Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FORScan reverse/backup camera discussion thread

I am in the process of wiring up the camera. Just a few pointers that might make life a little easier for those that try this. Go to a home improvement store of your choice and get some 1/4" nylon tubing. It was easier for me to cut one end of the video cable rather than trying to feed the full connection through tiny holes. Feeding the cable from the tailgate to the interior is a near impossible feat as it is. The only thing that made it possible was the nylon tubing. The rigid tube was easy to feed through the tailgate. Once the tubing was in place I fed the wire through the tubing. I don't plan on using the cable connector when I hook up the wire to the screen. So far I have used FORscan to enable the camera, Installed the camera, wired up the license plate light, and fed the video cable to the headliner. I still have to find a power source for the camera somewhere on the tailgate. Not sure when I will have time this week to do the rest.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
So far I have used FORscan to enable the camera, Installed the camera, wired up the license plate light, and fed the video cable to the headliner. I still have to find a power source for the camera somewhere on the tailgate. Not sure when I will have time this week to do the rest.
Great work I will need your notes on the FORScan software. I have not checked in depth but I was going to take teh power from the reverse light the harness feed is in the trunk last I checked.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #3
I read another thread on here where a guy recently bricked his car messing with FORscan. Needless to say, my nuts were in my throat trying to figure out some stuff carguy said he did to get his camera to be detected along with some of the research I have done on this subject. So to help others not end up in the same boat I will provide the info that worked for me. Once you are in the AIPM the first line 7D0-01-01 has 3 boxes of alpha numeric code XXXX-XXXX-XXXX. I am sure these will be different depending on the different options and such each car has, but the second number because we do not have reverse cameras should be "1" so it should look like X1XX-XXXX-XXXX. carguy said he had success changing his to "A". He said that some have had success with "B" as well. Neither of these worked for me. I found a focus st thread where he changed his to 3 and got his to work. What I have read is that "1" disables, "2" enables just the camera and "3" enables camera along with obstacle detection. I don't have obstacle detection so I put "2" in. Now when I put my car in reverse it will say that no camera is detected and to contact the dealership.

Great work I will need your notes on the FORScan software. I have not checked in depth but I was going to take teh power from the reverse light the harness feed is in the trunk last I checked.
Connecting to the reverse light would make much more sense and what I planned on doing as it will only provide power to the camera when it is in reverse. However after the pain of routing the video cable I wanted to try and avoid routing more wire, but it looks like the only options I have are defroster, trunk release, wiper motor, and plate lights. The defroster won't work because I would have to have that button pressed before I put my car in reverse. The wiper motor and trunk release would provide constant power to the camera when the car is on and the plate lights only come on when the lights are on. But because I am a perfectionist I will probably end up routing wire to the reverse lights and be done.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I read another thread on here where a guy recently bricked his car messing with FORscan. Needless to say, my nuts were in my throat trying to figure out some stuff carguy said he did to get his camera to be detected along with some of the research I have done on this subject. So to help others not end up in the same boat I will provide the info that worked for me. Once you are in the AIPM the first line 7D0-01-01 has 3 boxes of alpha numeric code XXXX-XXXX-XXXX. I am sure these will be different depending on the different options and such each car has, but the second number because we do not have reverse cameras should be "1" so it should look like X1XX-XXXX-XXXX. carguy said he had success changing his to "A". He said that some have had success with "B" as well. Neither of these worked for me. I found a focus st thread where he changed his to 3 and got his to work. What I have read is that "1" disables, "2" enables just the camera and "3" enables camera along with obstacle detection. I don't have obstacle detection so I put "2" in. Now when I put my car in reverse it will say that no camera is detected and to contact the dealership.

Connecting to the reverse light would make much more sense and what I planned on doing as it will only provide power to the camera when it is in reverse. However after the pain of routing the video cable I wanted to try and avoid routing more wire, but it looks like the only options I have are defroster, trunk release, wiper motor, and plate lights. The defroster won't work because I would have to have that button pressed before I put my car in reverse. The wiper motor and trunk release would provide constant power to the camera when the car is on and the plate lights only come on when the lights are on. But because I am a perfectionist I will probably end up routing wire to the reverse lights and be done.
Can you list the year and sync version? Maybe that has impact on the values. carguy is a sync2 2015. I will do some cleaning of this thread to keep the information relevant.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #5
Mine is a 2015 with sync 2 as well. That is why I found it interesting that what worked for him didn't work for me.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #7
Well, whatever the reason. there are a few options to try without fear of bricking your system (as long as that is the only thing you change). Just as precaution I did all this while the car was running. I have kids running around and once they see me they will open the doors and climb in. I didn't want to do this in accessory mode and have the car for whatever reason, shut off in the middle of writing to the system if they opened the door or the car automatically shuts off. Once you change the number and click write in FORscan your sync will reset. After it is booted up put it in reverse. It will take a second as it searches for your camera. If no camera is detected will will come up with that screen. if after a few seconds nothing comes up go back into FORscan. Both carguy and I, when it didn't work the first time, put it back to the default values and reset the system before trying another value. I would recommend doing FORscan first. It would make it easier to trouble shoot if, for whatever reason the camera doesn't work.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Well, whatever the reason. there are a few options to try without fear of bricking your system (as long as that is the only thing you change). Just as precaution I did all this while the car was running. I have kids running around and once they see me they will open the doors and climb in. I didn't want to do this in accessory mode and have the car for whatever reason, shut off in the middle of writing to the system if they opened the door or the car automatically shuts off. Once you change the number and click write in FORscan your sync will reset. After it is booted up put it in reverse. It will take a second as it searches for your camera. If no camera is detected will will come up with that screen. if after a few seconds nothing comes up go back into FORscan. Both carguy and I, when it didn't work the first time, put it back to the default values and reset the system before trying another value. I would recommend doing FORscan first. It would make it easier to trouble shoot if, for whatever reason the camera doesn't work.
Did you try the camera before the wiring to make sure it pans out? I have the dongles on order including the one with the ms-can switch. Which I read and believe is the one required.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Does anyone know how to activate the cam on sync 3?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Well woke up and had this email in my inbox "SHIPPED: ELM327 USB Modified for Ford with FTDI chip - MS-CAN support " this is getting real!

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #11
Well woke up and had this email in my inbox "SHIPPED: ELM327 USB Modified for Ford with FTDI chip - MS-CAN support " this is getting real!
That is the same one I eventually got.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #13
How did you hook up the camera to the headunit? The harness or something you made?
I haven't hooked it up to the headunit yet, but I am close. I am about 2/3 of the way installed. The plan is to insert connectors into #14 and #15 in the harness connector which are for the RCA connection. But since I cut off one end of the RCA cable to thread the wire through the car, I will probably just bypass the RCA connector all together and just splice the wires together. I will need about 2 more uninterrupted hours this week to get the rest of the wires run and connected.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #15
Good luck. Waiting to see what the outcome is.
Thanks. I will keep you updated. On a positive note, for whatever reason, as I was backing out of my driveway this morning I noticed the screen didn't say "no camera detected please contact your dealer," but said to check my surroundings. I was going to take a picture of it, but when I got to work and tried to put it in reverse it came back with the no camera detected.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #16
Had an hour to kill, so finished running the camera power wire to the reverse light. Now my trunk is all back together. All that is left is running the video wire to the screen. So close!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #18
I don't know if I am the first to do a sub $50 reverse camera install, but it is pretty cool to have the option now. Shout out to carguy for the info he found for FORscan.

Be careful removing the screen shroud. There are 6 plastic clips that did not come off with the shroud and fell into the dash...lost forever. There are 2 in front, 2 in the middle, and 2 in the rear. I lost the two rear and one middle...not happy. Now I have to find replacements

I ended up using some wire from a computer connection that I was able fit into the harness. If you do not use the $50 connector #15 on the harness is the outer ring (female part) of the RCA connector and #14 is for the center (male part).

Last edited:
OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #20
Looking good! Do the lines move with the steering wheel?
I am not sure what you are asking. The lines move with the car, but do not move if you are just sitting there turning the wheel. I have never heard of just the lines moving when turning the wheel. I am not even sure what purpose that would serve.