Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is it worth trading in the fiesta for the RS?

Nope.

Go to YouTube, search for "The Smoking Tire", watch all the videos with Matt driving his Focus RS and the modded Fiesta STs (there should be 3). All those videos have been posted within the last couple months so they should be easy to find by going through their video posting history.

The cliff-notes version if you don't want to sit through all of that: the Fiesta ST is a runner car with the same practicality while the Focus RS is harsh-riding and somewhat numb to the road.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That and be prepared to pay 5k-10k over Msrp by most dealers due to the unique factor of own one. I looked into it....Msrp was 37k dealer tached on another 10k to make it 47k out the Door....and that's where I went was out the Door.[thumb]

That and be prepared to pay 5k-10k over Msrp by most dealers due to the unique factor of own one. I looked into it....Msrp was 37k dealer tached on another 10k to make it 47k out the Door....and that's where I went was out the Door.[thumb]
Exact same thing happened to me lol. Never looked back! [driving]

I always wanted a Focus RS.

I originally leased my FiST in 2014 to hold me over till the FoRS came out. Test drove one, didn't buy it. Yes the FoRS is faster, but it doesn't really FEEL faster; nor do I feel as connected to the road and the driving experience as I was in the FiST. I don't think it's worth it when the FiST gives way more smiles per gallon.

my dealer is willing to sell me the RS for msrp, no markup.
they have one for 37k (sunroof option :(.....)

TUX15ST

Is this a serious question? Hell yes trade it in if you get a decent deal and can afford it, i dont think most of the people on this forum would keep their fiesta over an rs if money wasn't an issue just sayin.

I could afford it, I am paying taxes and not getting any returns afterall, I think that is the benchmark for success... or bad accountant... :(, but I also already went ahead and purchased a bunch of parts to upgrade the FiST. Maybe I'll grab one as a second car later in life when there is a need for it (wife learns to drive).

If they didn't mark it up when I was in the market for a car, I'd be in a RS now... I would never pay dealer markup for a car, money is not spent that way.

zanethan

I'd have to drive the RS first. I have been anxiously awaiting It's arrival since it was announced (not that I can afford one). It's a very impressive feat of engineering and I would love the chance to drive one.

That being said, are you going to track it? If not when are you really going to be able to use all that engineering you're paying for. I have owned high HP monsters in the past and have come to the conclusion that I would much rather have a lower HP quick car that I can hoon on the street over those cars that require doubling or tripling the speed limit to be fun. It's all about how it feels to me.

If you can afford it the I would at least take a look at the FoRS and see how it feels. Just be weary of dealer tricks they might say they're selling it at MSRP but there might be hidden "fees" come paperwork time.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Only you can decide if its "worth" it...

Just take an FoRS out for a test drive and read the reviews...

If it makes you happy and is within your financial means then go for it....YOLO

Oh a toughie and no simple answer unless your confident in what makes you happy

My personal experience was me waiting over 4 years for the RS not to mention countless hours and contribution to the community I have made with research, theories, and so forth. That wasn't enough for me to get one when a killer deal came up for the FiST basically a left over for 20K fully loaded. Money wasn't an issue though and it was more about time. I was tired of waiting and people who ordered when the banks opened still were waiting 10+ months later, my dealer I work at still didn't get theirs until after a year. This is why I bought a FiST instead of the RS that I could argue to myself with knowingly strong decisions and forgoing the years I put into research for the vehicle.

The strongest reason and kind of a new one for me around that time was my commute. I was getting extremely bored with my FoST on my 15 min stop and go heavy trafficked back road commute. My old job was even closer but there were roads I could open a bit on and actually get above 35, not to mention I could take the highway for one exit and keep it pinned the whole time lol.

I did as much research as I could for the FiST but basically came to the conclusion a Hybrid FiST could reach the same power to weight as a tuned RS. I wasn't expecting the FiST to be so damn good and I'm talking little things that I couldn't let go in the FoST, like horrid wheel hop (only cured with all 3 mounts), Impossible Heel & Toe ( FiST is better but not perfect) The horrid top end power with a tune (Again FiST is better but stil needs a turbo upgrade). As I drove the FiST my parts list that I originally made up off my experience with the FoST dwindled. The RS was my answer to the FoST and it's limitations, basically 10K+ to get the FoST to where I wanted on top of the 3K I put into it. I mean even the intercooler in the FiST does a way better job then the stocker in the FoST it's almost ok where the FoST was pure rubbish.

I only have 2k on mine so the real test will be when I slap a Hybrid on there and see how I like it then. I would say this though, if I still worked at my old job even though it was for Chevy lol, I would of waited longer for the RS. A light small vehicle suits my needs/wants better then a heavier version of the vehicle I had. So will I still get the RS, maybe but I'm building the FiST the way I planed first. I need to see how this platform is with aftermarket solutions before I jump ship, it is just worth it where the FoST wasn't.

I honestly think it's a fairly simple question with what I explained. They are different enough to come to a solid conclusion depending on the intention of use. I do not think you will have more fun in the RS just because it is a RS compared to a FiST and basically the solid solutions available to make it a very good vehicle. The RS does have faults, but you can make a wiked car for short money and 380whp for under 2K is easily doable. Things like the harsh ride though which I don't mind there is no amazing solution like MeisterR's as of yet.

The way I look at any purchase when it comes to vehicles is to have the ability to filter out the main goal. There are certain things the RS will have/do that a FiST won't and vise versa. Positives VS Negatives and to me driving impressions is the most important. In that case I don't think it's worth it and I have run a FiST in the back woods going 80+mph on dirt (another reason why I considered it). I don't think the RS brings a bigger smile in technical situations even on snow but the RS does have things the FiST will never have or do and you need to decide if those matter.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
According to sales data on the web average selling price is $42K with options. How many people buying an RS will not add the seats and other options. This solution to "dealer graft" is show them the money...worked for me for my Indy Mustang and Mazda GT.

No I do not believe so. In fact, I don't really understand the RS's place in the market as a whole.

As said before, owners and Matt Farah especially clearly miss their Fiesta and I bet if you asked them if it was worth it over the Fiesta he'd say no. Also it's important to note the Focus RS is literally almost 1000 pounds heavier than the Fiesta ST. You simply can't replace lightness and fun factor.

In my eyes, if you want a better bigger DD, get a Golf R. If you want a better track car, get a Mustang 5.0 w/ PP. I don't think a move to an RS makes financial sense. That's just me though.

*Notes*
Driven all cars mentioned.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The two cars are not comparable in their purpose. I did not like the Focus ST as much as the Fiesta ST........I am sure I would not like the RS any better. Everyone has a purpose for their cars. I will never use the capabilities of the RS, if you will then trade. Why would you care about what others think? You either have a passion about a car and the desire to own one or you don't! My opinion is if you need approval you lack the passion, LOL. [nono]

The two cars are not comparable in their purpose. I did not like the Focus ST as much as the Fiesta ST........I am sure I would not like the RS any better. Everyone has a purpose for their cars. I will never use the capabilities of the RS, if you will then trade. Why would you care about what others think? You either have a passion about a car and the desire to own one or you don't! My opinion is if you need approval you lack the passion, LOL. [nono]
Bold words and deff agree when it comes to FiST vs FoST. Don't forget though many people think they know how to drive or what makes a good car when they really don't. Sometimes getting advise from others can help in certain cases not related to what you stated.

I disagree with them not being comparable, considering I cross shopped them. They are different enough to be able to go one way or the other fairly easy, but also close enough to be confused. Sometimes how a vehicle speaks to the driver under the limit is important as it is at it. They both do this well and are fun at 3/10ths and beyond, FoST not so much 6/10ths+.

The way I see it is at least he asked for peoples opinions rather then being blindly driven by the RS badge. We are a forum to share opinions and I don't think his interest directly relates to a lack of passion, more so some one to push or pull him back from the ledge. I know what you're saying just don't think it applies in this aspect. I feel if the OP truly lacked passion it wouldn't have been a topic at all TBO.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
According to sales data on the web average selling price is $42K with options. How many people buying an RS will not add the seats and other options. This solution to "dealer graft" is show them the money...worked for me for my Indy Mustang and Mazda GT.
You can actually order an RS the way you want it??

I thought that Ford built them the way they did (mostly loaded, like everything else they build for 'stock'), and then allocated them to only their highest volume, or FP/SVT dealers, and the customer either takes it or leaves it as it comes. [???:)]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Around here, that 'market adjustment' dealer gouging ripoff CRAP would be closer to $15K tacked on, judging by how much they raped for the few GT350s they had on the showroom floor. [ohcrap]

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Bold words and deff agree when it comes to FiST vs FoST. Don't forget though many people think they know how to drive or what makes a good car when they really don't. Sometimes getting advise from others can help in certain cases not related to what you stated.

I disagree with them not being comparable, considering I cross shopped them. They are different enough to be able to go one way or the other fairly easy, but also close enough to be confused. Sometimes how a vehicle speaks to the driver under the limit is important as it is at it. They both do this well and are fun at 3/10ths and beyond, FoST not so much 6/10ths+.

The way I see it is at least he asked for peoples opinions rather then being blindly driven by the RS badge. We are a forum to share opinions and I don't think his interest directly relates to a lack of passion, more so some one to push or pull him back from the ledge. I know what you're saying just don't think it applies in this aspect. I feel if the OP truly lacked passion it wouldn't have been a topic at all TBO.
I agree with what you say in general but the comparison was the RS to the FiST....no comparison. $22k vs $42K and AWD, stiff ride, higher insurance, higher maintenance costs. The smile factor will not double like the costs. I'll take my ST Mountune to the TOTD over the RS any day even if the RS is faster. Definitely NOT "worth" it to me.