had a buddy push start me, but after driving for a bit I got a battery, ABS, and traction control light. I disconnected the battery again when I got home, and again the Fiesta fired into life, but the very next time I tried to start it the immobilizer crippled it again. Ive got it scheduled for service, but I was curious if anyone has had problems with the immobilizer going batty.

OP
FiestaTexas
Thread Starter #3
Nope they both work fine as far as I can tell. Ive only had the car since May...

haste

1000 Post Club
My car warned my wife the battery was getting low in her fob...if you aren't seeing this message then it is probably something else. Gl, OP.

OP
FiestaTexas
Thread Starter #5
Yeah its a bizarre problem. We're thinking since the battery remained disconnected for a few days that the fob needs to be reprogrammed, but we'll find out come Wednesday!

Spaceman_Spiff

Yeah its a bizarre problem. We're thinking since the battery remained disconnected for a few days that the fob needs to be reprogrammed, but we'll find out come Wednesday!
if the fob needed reprogrammed, I would think that it wouldn't start your car to begin with.

OP
FiestaTexas
Thread Starter #7
So I started it to take it to the dealership today and it began smoking from under the hood. I popped it and smoke was coming from the positive battery terminal, so it got towed to the dealership. All I know so far is that they called and said it needs a new starter, and are going to see if my MR230 ECU tune has anything to do with the issue. I feel like a warranty fight might insue over this haha.

OP
FiestaTexas
Thread Starter #9
Ok well the end result was a new starter. Apparently it was not functioning properly. Im not sure how the car started at all if the starter was bad, or why it took me unhooking the battery for a time to operate. Im definitely no expert on the electronics of a car, but that just seems strange to me. Anyway it was covered under warranty and Im back in business!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Ok well the end result was a new starter. Apparently it was not functioning properly. Im not sure how the car started at all if the starter was bad, or why it took me unhooking the battery for a time to operate. Im definitely no expert on the electronics of a car, but that just seems strange to me. Anyway it was covered under warranty and Im back in business!
Removing the battery cleared a flag in memory somewhere. Once you try the starter to system detected and logged a trouble. Engine components are not like they use to be. The the can bus and other bus they can know what is wrong quick.