Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is it worth trading in the fiesta for the RS?

There is a "fatal flaw" as mentioned above. There is a seam on the block that cracks where a coolant passage is and leaks coolant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ZxRn5K2IE
Yeah, this is the kind of shit that would give me pause. Remember how long the leaking coolant issue on our cars existed before Ford acknowledged it. The fact that this is already showing up in significant numbers is concerning. Also, I remember when they stopped production for a couple months because of a possible engine issue.
Wonder if this is what it was.

Waterfan

I'll buck the trend slightly.

While at the same time I agree completely with the financial and other objective analyses pointing to "not worth it", if anyone personally has their heart set on the RS for any reasons, especially emotional reasons, then yes, it can be "worth it" if you simply "must have it".

Having worked at a dealership and driven both a FoRS and Golf R extensively while owning a FiST.... I can say I would totally see why someone would want the FoRS. Is the FiST practical? yes and no; If you really need to go somewhere with 4 people it is truly cramped, at least with my recaros. The Fiesta is more fuel efficient but if you can afford the RS payment you can afford the gas. The RS is heavier for sure and you can feel that in the driving dynamics, but the RS is so damn flat and composed in the corners it is unreal. The sound, the pull, everything about the RS engages you on a different level than the Fiesta. Not to mention that the FoRS looks so damn good in my opinion, it turns heads where my Fiesta doesn't really.

Ill gladly sell any of the 3 RS models in my inventory for sticker. 2 stealth grey and 1 quad nitrous. all RS2 packages.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Turning heads and attention grabbing isn't always a good thing. Sometimes I wish I didn't own my Typhoon as people/people's have tried to steal or plot to steal it. I always have to double back in certain areas....park in very well lit areas...pull the coil wire. The guy who owned it before me also had an issue with certain people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'll buck the trend slightly.

While at the same time I agree completely with the financial and other objective analyses pointing to "not worth it", if anyone personally has their heart set on the RS for any reasons, especially emotional reasons, then yes, it can be "worth it" if you simply "must have it".
AGREED!
And even though it goes AGAINST most everyone on here, and their opinions/worldviews/etc., THAT is the reason I personally would take an RS over the already deified by the 'JDM faithful' CTR, and Evo, STI, etc., IF I had the coin for, and the need for that type (in most cases, AWD turbo) car in that range, EVEN IF it had some "fatal flaws" (as if ALL of the Nippon nameplate stuff is picture perfect ALL of the time [crackmeup]).

I waited all of this time for Ford, (or ANY domestic nameplate) to give U.S. an AWD/turbo, 'rally style' Evo/STI fighter, and the RS is the car I would HAVE TO have in that genre/price range. [wink] [driving]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's not twice the car...so no

But I do plan to test drive the CTR when it comes out. I've owned many Honda's & Acura's so you could say I bleed Red & Championship White :)
The beloved CTR is also not necessarily "twice the car" either, just because it has the 'holy' H logo on it. ;)

Izzy

The beloved CTR is also not necessarily "twice the car" either, just because it has the 'holy' H logo on it. ;)
Dude I'm a Honda guy that drives a Ford...I appreciate a good car regardless of brand. If you like the RS by all means go for it, but just because Ford has been able to pull themselves out of a slump recently does not mitigate nor undermine the decades of innovation Honda has under it's belt. Just research how many car companies have "studied" Honda engine design to improve their own products.

Pete

With my new series RS driving experience. I have to constantly tell myself after driving it "I don't need it, I don't need it." The RS in stock form is a great car and with just a little but of modding to enhance it, it becomes an even better car. Can't wait to do the battle of a built Fiesta ST and a modded RS. Going to see what is better value for the money as we are trying to get both cars at the same price point including purchase price (new) + all the mods. Once the Fiesta is paid off I'll probably be getting an RS if my life doesn't take on more responsibilities.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
With my new series RS driving experience. I have to constantly tell myself after driving it "I don't need it, I don't need it." The RS in stock form is a great car and with just a little but of modding to enhance it, it becomes an even better car. Can't wait to do the battle of a built Fiesta ST and a modded RS. Going to see what is better value for the money as we are trying to get both cars at the same price point including purchase price (new) + all the mods. Once the Fiesta is paid off I'll probably be getting an RS if my life doesn't take on more responsibilities.
I would buy one RIGHT NOW if I had the coin laying around for it, OVER anything else new, and in that price range/genre. [thumb]

Yeah, I'm definitely with M-Sport on this one. If there's a car I "have to have" it's the RS. Unfortunately the company we (military) buy American spec cars from can't get them here. Which is also good because I've only had my FiST for a year so I don't need another car haha. Hopefully they have the kinks worked out by the time I get back to the US in 2019. I wouldn't modify the RS for a while either. I'd probably buy some things for it and start modding after about 35-40k miles.

zanethan

Turning heads and attention grabbing isn't always a good thing. Sometimes I wish I didn't own my Typhoon as people/people's have tried to steal or plot to steal it. I always have to double back in certain areas....park in very well lit areas...pull the coil wire. The guy who owned it before me also had an issue with certain people.

Not to get too far off topics here but seriously?!?! I mean the Typhoon is a cool car but to the average joe it looks like an early 90's Jimmy...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The people who know.....know. Others have asked that's a nice body kit on that Jimmy. I just say yeap pretty neat huh and walk away. The people who know offer money for it regularly...haha.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The people who know.....know. Others have asked that's a nice body kit on that Jimmy. I just say yeap pretty neat huh and walk away. The people who know offer money for it regularly...haha.

Yup, HOLD ONTO that BEAST!!! [thumb]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The only bad thing....its a complete maintenance whore...cap and rotor every 6 k....eat that crap alive.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thank God for AutoZone lifetime gold cap and rotor

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thank God for AutoZone lifetime gold cap and rotor

I always thought they were distributor-less systems on the Syclones/Typhoons, and even the latter GNs, but then the even newer LT1 V-8s in the latter C4s, and earlier 4th gen f bodies were still Opti-Crap distributor systems, so it makes sense they are not.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wish....but I'm good without the optispark system....seen way to many issues with them.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Let me pose Thisbe wuestion to you guys. $40k on a FoRS or take the difference of $40k and what you spent on your FiST and mod it anyway you want. With the extra $15k- $20k I could make my Fist look however I want and boost the performance to blow the FoRS away. As my car stands right now it's just as fast as a FoRS with stage 1 tune and way cheaper. I love my car. Was gonna trade it in last year for a Mustang GT but thought it felt Super slow and drove like a tank. Feeling really doe matter a lot a lot. Same with the FoRS. As was stated before, no substitute for lightness. This is just my opinion, but id rather have a car that feels quicker than what it isn't han a fast one that feels slow.

Pete

Let me pose Thisbe wuestion to you guys. $40k on a FoRS or take the difference of $40k and what you spent on your FiST and mod it anyway you want. With the extra $15k- $20k I could make my Fist look however I want and boost the performance to blow the FoRS away. As my car stands right now it's just as fast as a FoRS with stage 1 tune and way cheaper. I love my car. Was gonna trade it in last year for a Mustang GT but thought it felt Super slow and drove like a tank. Feeling really doe matter a lot a lot. Same with the FoRS. As was stated before, no substitute for lightness. This is just my opinion, but id rather have a car that feels quicker than what it isn't han a fast one that feels slow.
I plan on doing this exact comparison with to see what the hard numbers tell us in terms of performance and then what my personal enjoyment is between the two cars. To make things a little fair the RS will have a few mods to help offset the craziness I have done with my fiesta. As well as get the total cost of both cars to be as close as possible including all mods (labor not included).