Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is it worth trading in the fiesta for the RS?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Let me pose Thisbe wuestion to you guys. $40k on a FoRS or take the difference of $40k and what you spent on your FiST and mod it anyway you want. With the extra $15k- $20k I could make my Fist look however I want and boost the performance to blow the FoRS away. As my car stands right now it's just as fast as a FoRS with stage 1 tune and way cheaper. I love my car. Was gonna trade it in last year for a Mustang GT but thought it felt Super slow and drove like a tank. Feeling really doe matter a lot a lot. Same with the FoRS. As was stated before, no substitute for lightness. This is just my opinion, but id rather have a car that feels quicker than what it isn't han a fast one that feels slow.
Hey, IF I could; add a lightweight/functional/STRONG AWD system and rear subframe, and full, REAL, WRC bodywork, along with the power increases, for the coin you specified above, then HELL YEAH, I'd rather have the modded, lighter/smaller 'FiRS' over a FoRS (although I would prefer to do this with a 3 door version ;) ).

But we all know that is not even close to a possible reality with that given amount of coin. [:(]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
You could dump the money delta into the Fiesta ST, but you would never come close to the engineering expense, reliability, drivability, collectability, and resale of the RS. I am not saying it would not be fun. :)

I am 100% sure I will own a RS in the future, but not while I am still loving my ST and I can keep it looking nice. Living in Michigan only gives you a few short years before the salt destroys it. Typically 5 years is the maximum I will own a car before the rust issue becomes too much to deal with. I am doubling the efforts to protect the chassis of the ST in hopes of extending it's life. When it is time, I am sure it will be an RS.

J2FoRS

...but you would never come close to the engineering expense, reliability, drivability, collectability, and resale of the RS. I am not saying it would not be fun. :)
With the problems they've been having already, I dont think id be quoting "reliability." And the words "resale" and Ford never go in the same sentence. you can already buy them used for ~10k under MSRP with 10k on them. And now that everyone and their dog has a blue RS. Its hardly going to be collectable. Maybe some of the low production numbers ones, or the rare colours. [dunno]

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Hey, IF I could; add a lightweight/functional/STRONG AWD system and rear subframe, and full, REAL, WRC bodywork, along with the power increases, for the coin you specified above, then HELL YEAH, I'd rather have the modded, lighter/smaller 'FiRS' over a FoRS (although I would prefer to do this with a 3 door version ;) ).

But we all know that is not even close to a possible reality with that given amount of coin. [:(]
Well you can purchase an RS FiST kit from Magnusson over in the U.K. And some M2 Fender Flares, get a 4x100 hub conversion, Big Brake Kit, DHM Turbo, super stick tires with the wheel package of your choice, coilovers of your choice and body bracing and still have coin leftover. Sorry no AWD conversion. But that combo would embarrass most cars on the road and look badass doing it. Rather have my FiST customized like this than have a run of the mill RS. My opinion of course. Btw in my beck of he woods I see more RS than I do FiSTs. Even at the local Cars and Coffee, you see a few FoRS and only me or I've seen one other FiST show up. Also in terms of reliability, I'll take my C39 modded FisT with 30k modded and abusive miles on the odometer and has never given me one issue.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well you can purchase an RS FiST kit from Magnusson over in the U.K. And some M2 Fender Flares, get a 4x100 hub conversion, Big Brake Kit, DHM Turbo, super stick tires with the wheel package of your choice, coilovers of your choice and body bracing and still have coin leftover. Sorry no AWD conversion. But that combo would embarrass most cars on the road and look badass doing it. Rather have my FiST customized like this than have a run of the mill RS. My opinion of course. Btw in my beck of he woods I see more RS than I do FiSTs. Even at the local Cars and Coffee, you see a few FoRS and only me or I've seen one other FiST show up. Also in terms of reliability, I'll take my C39 modded FisT with 30k modded and abusive miles on the odometer and has never given me one issue.
^^^That WOULD be a spectacular setup, and like you said, be one of the most wicked rides on the road!! [thumb]
(Definitely the hottest FWD setup!)

But, (and I KNOW I am in the VAST minority on here concerning this) I would STILL want drive to the rear wheels to make the package 'complete', and fully 'tractable'.
Yes, at THAT point one is in another universe as far as co$t$ are concerned, IF it could even be done without the full-on, WRC works drivetrain, and rear subframe setup.

I realize you were comparing the relative rarity of our cars to the FoRS/FoST, but in my immediate area at least, one sees more semi-exotic/exotic, SUPER/HYPERCARS than other FiSTs!! [crazyeye]
THAT'S rarity! LOL

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
^^^That WOULD be a spectacular setup, and like you said, be one of the most wicked rides on the road!! [thumb]
(Definitely the hottest FWD setup!)

But, (and I KNOW I am in the VAST minority on here concerning this) I would STILL want drive to the rear wheels to make the package 'complete', and fully 'tractable'.
Yes, at THAT point one is in another universe as far as co$t$ are concerned, IF it could even be done without the full-on, WRC works drivetrain, and rear subframe setup.

I realize you were comparing the relative rarity of our cars to the FoRS/FoST, but in my immediate area at least, one sees more semi-exotic/exotic, SUPER/HYPERCARS than other FiSTs!! [crazyeye]
THAT'S rarity! LOL
I'm with you with wanting AWD. I often find myself wishing for AWD even RWD, usually when I'm WOT and the steering wheel is trying to yank itself from my hands. Could you imagine a RWD FiST?? No what would be an amazing little ride.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm with you with wanting AWD. I often find myself wishing for AWD even RWD, usually when I'm WOT and the steering wheel is trying to yank itself from my hands. Could you imagine a RWD FiST?? No what would be an amazing little ride.
YES, that would be cool, and I personally think that 'north/south' 4 banger engine layouts both look better, and are easier to work on than the standard transverse setups, albeit requiring a slightly longer hood/front clip.
Also, having the possibility of a positive shifting, direct into the gearbox shifter, with NO effing cable is a GREAT thing!! [thumb]

(A rear axle limited slip diff would also be a little easier, and less costly to install as well. [:)])

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
why not just enjoy both rather than just one - they are both awesome cars

I love certain things about the Fiesta that the RS doesn't possess but there are also many reasons why the RS is an amazing car out of the box

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Ohh man! RWD FiST?! That's one thing that would take some serious effort not to show up at the dealer on release date! A battle every weekend!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
why not just enjoy both rather than just one - they are both awesome cars

I love certain things about the Fiesta that the RS doesn't possess but there are also many reasons why the RS is an amazing car out of the box
I thought about that too...it's just not practical for me right now. I have too many "vehicles" as it is right now. A time comes when you try to fit as much as you can that you like and/or need in a vehicle on as few as possible and the FiST is quite good at that. FiST is probably the "best" DD car out there right now.

For me "best" = fun. Living here in LA nearly all my life and having commuted by every possible way imaginable (except helicopter)...fun commutes are pretty top on the priority list right now as everything else is old and tired and I don't want anything to do with it anymore.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Here's my take on it since I had a FiST then just traded it in for a FoRS a month ago. I bought the FiST specifically to be a fun daily driver. In my garage, I also have an '74 BWM R90 motorcyle, '86 535, '96 Land Cruiser, and '97 Dodge Ram. I was using the Land Cruiser as my daily driver but I rolled it back in October so I was looking for a fun DD that got good gas mileage. My next door neighbor has a FiST (stage 3) and I talked to him about his ownership experience and got to take his for a test drive. I was hooked. It took me a couple weeks to find exactly what I was looking for but eventually found a Stage 3 modded, Molten Orange FiST with the Recaros and sunroof. I drove the piss out of that car putting 6k miles in 4 months of ownership. Then the Army decided it was going to send me Germany and I could only take one vehicles. I figured I would have the opportunity to drive some of the best roads in the world and I wanted something slightly bigger with AWD since I wasn't going to have my pickup or Land Cruiser for crap weather or moving stuff around. The obvious choice was the FoRS. I've had mine about a month now and put a little over 1k miles on it. I've added the Cobb off the shelf tune, high flow filter, and cat back exhaust. I don't want to touch th engine yet because of the amount of engines already being replaced on the FoRS around the globe.

So here are my thoughts between the two. If I weren't heading to Germany and downsizing my garage, I would rather have the FiST. On public roads you're not really getting any performace benefits by having the FoRS. Butt dyno says they feel just about the same up to and slightly above legal limits. On twisty roads, the FiST feels more fun because you can push it to 9/10ths without thinking you're going to kill yourself or get thrown in jail if you get caught. Plus, even driving like a complete idiot I still got 30 MPG. Tuning on the FiST is both cheaper and doesn't produce as much anxiety. There are so many examples of engines having to be replaced on the FoRS that many of us are electing to not touch the engines until there is more information available. The FiST can take just about any kind of bolt on, including turbo upgrades with no problem. Another, reason the FiST shines is the ability to park it just about anywhere because of it's size and the turning radius is awesome.

I'm not bashing the FoRS at all. I love the car and still glad I made the decision. But it was for a very specific reason in that I had to downsize and I'm going to be in Europe. Oh, and I shoud mention that cost wasn't a determining factor for me but yeah, the FoRS it obviously more expensive to buy and insure. Hope that helps you out. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Your a Ram owner.....that explains alot...hehe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There is a "fatal flaw" as mentioned above. There is a seam on the block that cracks where a coolant passage is and leaks coolant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ZxRn5K2IE
I am in IT and I love it when people download all kinds of crapware that screws up Mac OS-X, Windows, then they turn around and blame the computer manufacturer. Is this similar? Have they modified the hell out of it, then try to blame Ford when something breaks?

I am in IT and I love it when people download all kinds of crapware that screws up Mac OS-X, Windows, then they turn around and blame the computer manufacturer. Is this similar? Have they modified the hell out of it, then try to blame Ford when something breaks?
Unfortunately not. I'm over generalizing but from what I understand there have been multiple owners with no modifications that have had engine failures or other problems like PTU leaks that ended up causing the entire engine to be replaced. Granted, nobody has any real numbers on overall totals and in every case (at least on the forum) Ford has done their part in replacing the engines. It also sounds like the "problem" engines were early in the production and Ford has made some small changes so that the latest cars rolling off the assembly line have had "fixes" done. I'm honestly not that knowledgeable to quote any specifics. I'm taking the stance of putting some miles on mine before I do a bunch of modifications with the hope that if I did get a "bad" engine it will go before I spend time and money upgrading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Here's my take on it since I had a FiST then just traded it in for a FoRS a month ago. I bought the FiST specifically to be a fun daily driver. In my garage, I also have an '74 BWM R90 motorcyle, '86 535, '96 Land Cruiser, and '97 Dodge Ram. I was using the Land Cruiser as my daily driver but I rolled it back in October so I was looking for a fun DD that got good gas mileage. My next door neighbor has a FiST (stage 3) and I talked to him about his ownership experience and got to take his for a test drive. I was hooked. It took me a couple weeks to find exactly what I was looking for but eventually found a Stage 3 modded, Molten Orange FiST with the Recaros and sunroof. I drove the piss out of that car putting 6k miles in 4 months of ownership. Then the Army decided it was going to send me Germany and I could only take one vehicles. I figured I would have the opportunity to drive some of the best roads in the world and I wanted something slightly bigger with AWD since I wasn't going to have my pickup or Land Cruiser for crap weather or moving stuff around. The obvious choice was the FoRS. I've had mine about a month now and put a little over 1k miles on it. I've added the Cobb off the shelf tune, high flow filter, and cat back exhaust. I don't want to touch th engine yet because of the amount of engines already being replaced on the FoRS around the globe.

So here are my thoughts between the two. If I weren't heading to Germany and downsizing my garage, I would rather have the FiST. On public roads you're not really getting any performace benefits by having the FoRS. Butt dyno says they feel just about the same up to and slightly above legal limits. On twisty roads, the FiST feels more fun because you can push it to 9/10ths without thinking you're going to kill yourself or get thrown in jail if you get caught. Plus, even driving like a complete idiot I still got 30 MPG. Tuning on the FiST is both cheaper and doesn't produce as much anxiety. There are so many examples of engines having to be replaced on the FoRS that many of us are electing to not touch the engines until there is more information available. The FiST can take just about any kind of bolt on, including turbo upgrades with no problem. Another, reason the FiST shines is the ability to park it just about anywhere because of it's size and the turning radius is awesome.

I'm not bashing the FoRS at all. I love the car and still glad I made the decision. But it was for a very specific reason in that I had to downsize and I'm going to be in Europe. Oh, and I shoud mention that cost wasn't a determining factor for me but yeah, the FoRS it obviously more expensive to buy and insure. Hope that helps you out. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Great review/overview, but if it were me, I would have dumped the Bimmer, or the Toy (or BOTH), and kept the FiST along with the FoRS (NO MATTER how 'similar' they may be).[wink]
I realize you may have sentimental reasons/attachments to those two vehicles, which we are not aware of, or even other practical reasons for needing to keep them over the FiST.

EDIT; After seeing the pic below, I understand (did not know the LC was setup as a 'crawler'). ;)

Yeah, the LC has enough suspension modifications done to it, I could buy another FiST. Also, my BMW has the engine and drivetrain out of a 96 M3 stuffed under the hood with a ton of other modificationsdone. I got both of them for a steal compared to what they're actually worth so I can't bring myself to let them go.
https://jessetafoya.smugmug.com/Cars/i-Q5tRgD7/A

I'm very happy with my FORS.....no coolant leaks / head gasket issues yet....mine is an earlier build, 04/28/16. I have 5200 miles on it since last June. If I could do it again, I would still get the RS, but I would have kept my 2014 Orange FIST that had 8000+ miles on it. I miss that little car. So.....I hope to find another used FIST someday at the right price and hopefully relatively low mileage. If not the FIST then a distant second would be to pick up a 1.0 litre Fiesta......not a FIST, but still a Fiesta and very economical. If anyone has leads someday on a good deal for a FIST....let me know