Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is it worth trading in the fiesta for the RS?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, the LC has enough suspension modifications done to it, I could buy another FiST. Also, my BMW has the engine and drivetrain out of a 96 M3 stuffed under the hood with a ton of other modificationsdone. I got both of them for a steal compared to what they're actually worth so I can't bring myself to let them go.
https://jessetafoya.smugmug.com/Cars/i-Q5tRgD7/A
That Bimmer is a SLEEPER with a capital S! [thumb] [driving]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I'm very happy with my FORS.....no coolant leaks / head gasket issues yet....mine is an earlier build, 04/28/16. I have 5200 miles on it since last June. If I could do it again, I would still get the RS, but I would have kept my 2014 Orange FIST that had 8000+ miles on it. I miss that little car. So.....I hope to find another used FIST someday at the right price and hopefully relatively low mileage. If not the FIST then a distant second would be to pick up a 1.0 litre Fiesta......not a FIST, but still a Fiesta and very economical. If anyone has leads someday on a good deal for a FIST....let me know
The regular Fiesta is not the same or even close to the FiST. Ths FiST feels like a different car when driving it. If you get the regular Fiesta instead of the FiST, you will Very likely regret it...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

The regular Fiesta is not the same or even close to the FiST. Ths FiST feels like a different car when driving it. If you get the regular Fiesta instead of the FiST, you will Very likely regret it...

Yeah....the FIST is definitely the best sub compact on the market and the 1.0 litre can't compare. I think there is a member here...... [MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION] who did a video on his brothers (or friends) 1.0 litre

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Yeah....the FIST is definitely the best sub compact on the market and the 1.0 litre can't compare. I think there is a member here...... [MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION] who did a video on his brothers (or friends) 1.0 litre
Yup. When I traded my last car in for the Fiesta, I didn't know much about the FiST. I just wanted to get a decent econ hatchback at the time that was manual. Manuals were hard to find though..especially since I usually avoid dealers that don't have good reviews. The dealer I found had only two manuals - a base Fiesta and a loaded FiST.

Not really knowing anything about the FiST except that it was an upgraded trim model and trying to be practical and not upselled, I didn't even test drive it...didn't want to bother being tempted by all of the "extra comfort" but I had no clue what I was missing.

Fast forward a year later...after reading several reviews and hearing a few things about the FiST, my curiousity got the best of me. I had already driven the Fiesta about a year now and while it wasn't anything special it did what I expected and I was fine with it for what it was. I could also tell that the car had potential which made those reviews even more interesting but it wasn't until I test drove the FiST that I really knew.

I mean, I was sold once I had shifted into second gear, before I even left the lot! The rest was really just confirmation, lol. Yes, the cars have similarities...but the driving experience is worlds apart and while the Fiesta isn't really a bad car, its not a FiST. They are so different in driving experience that I kind of think that the FiST should have it's own name.

I actually test drove a 1.0 litre today just for the hell of it. Not an easy car to find.....Its a nice lil econobox....it sells new at a price similiar to a used 2014 FIST. The dealer had a nice used 2016 FIST with base seats and 10,000 miles. They gave the previous owner $14,000 for it yesterday, but plan on selling it for $17,000+. Maybe, when the next gen Fiesta comes out the prices for used STs will change in my favor....I hope.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Shop around. Some dealers offer steeper discounts for certain cars that they aren't selling well...in my city in certain areas you can sometimes find steeper discounts at those dealers.

Shop around. Some dealers offer steeper discounts for certain cars that they aren't selling well...in my city in certain areas you can sometimes find steeper discounts at those dealers.

I've been searching on Cargurus and Carfax....hopefully I'll find a lil gem.....I'm in no rush...would like to find one with Recaros ( like my old FIST) for around $14,000

Edit: just checked out the dealers website...sale price is for the FIST I saw yesterday is $18,900....dealer gave $14,000 for it....I'd rather buy privately if possible. Win/Win for both seller and buyer.

Last edited:

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Patience is a virtue...you could also try car auctions if you are in no hurry. Now lots of them (at least in my area) show their inventory online. Since you know specifically what you want, you can search and sift through them all until you find it and then show up at the auction prepared to make offers. Others may even allow you to bid behind the scene...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
One dealer about 16 miles away is selling a Nitrous Blue one with the forged wheel package right at list.

The other nearby dealer (where I bought my FiST), which actually OWNS the above dealership, is gouging their black RS in the showroom to the tune of ~$7500.00.

GO FIGURE! [dunno] [mad]

Patience is a virtue...you could also try car auctions if you are in no hurry. Now lots of them (at least in my area) show their inventory online. Since you know specifically what you want, you can search and sift through them all until you find it and then show up at the auction prepared to make offers. Others may even allow you to bid behind the scene...

Can you recommend any good car auction websites? I never bought a car via auction.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Well I've only been to local auctions here in SoCal. Can't speak for any auctions out there in your area because I don't know any in Florida.

If you are really interested though one thing I will recommend is that you only bid on cars locally and/or that you are willing and able to check out before you buy. Seems self explanatory but you'll be surprised how often people bid on cars far away on online auctions like Copart USA because the prices are so low then get burned when they actually win and don't know how they are going to move the car...not to mention repair it. If you use one like that, I would recommend that you only bid on cars you can see before it's sold. They have a pretty decent search engine to help you stick to only cars in a certain area if you like.

Try to get VIN and do the research history too before you buy. Although carfax is popular, I prefer AutoCheck because they give you more info and are a bit more thorough. Either is better than neither...you don't want to find out after you buy that the car was in a head-on collision with used airbags and frame damage in the chassis. It may sound funny but in this market if you don't look at cars first before you buy, you will find that pictures can actually be deceiving...believe-it-or-not. Always wait till you see it and satisfactorily check its condition before you commit to payment. Local auctions are less of a problem in this regard because they tend to have quicker turnover.

Speaking of which, you should be prepared to do some research for local auctions in your area just because that's how you find out which are the best auctions for you. It's best imo, to look locally where your local government and car dealers, insurance companies, car rentals, law enforcement, general services departments, impound yards, etc. get rid of their inventory when they are overstocked. Sometimes they have a local auctioneer handle it which may hold auctions at certain times of the year, month, or even week just depending on how many cars that they consistently need to liquidate and how regular they need to liquidate them.

Keep in mind that there may be some auctions difficult to get a good buy because this is how used car dealers get their stock many times and some auctions may advertise to the public.

The public ones can be the least beneficial unless they have large stock because the bids will usually come in high (especially for popular vehicles) since the buyers are comparing them to market rate, many times they do not check the history or state of the vehicle so they may overestimate the value of the car, and they are not trying to cover a profit margin like the dealers. However this can sometimes still be a good venue if you are looking for an unpopular car.

I think the FiST popularity will depend on the clientele. It is still fairly unpopular except among certain circles so that issue may be sort of be a wildcard. If it's your first auction, try to just sit and watch how it flows and get used to it before you start bidding. Set a limit before the bidding starts and try to stick with it...you don't want to be stuck with a car that you overbidded on either and it's easier than most people think to get caught in the bid flow until the winner becomes the one who realized it and stopped bidding first! Lol.

Happy Bidding and good luck.

Thx for the advice....Well.....I do know one thing....my max price is $15,000 with recaros....I saw one online for just under $13,000 and 49,000 miles....